HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV48922
Name:Vicarage, Meavy

Summary

House, formerly vicarage. 17th century re-modelled and extended in 18th and 19th centuries. Stucco and rendered rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof. Three rendered stacks, one at each gable end of main part of house and lateral stack at rear. According to a terrier of 1613 (which locates this building in relation to the Church) the house then consisted of hall, parlour with chamber over and two other ground floor rooms with two chambers over.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 541 672
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMeavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NW/157
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92705

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (Constructed, XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building is depicted on the Tithe Map. Orchard shown to the rear (north) of the dwelling.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Rectory is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

House, formerly vicarage. 17th century re-modelled and extended in 18th and 19th centuries. Stucco and rendered rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof. Three rendered stacks, one at each gable end of main part of house and lateral stack at rear. According to a terrier of 1613 (which locates this building in relation to the Church) the house then consisted of hall, parlour with chamber over and two other ground floor rooms with two chambers over.
A malthouse or beerhouse was adjoining. These were all on the north side of a courtyard; on the south side was a dovehouse, a stable and a little gatehouse. There was a barn on the west side of the courtyard. A terrier of 1680 lists hall, parlour, kitchen, dairy and buttery with a gallery and four chambers above. The size of the house appears to have been little altered by 1727 according to the terrier of that date although there is no mention of the gatehouse. Although the earliest terrier makes it clear that the hall was still unceiled the subsequent ones do not specify where the chambers were - though the number remains the same - making it difficult to assess when the hall was floored over. Hall heated by rear lateral stack, lower room probably unheated.
In later 18th century the house was extended by one room at the right-hand end and a wing was added behind this extension in the late 18th/early 19th century. The house was re-fronted probably at this stage then further extended at the right-hand end in the circa mid 19th and early 20th century. Two storeys. Asymmetrical 5 window front of early 19th century 16 and 12 pane hornless sashes on the 1st floor. On the ground floor is a 16 pane sash to the left, a 4-light 19th century casement with small panes to the left of centre and a late 19th century 4-pane sash to the right. To the right of centre is early 19th century plaster doorcase of pilasters with moulded cornice; 19th century 4 panelled door, heavily moulded. The simply moulded eaves cornice is probably 18th century. Set back slightly from the right gable end is mid 19th century extension with 20th century addition projecting to the front from the right-hand end. Interior: Early 19th century open string stick baluster staircase inserted into former inner room. Source: D.R.O. Other details: LB UID: 92705.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #93354 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV2317Related to: St. Peter's Church, Meavy (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 13 2016 2:37PM