HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV48493
Name:Industrial Housing, John Street, Tiverton

Summary

Two terraces of houses built for Heathcoat factory workers on fields to the west of Leat Street during the mid to late 19th century. The northern end of the street was finally completed around the beginning of the 20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 950 127
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/333

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TERRACE (XIX to XX - 1844 AD to 1906 AD (Between))

Full description

Brayshay, M., 1991, Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon, 90-95 (Article in Serial). SDV348975.

The Heatcoat estate survey of 1844 shows that, in a single large field to the west of Quick's Court, 40 new terraced houses were to be erected forming John Street, John's Terrace and part of Wellbrook Street. The western side of the field was built up first, including twelve houses in John Street. But on the opposite side, although clearly planned during his lifetime, the company commenced work only in the mid 1860s, after John Heathcoat's death. However, by 1871 five dwellings in an isolated terrace of seven were finished and occupied, with seven more added linking John Street with Wellbrook Street, where another four houses were built. The houses in the lower half of John Street have no projecting eaves and much simpler facades than those in John's Terrace. All had a front parlour with a kitchen at the back. Single storey scullery tenements projected at the rear. The houses had piped water and privies were located in the yard. Two ordinary bedchambers were provided upstairs, plus a third in the attic above. The new houses were separated from Melbourne Street by three small fields, owned by Thomas Watkins. These were purchased in the 1870s, and by the turn of the century more cottages were erected on Watkin's fields, completeing the upper half of John Street. Although the houses were built over a period of years, the variations in style blend harmoniously together. Other details: Figures 1-2.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93189 ]
SDV348975Article in Serial: Brayshay, M.. 1991. Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon. Southern History. 13. Photocopy. 90-95.

Associated Monuments

MDV48494Parent of: 1 to 15 John Street, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV48496Parent of: 17 to 29 (odd) John Street, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV48495Parent of: 2 and 4 John Street, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV48499Parent of: 26 to 36 (even) John Street, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV48497Parent of: 31 to 35 (odd) John Street, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV48498Parent of: 6 to 24 (even) John Street, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV48492Related to: John's Terrace, Tiverton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 22 2012 2:25PM