HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV48941
Name:Burrator Inn, Dousland

Summary

Formerly the Manor Hotel; the building was constructed in 1880 and has been altered a number of times since then, including the addition of an extension in 1910 which was converted from public bar area into restaurant in 1984. Changed name in 1960 to the Burrator Inn.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 537 688
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMeavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NW/195

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOTEL (Constructed, XIX - 1880 AD to 1889 AD (Between))
  • INN (Altered, XX - 1984 AD to 1989 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The 'Manor Hotel' is depicted on the early 20th century historic map (not shown on the 1880s version).


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 12-14 (Monograph). SDV359976.

First built in 1880 as the Manor Hotel, now known as the Burrator Inn. Building has undergone many changes since construction; the original building was smaller and the interior was made up of small rooms leading off a passageway that ran along where the bar is situated. At one end was the Spanish bar (now the dining room) and at the other end, and just around the corner, was the village post office. The Post Office closed down in 1959 and this is now the games area for pool and darts. The extension added in 1910 originally served as the public bar and was converted for use as a restaurant in 1984. Name was changed in 1960 from the Manor Hotel to Burrator Inn. The former Plymouth and Princetown Railway (ceased running in 1957), used to pass by to the rear, stopping at the Dousland Halt station situated on the opposite side of the inn's car park. Said to be haunted.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

'The Burrator' (public house) is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #93368 ]
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 12-14.

Associated Monuments

MDV45589Related to: Hillcrest bridge, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV76874Related to: Manor Farm, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV19112Related to: Plymouth and Dartmoor Railway (Dartmoor section) (Monument)
MDV19902Related to: The Devonport Leat, Dartmoor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 23 2017 10:44AM