HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV5154
Name:Foxton Cross

Summary

Also known as Headless Cross. Single dressed granite shaft measuring up to 1.6 metres high. The top is broken obliquely and on its northern face is an incised Latin cross. Stands on a reave which was re-used as a boundary during the medieval period and marks the outer edge of the newtake for Nun’s Cross Farm. May also have been used as a bound mark for the nearby tinworks. It is believed to have originally been a waymarker for the Abbot’s Way and was moved to its present location. When first described in 1900, a second incised triangular shaped stone thought to have been the cross head lay nearby but this has since disappeared.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 613 695
Map Sheet:SX66NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX66NW/57
  • Old SAM County Ref: 620

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD? (Between))

Full description

Prowse, A. B., 1901, A hitherto undescribed granite cross on The Abbot's Way, Dartmoor, 552-553 (Article in Serial). SDV236584.

Cross is situated at the foot of Cater's Beam, two thirds of a mile south-east from Nun's Cross.


Tyler, F. C., 1926-1927, Stone Pillar in Swincombe Valley, Dartmoor, 340-342 (Article in Serial). SDV236585.

This is probably the stone pillar which Tyler describes, triangular with a cross in relief, standing near the line of a reave boundary bank (presumably the Abbots' Way which runs nearby).


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 309 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.

Stone cross, about 1207 metres south-east of Siward's Cross, and 1609 metres south of Whiteworks by Fox Tor Mine. It stands on the line of an old reave running east and west. A rectangular shaft lacking head and arms. When Dr Prowse first noticed it in 1900, a roughly triangular piece of granite like that of the shaft lay nearby. It had the remains of a cross rudely cut in relief on one surface and was considered to be the head of the shaft. This head portion has now disappeared.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX66NW7, 6/6/1950 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV236582.

Remains of stone cross. A shaft of rough rectangular section, 1.6 metres in height, set up in a pile of stones.


Ancient Monuments, 1967, Foxton Cross, August 1967 (Schedule Document). SDV236580.

Foxton Cross. A wayside cross, probably marking the route to Abbot's Way. Standing to about 1.5 metres high; the arms of the cross are missing. There is a considerable packing of small rubble at the base of the shaft.


Starkey, F. H., 1983, Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks, 41 (Monograph). SDV345128.

It is suggested that this cross originally occupied the cross-base next to the Abbot's Way at SX 59956991, and that the cross was removed here to mark the boundary of tin-workings.


Brewer, D., 1986, A field guide to the boundary markers on and around Dartmoor (Monograph). SDV309252.

The stone, known as the Headless Cross, may well mark the bounds of a tin mine.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Cross' is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 12/07/2016 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

This monument includes a wayside cross situated on the lower northern slopes of Crane Hill overlooking Foxtor Mires. The cross survives as a single dressed granite shaft of rectangular section measuring up to 1.6m high. The top is broken obliquely and on its northern face is an incised Latin cross. It is set into a mound of closely packed stones. It stands on a reave which was re-used as a boundary during the medieval period. It marks the outer edge of the newtake for Nun’s Cross Farm and may also have been used as a bound mark for the nearby tinworks. It is believed to have originally been a waymarker for the Abbot’s Way and was moved to its present location. When first described in 1900, a second incised triangular shaped stone thought to have been the cross head lay nearby but this has since disappeared.
Despite having been damaged probably as a result of the iconoclastic backlash against such religious features during times of turbulence like the Reformation and the possibility it has been moved the wayside cross 430m south east of Nun’s Cross Ford survives comparatively well and had an important history as a boundary marker for many different reasons. As a landmark this indicates the high regard in which it has been historically held and shows the interesting re-use it has received.


National Monument Record, 2016, Pastscape (Website). SDV359354.

(9/9/1978) Shaft, 1.7 metres high and 0.4 metres by 0.25 metres in section, is as described by Prowse save that the triangular detached piece of head is now missing. No base stone, shaft is trigged with small granite blocks. A deeply chiselled Latin cross has been incised on the northern face, with overall measurement of 0.1 metres (Citing Ordnance Survey).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV236580Schedule Document: Ancient Monuments. 1967. Foxton Cross. The Schedule of Monuments. Unknown. August 1967.
SDV236582Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX66NW7. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index. 6/6/1950.
SDV236584Article in Serial: Prowse, A. B.. 1901. A hitherto undescribed granite cross on The Abbot's Way, Dartmoor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 33. Unknown. 552-553.
SDV236585Article in Serial: Tyler, F. C.. 1926-1927. Stone Pillar in Swincombe Valley, Dartmoor. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 14. Unknown. 340-342.
SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 309.
SDV309252Monograph: Brewer, D.. 1986. A field guide to the boundary markers on and around Dartmoor. A field guide to the boundary markers on and around Dartmoor. Unknown.
SDV345128Monograph: Starkey, F. H.. 1983. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Paperback Volume. 41.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #32151 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 12/07/2016.
SDV359354Website: National Monument Record. 2016. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV5076Related to: The Abbot's Way, Dartmoor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 12 2016 12:04PM