HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV50
Name:St. Nectan's Church, Welcombe

Summary

Probably established before the Norman conquest. Enlarged in 1508 when it was raised to parochial status.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 228 184
Map Sheet:SS21NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWelcombe
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWELCOMBE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5268
  • National Monuments Record: 895544
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS21NW/502
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR, SS21NW21 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV6694.

Probably established pre-Conquest. Rebuilt 1508. Tower completely rebuilt 1731. Substantial restoration 1883-4. Nave and chancel probably pre-Conquest plan. Transepts added 1508. Rood screen may be as early as 14th century. Font 11th century, circular on circular plinth, plain and devoid of carving. Other details: Citing Department of Environment and Cherry + Pevsner.


Unknown, St. Nectan's, Welcombe (Leaflet). SDV341368.


Kerslake, T., 1877, Traces of the Ancient Kingdom of Dumnonia outside Cornwall, 415 (Article in Serial). SDV5885.

Survival of early dedication to St. Nectan noted. Welcombe was the subject church of Hartland church, which has the same dedication.


Bligh Bond, F., 1902, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts, Plate 3 (Article in Serial). SDV15462.

14th century screen.


Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II, 493 (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

The earliest chancel screen remaining in the county. The screen has been moved eastward of its proper position and now encloses the altar rails. The lower panels have been removed and several old bench ends inserted, the poppy head finials being sawn off to make them fit. Over the transept arches are carved oak panels representing the vine and the fig tree.


Chanter, J. F., 1910, Christianity in Devon before AD 909, 491 (Article in Serial). SDV870.


Chanter, J. F., 1916 - 1917, Formation of the Parish of Welcombe, 70-73, 112-113 (Article in Serial). SDV6692.

A 16th century indenture is reproduced in full to illustrate the process by which Welcombe was changed from being a chapelry in the parish of Hartland, to being a parish in its own right. St. Nectan's chapel was consecrated with its cemetery in September, 1508.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 162 (Monograph). SDV336196.

Pevsner gives brief description of church and fittings, including pulpit, screen, (the most important feature of the church), lectern, reader's desk and church plate.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 512 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Welcombe was raised to parochial status in 1508, when the church was enlarged by the addition of north and south transepts.


Department of Environment, 1958, Welcombe (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV320185.

