HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV516
Name:Orleigh Court

Summary

Early-mid c14 hall with fine hammer-beam roof. C18 + c19 alterations. Converted into flats 1982.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 429 222
Map Sheet:SS42SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBuckland Brewer
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND BREWER

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42SW/6
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 91389

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (XIV to XX - 1301 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source, 132 (Migrated Record). SDV15340.

a Tudor house in bad state of repair. Porch is still there with fine doorway and a tunnel vaulted chamber above.


RISDON, 1811, Untitled Source, 254-256 (Monograph). SDV8651.


Rogers, T., 1870, Untitled Source (Plan - measured). SDV7716.


Unknown, 1915, Untitled Source (Article in Serial). SDV7704.

Orleigh held by Jollenus Dacur in King Henry II's time. The lofty entrance hall is probably the only part remaining of old Dennis house.


Rogers, W. H. H., 1926, Orleigh: An Ancient House, 191-192 (Article in Serial). SDV7705.


Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Shebbear in Early Times, 538, 579,-581 (Article in Monograph). SDV7713.

Orleigh, or Leghe, was one of the estates given to Tavistock Abbey in the 10th century by the founder Ordulf in right of his wife, Abina. It is not mentioned among the abbey's possessions in 1086, possibly being assessed with Abbotsham or Wrdieta, (Goldsworthy), but it is enumerated in 1193 in the confirmation charter of Celestine III. The family of Dacus or le Deneys were early tenants under the abbey. Early descents given.


Rouge et Noir, 1940 - 1941, Notes from the Rolls of the Courts Leet of the Manors of Awlington and Monkleigh, 117-118 (Article in Serial). SDV7712.

Record in 1455 that John Denys of Orleigh owes suit and homage for lands and tenements he holds in Orleigh, identified as Beara and Shortridge. See CRFs.


Dennys, R., 1952-1953, Notes on the Dennys Familey, 7-9 (Article in Serial). SDV7715.

Good discussion of the part played by the Dennis family at Orleigh given.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SS42SW2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV7707.

Home of the Dennis family from 1200 to 1664, when it passed to Nicholas Glynne, and in 1687 to Davie who practically rebuilt the house. The only part in its original form is the chapel, to which Bishop Stafford granted licence early in the 15th century. It was an oratory. Porch added by davie, and chapel converted into entrance hall. First mention of Orleigh Court in 1819. Other details: Sketch + Plan.


Department of Environment, 1955, Bideford RD, 3 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV4813.


Seymour, D. J., 1955 - 1958, The Smaller Manor Houses of Medieval Devon, 13 (Article in Serial). SDV6523.

The hall has magnificent hammer beam roof. House in poor shape and neglected.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1980, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV321577.

Orleigh Court is now a farmhouse, a large part of which is unoccupied.


Timms, S. C., 1982, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV7710.

The house has recently been sold, and there is a proposal to convert it into separate dwellings. An architectural survey has recently been carried out


Beacham, P. M., 1982, Untitled Source (Correspondence). SDV7711.

Examination of roof structure shows building in its entirety has complex development with extensions in medieval, late 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries. External alterations in 19th century. Late 19th century facades are misleading. May be upgraded to Grade I.


Beacham, P., 1986, Torridge District: Orleigh Court, Buckland Brewer (Correspondence). SDV349868.

Ten medieval sculptures from the hammer-beam roof of Orleigh Court were removed during repairs and recently proposed for sale by Sotheby's, but have now been withdrawn from sale.


Department of Environment, 1988, Buckland Brewer, 65 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV7717.

Early-mid c14 hall with fine late isc hammer-beam roof. C18 + c19 alterations. Converted into flats 1982. Courtyard plan with projecting wing. C14 doorway; c15 door; c16/c17 mullioned and transomed window. C16 dog-leg staircase. See DoE list for full details.


Cherry, B., 1988, The Devon Country House in the Late Seventeenth and Early Eighteenth Centuries, 102 (Article in Serial). SDV129144.

c18 range added at the high end of the preserved open medieval hall.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 613-614 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Of rubble stone with late medieval 2 storey porch. Traces of large chimneystack in servants' hall suggest the site of the medieval kitchen.


Chappell, S., 2012, Hammer Beam Carvings at Orleigh Court (Ground Photograph). SDV349869.

Photos show nine carvings now on the mantelpiece.


Rogers, W. H. H., c1920, Untitled Source, 50-54 (Monograph). SDV7718.

Orleigh Court. Held by family of Dacus or Dennis. Of the Dennis house the only remaining part is the lofty entrance hall with its oak timbered roof and massive door studded and barred with oak the porch and small chamber over it. Originally a newel staircase leading from the porch up to the gallery at the west end of the hall. Gallery gone and the staircase built up; licence for an oratory granted march 1416 by Bishop Stafford. May have been the small chamber over the porch with its barrel vaulting. Hall was originally panelled with oak, representing scriptual figures; became infected with dry rot; the panelling now filling the east end of the hall was discovered in a loft over the stables. Bold pattern with fine scallop shell ornament, similar to west screen in church of Walpole St. Peter in Norfolk (1570-80). Royal arms of Edward vi were over the panelling. The Davies who remodelled the house in 1721, broke out of the big mullioned window with the Davie arms in colour. They built the beechwood balustrade of the principal staircase (the oak staircase at the end of the hall at an earlier date). There were originally farm buildings at the back of the house, these have been removed.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV129144Article in Serial: Cherry, B.. 1988. The Devon Country House in the Late Seventeenth and Early Eighteenth Centuries. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 46. A5 Paperback. 102.
SDV15340Migrated Record: 132.
SDV321577Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1980.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 613-614.
SDV349868Correspondence: Beacham, P.. 1986. Torridge District: Orleigh Court, Buckland Brewer. Letter to Local Planning Authority. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV349869Ground Photograph: Chappell, S.. 2012. Hammer Beam Carvings at Orleigh Court. Photograph (Digital).
SDV4813List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1955. Bideford RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 3.
SDV6523Article in Serial: Seymour, D. J.. 1955 - 1958. The Smaller Manor Houses of Medieval Devon. Transactions of the Torquay Natural History Society. 12. Unknown. 13.
SDV7704Article in Serial: Unknown. 1915. Transactions of the Devonshire Association.
SDV7705Article in Serial: Rogers, W. H. H.. 1926. Orleigh: An Ancient House. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 58. A5 Hardback. 191-192.
SDV7707Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SS42SW2.
SDV7710Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1982.
SDV7711Correspondence: Beacham, P. M.. 1982.
SDV7712Article in Serial: Rouge et Noir. 1940 - 1941. Notes from the Rolls of the Courts Leet of the Manors of Awlington and Monkleigh. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 21. Unknown. 117-118.
SDV7713Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Shebbear in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback. 538, 579,-581.
SDV7715Article in Serial: Dennys, R.. 1952-1953. Notes on the Dennys Familey. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 25. 7-9.
SDV7716Plan - measured: Rogers, T.. 1870. Architectural Drawings.
SDV7717List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Buckland Brewer. Historic Houses Register. 65.
SDV7718Monograph: Rogers, W. H. H.. c1920. Buckland Brewer. 50-54.
SDV8651Monograph: RISDON. 1811. Survey of Devon. 1580-1640. 254-256.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV1465 - Unnamed Event
  • EDV1466 - Unnamed Event

Date Last Edited:Jan 3 2014 1:57PM