HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV53245
Name:Site of Moorhaven Hospital, Ugborough

Summary

Site of Moorhaven Hospital, constructed in the late 19th century as the Plymouth Borough Lunatic Asylum. Later became the Moorhaven Hospital and has also been known as Blackadon Lunatic Asylum. Hospital closed in the early 1990s and was converted to a residential use as 'Moorhaven Village.'

Location

Grid Reference:SX 667 574
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 1050734
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/339

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL (XIX - 1888 AD to 1891 AD (Between))
  • HOSPITAL (XX - 1930 AD to 1993 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Plymouth Borough Lunatic Asylum' marked on Ordnance Survey Second Edition map (approximately 1905-1906). Map object based on this Source.


Crossing, W., 1912 (1965), Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor, 411 (Monograph). SDV320981.


Ordnance Survey, 1966, SX65NW (Cartographic). SDV340901.

'Moorhaven Hospital' shown on Ordnance Survey (1966) map.


Ordnance Survey, 1969, 6" (Cartographic). SDV100418.

'Moorhaven Hospital' shown on Ordnance Survey (1969) map.


National Monuments Record, 2011, 1050734 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV347357.

The Plymouth Asylum was built between 1888-1891 to designs by Hine and Odgers and enlarged in 1902-06 by the same architects. Further additions in the 1930s. The original buildings are of brown local rubble masonry, and the later ones are of red brick.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Map object based on this Source.


Moseley, B., 2011, Plymouth Data; The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History (Website). SDV347358.

Hospital owned and run by Plymouth Corporation opened on October 16th 1891. Originally known as Blackadon Lunatic Asylum it was designed for mentally ill patients who were not able to be taken in to the workhouse, constructed following the Lunacy Act of 1890.
The hospital was designed by Messrs Hine and Odgers and built by Messrs Pethick Brothers of Plymouth, at a cost of some £40,000. It could accommodate 200 patients in six wards when it was opened. Later expansions saw two further wings added in the early 20th century, doubling the capacity for patients.
During the 1930s the name was changed to Plymouth Mental Hospital and a separate unit, named Moorfields Hospital, was opened to the east of the main building, on October 25th 1934. It was not until around 1947 that the name Moorhaven was used, it having been chosen by a poll of the staff.
Other post-war enlargements were the erection of the Gables Hospital at Plympton in 1953 and the Marshall Clinic in 1955.
The closure process started in May 1992, with the last patients being moved out on February 23rd 1993. The 65 acre site has now been redeveloped as Moorhaven Village. Other details: Webpage updated 05/04/2011.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV100418Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1969. 6". 6". Map (Paper).
SDV320981Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1912 (1965). Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 411.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340901Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1966. SX65NW. Map (Paper).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV347357National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2011. 1050734. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV347358Website: Moseley, B.. 2011. Plymouth Data; The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History. Plymouthdata.info. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV53246Parent of: Chapel, Moorhaven Village (Building)
MDV53246Related to: Chapel, Moorhaven Village (Building)
MDV78119Related to: Blackadon Farm, Ugborough (Monument)
MDV53246Parent of: Chapel, Moorhaven Village (Building)
MDV53246Related to: Chapel, Moorhaven Village (Building)
MDV2979Related to: Farmhouse, Blackadon Farm (Building)
MDV80140Related to: Site of Blackadon Farmstead, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2018 2:28PM