HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV48927
Name:Horrabridge, St. John the Baptist's Church

Summary

Parish church. 1893 with porch dated, 1913, by Fellowes Prynne. Snecked greenstone, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges and crestings, cross finials to nave and chancel. West porch, nave, north and south aisles, chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 512 696
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHorrabridge
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND MONACHORUM

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615578
  • National Monuments Record: SX56NW29
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NW/182

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIX - 1893 AD to 1893 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1892, Unknown title (Article in Serial). SDV269168.

Architectural features from the 15th century chapel re-used in the current church.


Chanter, J. F., 1927, Sixteenth Report on Church Plate, 113 (Article in Serial). SDV239594.

Chalices; a; Georgian style. Bowl cylindrical. Inscription "the gift of Sir Ralph Lopes Bart 1838". No marks. B; modern medieval style. Bowl conical, circular stem, small knop. Marks; T P and London 1895.
Patens; a; plain on stand. Inscription as on chalice A. No marks. B; plain plate. Marks; T P and london hallmarks for 1896.
Flagon; a domed lid tankard with spout. Marks; W B(William Bell) and London hallmarks for 1820. Inscription; "the gift of Ralph Lopes Bart 1838".


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1305856 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

HORRABRIDGE STATION ROAD, Horrabridge SX 56 NW 10/12 Church of St John the Baptist - GV II* Parish church. 1893 with porch dated, 1913, by Fellowes Prynne. Snecked greenstone, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges and crestings, cross finials to nave and chancel. West porch, nave, north and south aisles, chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber. Nave and chancel in one has a tall fleche with lead broached base and finial over the crossing with the north and south transept; the roof of the nave is swept down over the aisles, which are shorter than the nave, wooden bellcote and clock. West gable end of nave has two 2-light windows with cusped lights, quatrefoil in tracery and hood-mould, 2-light flat-headed window with cusped heads and hood-mould to north and south; weathered diagonal buttresses, plinth. Flat-roofed porch has central bay broken forward with 4-centred arched opening, hood-mould with uncut stops, angle buttresses with undercut mouldings, string course and brattished parapet stepped up at centre of lantern and cross. 4-bay north aisle has continuous pitch of roof to nave, west porch with door with shouldered head, weathered diagonal buttresses, windows under eaves, outer ones 3- light, inner ones 2-light, all with cusped heads, flat heads and chamfered surrounds; external stair with half-arch below, leading.to upper door to north vestry; plinth. South aisle has west door and 2 windows to left, as on north aisle, gabled south chapel has 3-light Perpendicular style window with pointed arch, 2 straight mullions and upper tracery, hoomould and stops with carved flowers. Chancel has 3-light east window with 4-centred arch, mullions and brattished transom, cusped heads and upper tracery with central quatrefoil, hood-mould with stops with carved flowers, lancet above, diagonal buttresses and central low weathered buttress with foundation stone; 3-light window to north and south under eaves as on aisles, plinth. Gabled north vestry has at lower level two 2-light 2-centred arched windows, at upper ground level a 3-light Perpendicular style window with lancet above, cross finial and buttresses; single cusped lancet to east, upper west door with shouldered head, lower ground level plain door in chamfered surround. Gabled south organ chamber has 3-light south window as on south chapel, buttress and diagonal buttress. Interior: porch has 2-centred arched inner opening with 2 moulded orders to surround, hood-mould with mask stops, half-glazed double doors; recess right and left with cusped stone tracery heads, ceiled. Nave has segmental head to west door with 2 chamfered orders, stepped cill string above, chamfered heads to windows; 2-bay north and south arcades with wide 4-centred arches, 2 wave mouldings, continuous hood-mould with ballflower stops, octagonal piers; roof of common rafters, collars and scissors trusses, one row of purlins; octagonal stone pulpit base on cylindrical stem attached at base of north east pier with wrought iron top. North aisle has windows with segmental rere-arches, 2-light windows with pointed segmental rere-arches, south aisle has 2 bays to west door and half-arch to east leading to organ chamber and vestry. North aisle has pitched roof with common rafters and one row of purlins, one collar from a corbel on pier of north arcade, south aisle has double-chamfered half- arch rising to pier of south arcade, roof pitched to west, separate roof over chapel bays of common rafters, collars and one row of purlins. Chancel arch formed by moulded pilaster north and south with panelled wooden soffit with quatrefoils in panels, painted and brattished rood beam and cross, ceiled wagon roof of 4 bays with moulded and painted principals; wide 4-centred double-chamfered arch north and south, sedilia and Perpendicular style piscina to south, aumbry with door and strap hinges to north, north cill sting with ballflower stops, moulded east cill string; vestry and organ chamber have ceiled roofs. Fittings: Octagonal stone font in nave with carved sides on octagonal stem, coloured marble colonnettes; fine set of choir stalls with bench ends carved with variety of foliage and flowers, pews of half-scissors truss design; pair of large gilded candle holders in chancel on square pedestals; carved wooden panelled reredos with figures of the saints; mid C20 glass in windows of chancel and south aisle. (Sources: Pevsner, N : Buildings of England: South Devon 1952).

Listing NGR: SX5123869670

Sources / Further Reading

SDV239594Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1927. Sixteenth Report on Church Plate. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 59. A5 Hardback. 113.
SDV269168Article in Serial: Unknown. 1892. Unknown title. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 48. Unknown.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #93360 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1305856.

Associated Monuments

MDV103110Related to: Horrabridge War Memorial (Monument)
MDV56205Related to: Remains of medieval chapel, Horrabridge (Building)
MDV100188Related to: Walls surrounding churchyard of St John the Baptist, Horrabridge (Monument)

Associated Finds

  • FDV4884 - CHURCH PLATE (XIX - 1820 AD to 1895 AD)

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 20 2018 9:06AM