HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV4875
Name:Aveton Gifford Bridges and Causeway

Summary

Two bridges over the River Avon and a mill leat to the north, joined by a causeway. Contains some late medieval fabric, but widened and extended in the early 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 692 470
Map Sheet:SX64NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAveton Gifford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishCHURCHSTOW
Ecclesiastical ParishAVETON GIFFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX64NE/10
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 99451

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX64NE10 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV351384.

Site visit on 2nd January 1953. The 6th arch mentioned by James Green is probably the single span at SX69294720, in appearance identical with each of the other five. The bridge is in a good state of repair and the medieval or downstream side is shown on the ground plan.
Site visit on 22nd July 1986. Aveton Gifford Bridge as described above.
Photographs.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Aveton Gifford Bridge' shown.


Chope, R. P., 1926 - 1927, Early Bridges, 95-96 (Article in Serial). SDV2294.

Bequest made by Bishop Stafford in 1418, and an indulgence granted by Bishop Lacy in 1440, for the upkeep of the bridge.


Henderson, C. + Jervoise, E., 1938, Old Devon Bridges, 27-28 (Monograph). SDV2296.

Aveton Gifford Bridge, described by James Green, has six arches. At the eastern end were three arches, and a further five at the western end. These on each side being part of the causeway approaching the bridge. The five medieval arches over the main river still exist, widened on the upstream side. The bridge is mentioned 1427, 1440, in association with indulgences in 1521, and repair was authorised in 1662. The sixth arch mentioned by James Green is probably the single span at SX69294720, in appearance identical with each of the other five.


Pill, D. H., 1966, The Administration of the Diocese of Exeter under Bishop Veysey, 267 (Article in Serial). SDV356.


Griffith, F. M., 1986, DAP/FW, 6A (Aerial Photograph). SDV147956.


Department of Environment, 1989, Aveton Gifford, 4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV340334.


George, Brian., 1997, James Green, 156-7 (Monograph). SDV351385.

Appears on 1809 list of county bridges.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Map object based on this source.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Aveton Gifford bridges and Causeway. Also in Churchstow. Two bridges over River Avon and mill leat. Contains some late mediaeval fabric, but widened and extended in early C19. Rubble. At the north end, over former mill leat, 2 segmental arches to flush voussoirs and triangular cutwater; near horizontal squared parapet runs down to Bridge House on the west side, and continuously from turning to Marsh Mill towards south. At south end a six-arch bridge, one of these mostly absorbed in later embankment, flush voussoirs, triangular cutwaters; parapet walls continuous on east side linking with parapet to north bridge, and taken along to garage forecourt on west side. Parapet wall has series of vertical through stones in regular bays, characteristic of bridges in the area. The ford is said to have been first bridged c.1440; a major widening of c.2 m occurred on the upstream side. Crossing still of importance and heavily used.
Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV147956Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1986. DAP/FW. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 6A.
SDV2294Article in Serial: Chope, R. P.. 1926 - 1927. Early Bridges. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 14. Unknown. 95-96.
SDV2296Monograph: Henderson, C. + Jervoise, E.. 1938. Old Devon Bridges. Old Devon Bridges. Unknown. 27-28.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340334List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Aveton Gifford. Historic Houses Register. Website. 4.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV351384Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX64NE10. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV351385Monograph: George, Brian.. 1997. James Green. James Green: Canal Builder and County Surveyor (1781 - 1849). Paperback Volume. 156-7.
SDV356Article in Serial: Pill, D. H.. 1966. The Administration of the Diocese of Exeter under Bishop Veysey. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 98. Unknown. 267.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 10 2013 3:07PM