HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV48490
Name:17 to 21 Leat Street, Tiverton

Summary

Terrace of five two storey red brick houses, built by John Heathcoat in the 1870s.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 951 127
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/330/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TERRACE (XIX - 1870 AD to 1879 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1989, West Exe Spot List (Un-published). SDV349237.

Nos 17-21 Leat Street. Terrace of five houses. Probably built in 1870. Red brick laid in Flemish bond with occasional extra headers; doorways, windows and the quoins adjoining the inset rainwater pipe between nos 20 and 21, dressed with yellow brick. Low chamfered plinth of local volcanic stone ashlar. Cast-iron window-sills. Slated roof. Four yellow-brick chimneys on the ridge, with projecting courses at the top forming entablatures, all of them partly rebuilt in red brick; pots, with one exception, spiked.
Exterior; two storeys. Fronts one-window wide with doorway to right at nos 17,18 19, and 21, and to the left at no 20; nos 17 and 21 have a second upper-storey window above the doorway. All the doorways have round arches, the voussoirs extended in the centre to resemble keystones. Doors each have two tall, moulded panels, all but the one at no 18 with cast iron knockers; plain fanlight. At the right-hand end of the terrace is a similar round-arched opening having a keystone carved with the inscription 'Harmony Place 1870'; it has a tall iron gate with two tiers of spear-headed uprights. Windows have slightly curved arches with imitation keystones like the doorways. All have barred sashes, mostly eight-paned, but six-paned in the additional upper-storey windows at nos 17 and 21. Deeply-projecting, lightly-moulded eaves-cornice. Patterned iron ventilator-grilles set in the plinth. Interiors not inspected. These houses belonged to John Heathcoat and are pencilled in as a later rebuilding on his estate atlas of 1844. The 1871 census return shows only one factory worker among the occupants. Harmony Place seems to have been part of a large back court known as Burgess's houses.


Brayshay, M., 1991, Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon, 93-95 (Article in Serial). SDV348975.

Company house building projects added further new dwellings to the stock during the last quarter of the 19th century. Ten more were erected in Leat Street, including the new passageway entrance to Harmony Place. Other details: Figures 1-2.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93186 ]
SDV348975Article in Serial: Brayshay, M.. 1991. Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon. Southern History. 13. Photocopy. 93-95.
SDV349237Un-published: Department of Environment. 1989. West Exe Spot List. Unknown.

Associated Monuments

MDV48500Part of: Heatcoat Workers Housing, Leat Street, Tiverton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 22 2012 12:25PM