HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4874
Name:Court Barton

Summary

Farmhouse, 17th century, originally a three-room cross-passage plan with a two-storey gabled porch and external stair turret. Altered and extended in the late 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 695 478
Map Sheet:SX64NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAveton Gifford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishAVETON GIFFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX64NE/9
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 99478

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

ADAMS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV140487.

Court barton. Remains of manor house and barton. The manor was held by the gifford, damarell and prous families in the 13th and 14th centuries, coming later under the berry family. Court barton, on the west side of the church, was the ancient manor house alluded to in "bishop stafford's register" (adams).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV140492.

Osa=sx64ne9/photograph.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV140493.

Doe/hhr: kingsbridge rd/(1960)4.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV140494.

Adams, m. /dcnq/4,pt.1(1906-1907)8/aveton giffard church.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV140495.

Reichel, o. J. /hundreds of devon/(1928-1938)253,254,304,306,309,310,325-327, 329/the hundred of ermington in early times.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV140496.

Wakeham, j. S. /onb/(1904)11.


Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV140497.

Aph=dap/fw 6a(6/3/1986).


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Vis=18/12/1950 (os). The eastern part of court barton is definitely the oldest, constructed of local stone shale slabs and with thick walls and chimneys. The windows and roof are modern (os).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV242.

Aveton giffard was avetone in domesday. It was held by ruald adobed. When he entered religion, it was given, like the rest of his estates, to the ancestor of the giffard family. Early descents of the manor are given (reichel).


WAKEHAM, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV281049.

The eastern walls of the farmhouse are the remains of an ancient barton (wakeham).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326211.

A much altered house of the 17th century, rubble built with a two storey porch, with slate roof and brick stacks (doe).


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Farmhouse. C17 and late C19. Thin bedded slate-stone rubble, slate roofs to clay tile ridges, stacks raised in brick. Was a 3-room cross-passage plan with 2-storey gabled porch and external stair turret. In late C19 the section to left of porch rebuilt; also a range added parallel with main block at back, and wing at right angles, back right. Two storeys: to left of porch a 2-light case- ment over French doors, both to brick segmental arches. Wavy bargeboard. Porch has 2-light casement above plain string course over arched opening with small hollow mould edge; to the right are two 3-light casements and a French door, formerly also a casement. First floor has three 3-light casements with glazing bars. The right return, built into the slopes of the churchyard, is plain, with a big stone stack raised in brick; the corner is in part corbelled out. The back wing joins at ridge level to show a half gable. The left end returns plain to a gable with wavy bargeboard and small brick stack. Ridge stack to right of cross-passage. At the back the curved wall of the stair turret has a small deep-set 2-light casement, wing has a 16-pane sash over 3-light casement to wood lintel, a 2-light, and plank door; to right a 3-light glazing bar casement over 2-light with horizontal bars. Interior: stone floor to cross-passage, now blocked at the back; inner door to porch has basket-handle, arch is plank and fillet with nail-head. Parlour to right has 3 boxed beams, and in cross corridor is a cupboard recess with fluted pilasters and Greek key embellish- ment. Heavy transverse beam also to kitchen. Early stair is big spiral, in wood; at its top is a peaked-head doorway into the corridor. The Victorian addition has a straight stair with heavy newels, running parallel with back wall. Roof trusses in the early section are pegged, with cambered ties, and unusually close-spaced. An early photograph in the house shows the building before the Victorian transformation, when there was a tripartite sash to the left of the porch. The farm is in an important position on the approach to the Church of St Andrew (q.v.).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV140487Migrated Record: ADAMS.
SDV140492Migrated Record:
SDV140493Migrated Record:
SDV140494Migrated Record:
SDV140495Migrated Record:
SDV140496Migrated Record:
SDV140497Aerial Photograph:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV242Migrated Record:
SDV281049Migrated Record: WAKEHAM.
SDV326211Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #93285 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 27 2014 2:39PM