HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV51922
Name:Fulford Mills, Shobrooke


Fulford Mills is first recorded as newly erected in the late 16th century and it is shown on Norden's map of 1598. There are further documentary references in the 17th century and a mill is shown on the 19th century Tithe Map. The mill appears to have gone by the time of the 1880s-1890s Ordnance Survey map, although the map appears incomplete at this point.


Grid Reference:SS 853 005
Map Sheet:SS80SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton Hamlets
Civil ParishShobrooke
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON
Ecclesiastical ParishSHOBROOKE

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthworks of former Mill marked on Parish Tithe Map (c. 1840s) west of road and cropmarks of a possible prehistoric Enclosure (settlement) east of road, near Westacott

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SE/116
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (Built, XVI - 1501 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Rectangular building marked as 'MILL'.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building not shown, although the map appears incomplete at this point.

Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1993, Archaeological assessment of SWW Crediton area water supply: Stage II, 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV337624.

Reference on a 1598 terrier to a leat originating somewhere north of Creedy Bridge which served the more southerly and 'newly erected' Fulford Mill.

Nicholas Pearson Associates, Sept 2013, Shobrooke Park, Parkland Plan, 28, 29, 30 (Report - Survey). SDV352483.

Documentary references to two recently erected grist mills at Fulford in 1571-2. Referred to again in 1584 and marked as newly erected on Norden's map of 1598. Further documentary references occur in 1626 and 1631. The mills formed part of William Peryam's estate of Little Fulford.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337624Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1993. Archaeological assessment of SWW Crediton area water supply: Stage II. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 93.79. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital. [Mapped feature: #94129 ]
SDV352483Report - Survey: Nicholas Pearson Associates. Sept 2013. Shobrooke Park, Parkland Plan. Nicholas Pearson Associates Report. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. 28, 29, 30.

Associated Monuments

MDV51923Related to: Possible Mill Site at Creedy Bridge Cottages (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 27 2018 12:44PM