HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV503
Name:Almhouses on Meddon Street, Bideford

Summary

Strange's Almshouses at 49-63 Meddon Street in Bideford were built in 17th century and replaced by Haycroft's Almshouses in 1870. The houses were restored in 1941 and demolished by 1976

Location

Grid Reference:SS 451 263
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/17

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ALMSHOUSE (XVII to XX - 1646 AD to 1976 AD (Between))

Full description

Timms, S. C., Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV339811.

All buildings on the site of 49-63 Meddon Street had been cleared by 1976. This conflicts with the 1977 Ordnance Survey field visit record. This site was redeveloped for residential use in the Spring of 1983. There were also almshouses in the 19th century on Clovelly Road to the west of the workhouse. Further work is needed to clarify the history of these two almshouse sites.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

GIS polygon digitised from 1880-90s 6 inch First Edition Ordnance Survey map. Site of a row of eight small almshouses shown as 'Almshouses' on 19th century map on the south side of Meddon Street in Bideford.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Shown as 'Almshouses' on early 20th century map.


Duncan, A.G., 1918, Bideford Poor and Poorhouses, 1830 to 1840, 536 (Article in Serial). SDV7013.

Strange's Almshouses, Meddon Street in Bideford. Almshouses and gardens with a house and burgage were given to the poor about 1646 by John Strange. Four almshouses were established. They had no endowment. Rebuilt about 1870, and called Haycrofts Almshouses.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

Shown as 'Almshouses' on 1930s map.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 93 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1977, SS42NE18 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV339810.

Haycroft's Almshouses at 40-63 Meddon Street. A terrace of eight small houses, Victorian dwellings, incorporating no remains of previous structure. A wall plaque reads "Erected by John Haycroft 1870 restored 1941".


Cox, P. + Cottam, S. + Chandler, J., 2007, 81 Meddon Street, Bideford: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment, 5-6 (Report - Assessment). SDV339804.

Other details: Table 1 - Site A4.


Torridge District Council, 2009, Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal, 18 (Report - non-specific). SDV351295.

A group of seven almshouses built in 1857, reflecting the influence of Domestic Revival architects.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93757 ]
SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339804Report - Assessment: Cox, P. + Cottam, S. + Chandler, J.. 2007. 81 Meddon Street, Bideford: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. AC1156/2/1. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5-6.
SDV339810Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1977. SS42NE18. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV339811Personal Comment: Timms, S. C..
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 93.
SDV351295Report - non-specific: Torridge District Council. 2009. Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal. Torridge District Council Planning Guidance. Digital. 18.
SDV7013Article in Serial: Duncan, A.G.. 1918. Bideford Poor and Poorhouses, 1830 to 1840. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 50. A5 Hardback. 536.

Associated Monuments

MDV44171Related to: 82-94 Meddon Street, Bideford (Building)
MDV20682Related to: Amory's Almshouses, Bideford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4336 - Assessment of 81 Meddon Street, Bideford.

Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2015 12:59PM