HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV49501
Name:7 and 8 Mill Street, Bideford

Summary

House and shop with deeds to 1722. Used as a bakery and as printer's premises. Remodelled in the mid 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 453 266
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/246

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SHOP (XVIII to XIX - 1722 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Timms, S. C., 1977-1981, Bideford Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346164.

Large, four-storey, 17th- to 19th century building.


Laithwaite, M., 1988 - 1989, Resurvey of Historic Buildings in Bideford (Un-published). SDV341490.

Nos 7 -8 Mill Street. House and shop probably 18th century, remodelled early and mid 19th century. Solid rendered front wall, rear wall and side walls of stone rubble. Stone rubble chimney on each side wall. Two rooms wide and one room deep with stair-cases at rear. Four storeys, 2 widely spaced windows, wide ground storey has mid 19th century shop front with a pair of 6-paned display windows canted in the centre towards a pair of glazed doors. In front of shop doors a late 19th century red mosaic pavement with a black and yellow patterned border, inscribed in white letters 'Wilson Bros Printers' with the numbers 7 and 8.

Rear wall shows traces of blocked casement windows with pegged wooden frames, probably 18th century. At left hand (south) end is the butt end of a 2 storeyed cot wing with a stone weathering let into the main wall of the house above roofline.

Property apparently has deeds going back to 1722. Printers acquired it in 1861, previously a bakery. Further information in notes in the parish file.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341490Un-published: Laithwaite, M.. 1988 - 1989. Resurvey of Historic Buildings in Bideford. A4 Unbound.
SDV346164Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1977-1981. Bideford Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93522 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 7 2015 11:34AM