HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4872
Name:The Old Chapel Inn

Summary

The remains of St. Anne's Chapel now form part of The Old Chapel Inn. Although much altered it still retains its open wagon roof.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 663 472
Map Sheet:SX64NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBigbury
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishBIGBURY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX64NE/7
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 99614

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV140482.


Sheldon, L., 1937, Devon Inns, 382-383 (Article in Serial). SDV10197.

Remains of St. Anne's Chapel; forms part of The Pickwick Inn. The Pickwick Inn, formerly The Hare and Hounds, is also called St. Anne's Chapel. The back part, now the dining room, was originally a stable for four horses; the rings to which they were once tethered are still in the wall. A building, once five cottages, is attached to one side. On the upper floor is a room with a barrel vault roof. Royalists held secret meetings here. One open fireplace left.


Copeland, G. W., 1947-1949, Untitled Source, 111 (Article in Serial). SDV140480.

The mutilated chapel of St. Anne at Bigbury appears now to serve as a garage.


Department of Environment, 1960, Kingsbridge, 7 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV140479.

The Pickwick Inn at Bigbury consists of a picturesque group of buildings incorporating the desecrated chapel of St. Anne. The main building is mostly 18th century, but the wing adjoining the chapel looks earlier. The chapel, although much altered, retains its 15th century open wagon roof with moulded principals and embattled wall plates.


Department of Environment, 1990, Bigbury, 12 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV140481.

The Pickwick Inn. See DoE for full details.


English Heritage, 2011, Bigbury (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV346670.

Amendment issued to correct the listing address from 'The Pcikwick Inn' to 'The Old Chapel Inn'.


Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2011, Bigbury (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV346672.

An Inn of the early 19th century, incorporating remains of a 15th century chapel and a house of 17th or 18th century date.

Lime washed rubble walling, possibly including some cob, with a hipped roof of asbestos tiles and some plain clay tiles.
The chapel has a five-bay, arch-braced barrel roof with one moulded purlin with hollows and a bowtell and a brattished plate. There is a fireplace beneath the former altar. An 18th century cupbooard surround has fluted pilasters and a key frieze. There are 18th century fielded doors. The former chapel is now a bedroom, but retains its historical importance and enough of the fabric to still be recognisable.

The inn was at one time known as the Hare and the Hounds and then as the Pickwick Inn. The Ordnance Survey map of 1886 indicates that part of the service range was formerly a smithy.


Brown, J., 2011, The Old Chapel Inn, St Ann's Chapel, Bigbury-on-Sea: Historic Building Assessment, 33 (Report - non-specific). SDV347706.

The Old Chapel Inn is a vernacular structure built from locally available materials, at the centre of which lie the remains of St Ann's Chapel, dating from the 15th century. When the building was restored in 1985 the remains of a clay oven were discovered, an important survival of an early bread oven. The chapel has subsequently been incorporated into a group of buildings of varying periods. The north range of the L-shaped cottage linking to the chapel appears to be 17th century in date, while the part facing the road may have been built in two further phases, then remodelled in the 18th century when 16-pane sash windows were inserted. The principal corner building was originally built as a dwelling in the 18th century, only coming into use as a public house and inn from the mid 19th century. The building retains a high degree of original fabric, particularly on the interior where some of the original 16-paned sashes survive at first floor level. See report for full details. Other details: Plans, photographs.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV10197Article in Serial: Sheldon, L.. 1937. Devon Inns. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 382-383.
SDV140479List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Kingsbridge. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 7.
SDV140480Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1947-1949. Transactions of the Plymouth Institute. 21. 111.
SDV140481List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1990. Bigbury. Historic Houses Register. 12.
SDV140482Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX64NE3.
SDV346670List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2011. Bigbury. Amendment to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interes. A4 Stapled.
SDV346672List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2011. Bigbury. Amendment to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interes. A4 Stapled.
SDV347706Report - non-specific: Brown, J.. 2011. The Old Chapel Inn, St Ann's Chapel, Bigbury-on-Sea: Historic Building Assessment. A4 Stapled + Digital. 33.

Associated Monuments

MDV4873Related to: St. Ann's Well south of Holwell Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5240 - Historic Building Assessment of The Old Chapel Inn, St Ann's Chapel, Bigbury-on -Sea

Date Last Edited:Aug 16 2011 11:20AM