HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV54420
Name:Corn Mill at Bachelor's Hall

Summary

Sir thomas tyrwhitt built a house at bachelors hall, and others in the neighbourhood, between 1785 and 1793 (rchme, citing dartmoor).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 601 735
Map Sheet:SX67SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork and walling remains of the late 18th century Bachelor's Hall Tin Mine, Princetown, including remains of a stamping mill and smelting house, leats, stamping floor and a dam

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67SW/33/1
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CORN MILL (XVIII - 1750 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

AT THE S END OF THE BUILDING, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219274.

The land lease for the construction of a bakery was granted by the duchy on the 20th june 1798, its site being specified as "a certain building known as bachelors hall on the border of a leat lately made for supplying plymouth dock with water". A corn mill and bakery were built at bachelors hall following the establishment of the prison in 1809. A wier-pool on bachelors hall brook and a leat channel on the right bank are traceable south of the house, but later structural alterations have entirely obliterated all exterior vestiges of milling such as a wheel-pit or axle aperture in the house wall. It is probable that the now level bed of the stream which gushed through the farm court wall marks the site of the filled-in wheel pit (at the s end of the building) (rchme, citing hemery and follow the leat).


SEE HEMERY, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219275.

In 1844 `the british patent naphtha company' was established and the mill was converted into a peat works for the production of naphtha and tar oil also the manufacture of candles and moth-balls. The works were transferred to princetown prison after 2 years (see hemery).


SEE HEADSHEET, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219276.

Two mill cottages were recorded at bachelors halls in 1841 and six in 1851. George caunter farmed 97 acres in 1871 and oliver caunter 109 acres in 1881. The last farmer left in 1944. The signs, in their turn, of milling, baking and farming are pre-dated downstream by those of tin mining (see headsheet).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219278.

Nmr=sx67sw83.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219279.

Des=dartmoor/(1970).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219280.

Hemery, e. /high dartmoor/(1983).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219281.

Des=follow the leat/(1983)52,59.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219282.

Des=duchy of cornwall/map of freehold and early enclosures on dartmoor/*1805-18).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219283.

Des=gray, t. /map of ground enclosed in the forest of dartmoor c.1800.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219284.

Des=fletcher, m. J. /(1/5/1989)/as above.


Fletcher, M. J., 1989, Bachelor's Hall (Report - Survey). SDV219273.

Sir thomas tyrwhitt built a house at bachelors hall, and others in the neighbourhood, between 1785 and 1793.
Bachelors hall, now a youth hostel. A long sub-divided and partially cement rendered stone building with a slate roof and refashioned windows. It is built into the slope along the contour. There is no evidence of industrial use and no traces of a wier-pool or wheel leat are visible. To s of building is a wide dry channel and adjacent to the wall a narrow eroded channel; both carried water from the hillside down to the stream. Hemery's reference to a wier-pool and leat might apply to the dam and a by-pass channel downstream. The building is generally accepted as the site of the corn mill and bakery, later a naphtha works; the ruin downstream is thought to be a smelting works. Both documentary and map sources indicate the existence of other buildings at bachelors hall. Trywhitt built a late 18c house here and a few years later he was granted a lease to build a corn mill; this suggests 2 separate buildings. The tm and census returns both imply the existence of a farm at bachelors hall which if proved would have co-existed with mill cottages for the short duration of the naphtha works. The os 2" drawing depicts five buildings near the stream as does an early c19th duchy map although the latter are somewhat stylised and annotated " bachelors hall tin mine". A second 19c duchy map shows bachelors hall as an l-shape building slightly larger than it is today. A building depicted down stream is allegedly the smelting works, and 2 structures higher up the hillside to the w annotated `brewery' (sx60017365). The 1839 tm depicts a building here of l-shape with buildings and the farm outbuildings more or less as they are today. Further research is necessary before the precise siting of each element can be firmly established (fletcher).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV219273Report - Survey: Fletcher, M. J.. 1989. Bachelor's Hall. Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Archaeological Survey. Unknown.
SDV219274Migrated Record: AT THE S END OF THE BUILDING.
SDV219275Migrated Record: SEE HEMERY.
SDV219276Migrated Record: SEE HEADSHEET.
SDV219278Migrated Record:
SDV219279Migrated Record:
SDV219280Migrated Record:
SDV219281Migrated Record:
SDV219282Migrated Record:
SDV219283Migrated Record:
SDV219284Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV4735Part of: Bachelors Hall Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV113177Related to: Bachelor's Hall, Dartmoor Forest (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 21 2015 2:02PM