Probably a chapel of the Church of St Nectan of Hartland established before the Conquest; rebuilt in 1508; tower completely rebuilt in
1731, substantially restored 1883-84; some further early 20th century works. Random, coursed and squared local rubble, gabled slate roofs, to porch with a coping of concrete, tower with embattled parapet, some remains of render on the south face of the nave and on the porch.
Plan and development: the plan of the nave and chancel are probably pre-Conquest though little of the fabric above ground level appears of this date. The transepts were probably added circa 1508 when the church was largely rebuilt, west tower 1731, south porch probably also 18th century; leanto north vestry added in 1904.
Exterior: squat square embattled 3 stage tower, simi-circular head bell-chamber windows which are probably reused 16th century material, large weathered offset at plinth level, smaller offsets between first and second and second and third stages. West end with a small window with a 4-centred arch head, 20th century 4-pane casement inserted. Nave with a single window to the south, 3-centred arch head, label of granite and granite jambs, Twentieth century Gothick casement inserted in place of earlier tracery. South transept with simple semi-circular headed window with 2-light granite tracery, probably renewed 1897 when the present stained glass was inserted. East face of this transept with a 20th century 9-pane casement in a hollow-moulded stone surround, concrete cill. Chancel with a semi-circular head. East window rising to a slight point at apex; concrete label renewed late 20th century. Gabled south porch, plain outer door opening with rubble jambs, inside with stone benches on a flagstone floor. Inner doorway in a 16th century moulded stone frame.
Interior: plastered on flagstone floors. Towards the east end a larger number of good 17th century and 18th century memorial slabs inset into the floor. Under the tower a late 19th century tile pavement. Nave and chancel continuous under a 16th century wagon roof with moulded ribs and carved bosses, 5 towards the east end with gilding and colouring remaining, above each transept arch a section of richly-carved cornice, again with colouring and gilding surviving. The plaster between the ribs replaced during the 19th century restoration with tongue-and-groove board. Crude arches with squared rubble jambs and voussoirs to the transepts. Tall semi-circular tower arch with rubble jambs and voussoirs. Nineteenth wagon-roofs to the transepts with tongue-and-groove board, though the wall plates are earlier at the tops of the walls, probably 16th century. Late 19th century ringing-chamber floor under the tower. Rood screen, a composite structure may be as early as early 14th century (Hoskins); square-headed, the 8 flights divided by thin shafts of rude workmanship; broad central opening with the doors missing. The lower panels have been embellished by the addition of 3 carved 15th century bench ends. The cornice of the screen appears to have been added in the 16th century, 3 richly carved friezes set one above the other. The screen probably stands eastward of its original position. Of circular font on a 11th century18th century, repaired in the 19th century when a new base and steps up were added; the 18th century pulpit cornice black-painted with gilded lettering: "Where there is no Bishop the people perish Dror XIX V 18". Reader and bench made up pieces of carved bench end of 15th century with poppyheads, also some 16th century or early 17th century carved panels with semi-circular heads. West end of nave with three 15th century or 16th century pews. Carved Jacobean lectern. Simple pews of the 1888 restoration, probably also the altar rails and the altar table. Decalogue plaques painted by Rev. Erisey John Porter, vicar, 1903 with large figures of Christ and Mary Magdalene. 3 late 19th century oil lamps. East window of the Crucifixition of 1925 in 14th century style. North transept window 1929. Fine south transept window of 1897, the Nativity. The tower contains 6 bells, 2 at least of the 18th century.


Pearce, S. M., 1985, The Early Church in the Landscape: The Evidence from North Devon (part), 268 (Article in Serial). SDV336495.

Royal charter of 1189 grants to Hartland Abbey the chapel of St. Nectan at Welcombe, together with chapels at Harton, Cheristow and all the other chapels built within the parish.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 893-4 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Dyer, M. J., 2000, Archaeological Observation and Recording during Groundworks for New Drainage at St. Nectan's Parish Church, Welcombe (Report - Watching Brief). SDV341371.


Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report, No. 199 (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15462Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1902. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 34. Unknown. Plate 3.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 512.
SDV320185List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1958. Welcombe. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 893-4.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 162.
SDV336495Article in Serial: Pearce, S. M.. 1985. The Early Church in the Landscape: The Evidence from North Devon (part). Archaeological Journal. 142. A4 Stapled + Digital. 268.
SDV339712Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J.. 2007. The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.22 (rev.1). A4 Stapled + Digital. No. 199.
SDV341368Leaflet: Unknown. St. Nectan's, Welcombe. Church Guide. A4 Folded.
SDV341371Report - Watching Brief: Dyer, M. J.. 2000. Archaeological Observation and Recording during Groundworks for New Drainage at St. Nectan's Parish Church, Welcombe. Exeter Archaeology Historic Environment Record Entry. 4024. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #93662 ]
SDV5885Article in Serial: Kerslake, T.. 1877. Traces of the Ancient Kingdom of Dumnonia outside Cornwall. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 415.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital. 493.
SDV6692Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1916 - 1917. Formation of the Parish of Welcombe. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 9.1. Unknown. 70-73, 112-113.
SDV6694National Monuments Record Database: NMR. SS21NW21. Digital.
SDV870Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1910. Christianity in Devon before AD 909. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 42. A5 Hardback. 491.

Associated Monuments

MDV52Parent of: St. Nectan's Bench Ends, Welcombe (Monument)
MDV51Parent of: St. Nectan's Rood Screen, Welcombe (Monument)
MDV76Related to: Hartland Abbey (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4414 - Observation and Recording during Groundworks for Drainage

Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 2:15PM