HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV48962
Name:School west of Sheepstor

Summary

Now a dwelling, this purpose-built school was opened in 1870, along with accommodation for the teacher. Pupil numbers were always limited and the school closed in 1923. Pupils from Sheepstor attended the new school in Meavy after this time. The Reverend Hugh Breton (along with other village rectors) had a close relationship with the school.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 557 677
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/555

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX to XX - 1870 AD to 1923 AD (Between))
  • HOUSE (XX to Unknown - 1923 AD (Post))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'School' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 62-67 (Monograph). SDV359884.

The are records of Dames' schools before the establishment of a purpose-built school in 1870, on a site to the west of the village. This site had been the location of two cottages used as poorhouses. The construction of the school was ensured by Sir Massey Lopes, who with the Managers, helped raise subscriptions and guaranteed the expenses for the first year. Other subscribers were the curate, the Reverend Daykin and the Rajah of Sarawack (who loved Sheepstor and is buried in the churchyard). Accommodation was also provided for the teacher on site.
Details of various teachers given, as well as the rectors who had a close association with the school, including the Reverend Hugh Breton, later famous for his books on Dartmoor and his efforts on behalf of the church. He loved Sheepstor and greatly cared for the welfare of the children at the school.
Pupil numbers were always small; between 10 and 22 on average. The school struggled for supplies and by 1916 closure was discussed as a wartime economy measure (pupil numbers were down to 10 by this time). It continued however until 1923 and in its latter years had unusually high attendance for a Dartmoor school.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Building shown on the modern map is now a dwelling.


West Dartmoor Federation, 2016, West Dartmoor Federation, Accessed 2016 (Website). SDV359509.

In 1923 the school at Sheepstor closed which meant that a new school was needed in Meavy for the children from both villages. Meavy School on its present site on land given by Sir Henry Lopes was opened in 1926 with 47 children on the roll, the first official school day being 11th January.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #93376 ]
SDV359509Website: West Dartmoor Federation. 2016. West Dartmoor Federation. http://www.westdartmoor.org.uk/. Website. Accessed 2016.
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 62-67.

Associated Monuments

MDV114784Related to: Meavy Primary School (Building)
MDV41534Related to: Old Church House, south of Sheepstor parish church (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 15 2016 10:54AM