HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV52270
Name:Howden Court, Tiverton

Summary

House, late 18th century, remodelled and extended circa1830. Used St. Aubyn's School between 1947 and 2000, during which it was subsequently extended and altered.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 947 115
Map Sheet:SS91SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SW/84
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485270

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of National Heritage, 17/03/1993, Tiverton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337711.

St. Aubyn's School. House, now school. Late 18th century, remodelled and extended circa1830. Rendered walls; dry slate roofs, hipped behind parapet to main block and gabled to service wing; rendered stacks. Deep plan with central stairhall and with service wing to left. Two storeys. Symmetrical five-window front to main (south) elevation has fine porch with paired Tuscan columns to entablature, later glazed in; shallow cambered arches over 12-pane glazing-bar sashes with margin panes, those to first floor retaining shutter boxes; shutters to false openings. String course continued from front to right-side elevation which is of 2:1:2 fenestration with projecting central bay and similar sashes. Unusual 'boxed' cornice with soffit coving and moulded lip. The service wing has a gabled two-window front to left of main elevation, with 6/6-pane sashes and pyramidal-roofed louvred wooden belfry. Interior noted as having many original features including ornamental plasterwork to one of main rooms and several fireplace surrounds in addition to cornices, skirtings etc. Formerly known as Howden Court, and shown on a map of 1801.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Southwest Archaeology, 2006, Howden Court, Tiverton, Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment and Visual Evaluation (Report - Assessment). SDV337712.

The name Howden appears to derive from Old English hol-denu meaning hollow valley, possibly referring to the deep gulley through which a stream runs in the grounds. Howden Court together with Howden House (now demolished) and Peppins Howden have their origins in the pre-conquest manor of Tiverton, which was divided post-conquest and further broken down in the 16th century. From the 16th to the early 19th century land at Howden passed through the hands of several citizens of Tiverton with tenants farming Higher Howden, Lower Howden and Peppins Howden. In the early 19th century Lower Howden was aggrandized with the probable conversion of a farmhouse into a country residence and conversion of fields to semi formal gardens. The approach was relocated from the north to the south west with a carriage drive entering from the turnpike road. Later, mid 19th century alterations increased the size of the main house and provided a lodge. The property was renamed Howden Court in the mid 19th century. The 1890 25 inch Ordnance Survey map shows Howden Court with ornamental plantings of conifers, winding pathways, a walled kitchen garden, greenhouses and possible tennis court. Apart from the house only a former stable block appears to predtate the Tithe Map of 1842. In 1947 Howden Court came to house St. Aubyn's School and was subsequently extended and altered. The school was relocated away from this site in 2000. See report for full details of outbuldings and grounds.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Small country house, now used as school. Late 18th century, remodelled and extended early 19th century, and entrance front extended late 20th century. Symmetrical 5-window entrance front to (south) elevation has four Tuscan columns of former porch built forward in front of central bays;

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337711List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 17/03/1993. Tiverton. Amendment to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interes. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV337712Report - Assessment: Southwest Archaeology. 2006. Howden Court, Tiverton, Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment and Visual Evaluation. Southwest Archaeology Report. 061201. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV73129Parent of: Dipping Well, Howden Court (Monument)
MDV73130Parent of: Former Stable Block, Howden Court, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV73131Parent of: Outbuilding, Howden Court (Monument)
MDV73135Related to: Higher Howden (Monument)
MDV73133Related to: Howden (Monument)
MDV66714Related to: Peppins Howden, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV73136Related to: The Lodge, Howden Court (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4150 - Howden Court, Tiverton

Date Last Edited:Jun 13 2012 10:23AM