HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV48491
Name:1 to 4 Bridge Buildings, Tiverton

Summary

Terrace of four houses in a detached range immediately south of Heathcoat's factory, on the opposite side of the leat. Probably built in the early-to-mid 19th century. May originally have been a storehouse or workshop.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 952 126
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/331
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485232

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TERRACE (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Brayshay, M., 1991, Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon, 85 (Article in Serial). SDV348975.

The terrace of four houses known as Bridge Buildings survives as three-storey dwellings, but originally this was probably a large storehouse or workshop associated with woollen cloth manufacture and only converted for domestic occupation by Heathcoat in the early 19th century. Other details: Figures 1-2.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Terrace of four houses in a detached range immediately south of Heathcoat's factory, on the opposite side of the leat. Probably built in the early-to-mid 19th century (before 1841).
Materials: solid, rendered walls. Slated roofs, that of the main range hipped. Red brick chimneys on party and end walls of main range. Chimney at west end (facing Leat Street) is arranged as three free-standing shafts linked at the top, while that at the east end (which differs from the rest in being square) has a narrow recessed panel on each side creating a similar effect. All the chimneys have caps with projecting brick courses forming entablatures; each has a set of uniform six-sided pots, six on the end walls and eight on the party walls, except that those between Nos 1 and 2 and 2 and 3, have one louvred pot. Irregular red brick chimneys on rear closet wings at Nos 1-3.
Plan: single-fronted, double-depth, with rear closet wings of varying size.
Exterior: three storeys; closet wings, single-storey. two-window fronts with doorways to right of ground storeys. Twentieth century flush wooden doors with older cast-iron knockers; original fanlights with radial glazing bars at Nos 1-3. Sash windows, eight-paned in ground and third storeys, six-paned in second storey. Moulded board below the eaves, carried round on to blank wall at west end. Rear wall (visible from Leat Street and the factory forecourt) is similar to the front, except that the windows are segmental-headed and all have eight-paned sashes; between Nos 3 and 4, in the second and third storeys, are two smaller four-paned windows. Interior: not inspected.
Subsidiary Features: area railing at the front (west of the terrace), along Leat Street, and adjoining the leat at the end of the back gardens, is of cast-iron with fleurs-de-lys finials to the uprights; pair of matching gates at north end of Leat Street railing. A similar railing extends along the west side of the road into the factory.
History: the terrace is shown as Heathcoat property in the estate atlas of 1844 and was fully occupied at the time of the 1841 census. The tenants then were an overseer (silk and cotton), a machinist, an iron founder and a 50-year old man of independent means. The Borough rate book for 1836 shows three Heathcoat houses of equal rateable value `over water', between the factory and Rossiter's Mill. The latter lay immediately south of the terrace, behind Nos 20-26 (even) West Exe North, and it seems likely that the three houses were part of Bridge Terrace. One of the ratepayers, George Skinner, also appears in the terrace in the 1841 census. Heathcoat may not have built the terrace himself, since it lacks the cast-iron window sills characteristic of his houses. The wooden glazing bars in the windows and fanlights are an important part of the design of this simple building.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93187 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348975Article in Serial: Brayshay, M.. 1991. Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon. Southern History. 13. Photocopy. 85.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 22 2012 12:44PM