HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV51420
Name:Princetown Primary School

Summary

School is depicted on the late 19th and early 20th century historic maps of Princetown. It was built in 1874 for the children of prison officers only, who had to pay for each child who attended. It was built by (and cleaned and maintained daily) by convicts. Eventually became the Princetown Primary School.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 589 736
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SE/345

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PRIMARY SCHOOL (Constructed, XIX - 1874 AD to 1874 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'School' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map depiction.


Joy, R., 2002, Dartmoor Prison A Complete Illustrated History Volume 2 The Convict Prison 1850-Present Day At Her Majesty's Pleasure, 61, 149-150, photographs (Monograph). SDV359843.

The prison officers' school was built in 1874 for the children of prison officers only. The men had to pay for each child to attend, so in large families, not all children were able to attend. Convicts built the school and carried out the daily cleaning, which included the lighting of the peat fires in the classrooms each morning. They also had to spread and rake screened sand over the playground, then called the parade ground. This continued into the 1920s. The men who carried out the cleaning/maintenance were known as the scavenging party and were chained together with a cart containing their rations. They were carefully guarded by armed officers.
The first parts of the school to be built were the boys' school and the headmaster's house, followed by the girls' school and the infants' school. The school roll was over 270 pupils and teachers were in short supply; the headmaster and his wife assisted by six pupil teachers (possibly older pupils from the school).
The school was handed over and eventually became the Princetown Primary School.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Princetown Community Primary School' is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #94000 ]
SDV359843Monograph: Joy, R.. 2002. Dartmoor Prison A Complete Illustrated History Volume 2 The Convict Prison 1850-Present Day At Her Majesty's Pleasure. Dartmoor Prison A Complete Illustrated History. 2. Hardback Volume. 61, 149-150, photographs.

Associated Monuments

MDV15309Related to: Dartmoor Prison, Princetown (Building)
MDV114804Related to: Duchy House, Princetown (Building)
MDV123083Related to: Prison boundary stone outside school, Princetown (Monument)
MDV117272Related to: Prison slaughterhouse, princetown (Building)
MDV114805Related to: Venville House, Princetown (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 2 2018 4:23PM