HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV49310
Name:Heathcoat Hall, Wellbrook Street,Tiverton


Workingmen's social club, built 1874-6 by John Hayward of Exeter for John Heathcoat. Grey local stone ashlar front with dressings of Ham stone.


Grid Reference:SS 951 126
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/337
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485435

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (XIX - 1874 AD to 1876 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Map object based on this Source.

Snell, F. J., 1892, Untitled Source (Monograph). SDV37599.

Opened 1876. For express benefit of Heathcoat employees, whose institute prior to this had been in a large upper room over a row of cottages in Quick's Court.

Benn, N. + Keene, B., 1985, Heathcoat's Housing, Part 1: 1816-1900 (Article in Serial). SDV349219.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 818 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Hall has five large arched windows and projecting wings.

Department of Environment, 1989, West Exe Spot List (Un-published). SDV349237.

Brayshay, M., 1991, Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon, 93 (Article in Serial). SDV348975.

In the early 1870s plans were devised by the architect John Hayward for a workman's hall and six adjacent cottages. Work on the hall was completed in 1877.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this Source.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Workingmen's social club. 1874-6 by John Hayward of Exeter. Grey local stone ashlar front with dressings of Ham stone. Slated roof. Original chimney of same stone as front wall, at right-hand end of middle range; top designed as an entablature. Red brick chimney of about 1900 at left-hand end.
Exterior: single-storey centre range with two-storey wings. Symmetrical classical design with five-bay centre range flanked by projecting, gabled wings each two windows wide. Centre range has five large round arched windows standing on a broad sill band, the heads of the arches having moulded archivolts with keystones and continued moulded imposts. Middle window truncated to accommodate a doorway with projecting stone surround; moulded architrave, plain frieze and moulded cornice on brackets. Two-panelled double doors. Outer windows have four-paned sashes, the whole enclosed by margin lights, those below impost level being designed as very narrow sashes. Window above doorway has similar glazing. In the wings, windows are flat headed with moulded architraves and keystones; continued sills to second storey, linking up with continued imposts in centre range. On inner face of each wing a round-arched doorway with moulded architrave and keystone; 20th century flush wooden doors. Centre range has moulded eaves cornice carried round sides of the wings; latter have moulded barge-boards resting on the ends of the eaves cornice, forming a sort of open triangular pediment. Interior not inspected.
History: the Devon Record Office has John Hayward's bill of 1874 for: `Attending Mr Fisher on the site of intended workmen's Hall; advising about the buildings, and supplying ground plan, elevation, and working drawings for them'. The bill, for £6 6s was paid on 7 December 1876. In that month a billiard table was bought from George Wright & Co of London, complete with cues, balls, etc., for 32 guineas. White's Directory of Devon, 1878, describes the building as `Heathcoat Hall`, AND `Working Men's'S Institution'...built in 1876 by Sir John H Amory-Heathcoat, Bart., M.P., at a cost of £1,000... It has a large hall, capable of seating 600 persons, and used for lectures, concerts, &c.; reading, billiard, smoke rooms; and a circulating library of upwards of 400 volumes'. F.J. Snell, Chronicles of Twyford, 1892 (p.356) calls it the Heathcoat Memorial Hall, opened 23rd May 1876, and says it was `expressly for the benefit of the factory employees, whose institute prior to this date had been in a large upper room extending over a row of cottages in Quick's Court'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 818.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348975Article in Serial: Brayshay, M.. 1991. Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton, Devon. Southern History. 13. Photocopy. 93.
SDV349219Article in Serial: Benn, N. + Keene, B.. 1985. Heathcoat's Housing, Part 1: 1816-1900. Lowman Chronicle: Newsletter of the Lowman Group. 40. Unknown.
SDV349237Un-published: Department of Environment. 1989. West Exe Spot List. Unknown.
SDV37599Monograph: Snell, F. J.. 1892. Chronicles of Twyford. Unknown.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Feb 23 2012 11:16AM