HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV52534
Name:Brunel Lodge, Wolborough, Newton Abbot

Summary

Brunel Lodge Hospital was built as an isolation hospital in the very late 19th/early 20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 851 702
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNewton Abbot
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWOLBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/372

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOSPITAL (XX - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Isolation Hospital marked on 1904-1906 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

The 1930s map shows the addition of a building to the northern end of the site.


Ordnance Survey, 1969, SX87SE (Cartographic). SDV338231.

Newton Abbot Hospital marked on 1969 6 inch map.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Brunel Lodge (Hospital) marked on modern mapping. Map comparison shows that one of the original hospital buildings has been demolished and replaced by a larger building close by. Several of the other buildings have been enlarged.


de Villiers, S + Passmore, A., 2016, Former Newton Abbot Isolation Hospital. (Report - Survey). SDV359654.

An historic building record of the former Newton Abbot Isolation Hospital was prepared by AC archaeology in March 2016 prior to the demolition of the buildings.

The hospital opened in 1902 with the majority of the buildings dating from this time. It provided wards for Scarlet Fever and Typhoid. The hospital was enlarged soon after with the addition of another ward building for Diphtheria and several ancillary structures. In the late 20th century a very large building was added along with a car park. The hospital remained in use with the NHS until its sale in July 2012. The surviving original buildings – the Garage/Morgue, Ivycroft (the Typhoid ward) and The Willows (the admin building), along with the Day Care Unit (the later Diphtheria ward) were all recorded. They had been altered to various degrees although in most instances their original internal spaces remained. Few original or historic fixtures and fittings survived later upgrades and alterations. (See report for further details).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338231Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1969. SX87SE. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. Map (Paper).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV359654Report - Survey: de Villiers, S + Passmore, A.. 2016. Former Newton Abbot Isolation Hospital.. AC Archaeology. ACD1329/2/1. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 27 2016 4:32PM