HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV49493
Name:Yeo Farmstead, Chagford


Yeo medieval farmstead dates to at least the early 14th century and is a complex site including many varied buildings including the mill, farmhouse, barn/dwelling, cottage/bakehouse, office building and other agricultural buildings. Was connected with the Perryman family for over 400 years until being sold in 1987. The road to Teigncombe originally ran through the centre of the farmstead but was diverted to the south in the late 19th century.


Grid Reference:SX 678 865
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68NE/34

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIV to XXI - 1330 AD to 2011 AD (Between))

Full description

Griffiths, D., 10/01/1989, Yeo Farm, Chagford (Report - Interim). SDV351692.

When Yeo farm changed hands in 1987 it ended a connection of more than four centuries with the Perryman family. Wallace J. Perryman (died 1974) was of conservative temperament with an enthusiasm for the history of the farm and his family. As a result the farm has retained much of its 19th century character. The buildings include two former dwelling houses of probably 16th or 17th century date and a 19th century watermill which was used at different times for grinding corn, sawing timber, crushing bones and generating electricity.
Early documentary history of Yeo given from its first mention in 1332 to 1660. There is no evidence, however, for the history of Yeo between 1660 and 1780. Susequently Yeo is mentioned in the Land Tax Records from 1780-1832 by which time the Perrymans were living there. The farmhouse was remodelled in 1842, judging by a datestone over the door and the front garden may also have been laid out at this time which involved the demolition of a large buildng shown on the 1840 Tithe Map. The mill was probably built in 1854; an account for a new waterwheel in 1877-8 refers to it being a replacement for that built in 1854. In 1863-4 the road which originally ran through the farmstead was diverted to its present route around the edge. The accounts mention 'blowing rocks for new road' and 'making bridge for new road'. The farm started generating electricity in 1893.

Laithwaite, J. M. W., 1988, Yeo Farm, Chagford (Un-published). SDV226613.

Yeo Farm was first documented in the lay subsidy of 1332. It is subsequently referred to in a series of leases etc between 1378 and 1660, and in the land tax records from 1780 to 1832. The farm now consists of farmhouse, office, mill and farm buildings which remain largely unaltered since the 19th century. From the mid-16th century the holding was divided into two until around 1805, when they were again combined by John Perryman. Until the 1860s, the main road ran through the holding but around this time was diverted around the farm to the south.
The Perryman family had a long connection (over 400 years) with the farm until it changed hands in 1987 and members of the family deposited a large collection of documentation relating to the farm with the Devon Record Office in the early 1980s. See report for a full history of the site.

Dartmoor National Park Authority, 1993 - 1997, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997 (Report - Survey). SDV344544.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 11/03/1997.

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV226613Un-published: Laithwaite, J. M. W.. 1988. Yeo Farm, Chagford. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV344544Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 1993 - 1997. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997. dartmoor National Park Authority. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93517 ]
SDV351692Report - Interim: Griffiths, D.. 10/01/1989. Yeo Farm, Chagford. Dartmoor National Park Authority. A4 Stapled.

Associated Monuments

MDV49464Parent of: Animal shelter at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV33345Parent of: Blacksmith's workshop at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV33346Parent of: Cart Shed at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV33268Parent of: Cottage or Kitchen at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV104624Parent of: Front Garden Walls of Yeo Farm, Chagford (Monument)
MDV49466Parent of: Linhay at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV33343Parent of: Office at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV49465Parent of: Shippon adjoining Yeo Corn Mill, Chagford (Building)
MDV33344Parent of: The Stable, Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV6156Parent of: Yeo Farm Mill, Chagford (Building)
MDV19339Parent of: Yeo Farmhouse, Chagford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 30 2013 9:16AM