HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV54473
Name:TIN MILL in the Parish of Dartmoor Forest

Summary

Sx60147327. Smelting house?.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 601 737
Map Sheet:SX67SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork and walling remains of the late 18th century Bachelor's Hall Tin Mine, Princetown, including remains of a stamping mill and smelting house, leats, stamping floor and a dam

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67SW/444
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TIN MILL (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

RCHME, CITING GREEVES, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV217661.

Sx60147327. Smelting house?about 1797 a smelting house and stamping mills were established on the banks of the stream below bachelors hall tin mine. Between 1798 and 1804, 223 blocks of tin (approximately 27 tons) were produced (rchme, citing greeves).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV217662.

Relics of the old mine are scant but include the leat from blacka brook which flowed over its final stretch to the launder beside a newtake wall, the bank of the hedge forming its right bank; the launder over-shot the wheel, and beside the pit are the stamping-floors and some blocks of worked masonry.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV217664.

Des=duchy of cornwall/map of freeholds & early enclosures on dartmoor/(1805-18).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV217665.

Hemery, e. /high dartmoor/(1983)374.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV217666.

?/follow the leat/(1983)52-7.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV217667.

Nmr=sx67sw269.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV217668.

Des=probert, s. A. J. /(24/4/1989)/rchme field investigation.


National Monuments Record, 2010, Untitled Source (National Monuments Record Database). SDV214864.

North of the farm sheds (of bachelors hall) and middle adit is the remains of a building which could well have been the smelting-house erected by mr gray. On the opposite side of the stream is a solidly built embankment high enough to have conducted water via an aqueduct into or beside the house. A leat is easily traced from the embankment to the ford on the stream below the farm sheds. Still further down-stream is the site of the stamping-mill with a wheel-pit and levelled area for the stamps. The leat to it runs beside the wall on the bank above and can be followed as far as ockery (sic) (rchme, citing hemery and 'follow the leat'). Vis=24/4/1989 (rchme) sx60137372. The ruins of a substantial building lie along, and are set into, a fairly steep e slope ("a" on plan). It measures 20.5m by 7.8m, the crumbling coursed mortared walling composed of boulders and stones is 1.1m wide and now up to 2.1m high. The interior, sub-divided into three rooms, and covered by debris is very overgrown. A strong dam ("b") which crosses the shallow stream-valley extends from the se corner of the building. It is 21m long with a 1.9m high, 1.8m thick coursed wall on the lower side and an earthen bank 3.8m to 5m wide on the upper side. It is breached and the effaced section, adjacent to the building, may have once contained a sluice or even a waterwheel. The origin and function of the building is not discernible from the visible evidence however coupled with the dam it clearly had an industrial use. Whether it was a smelting house or a corn mill, later converted to a naptha works is debatable. The dam is not, as recorded, an embankment for an aqueduct and the leat is in fact a by-pass channel which takes water from the stream near bachelors hall, skirts the e side of the dam and empties into the blackbrook beyond the coursed field wall. Vis=one of the recorded stamping mills lies upstream at sx60167345; and the documentary evidence suggests that the site of a second stamping mill occupied the level stances at sx60147375, downstream from the building. Two stances cut into the steep e slope and separated by an eroded gully are 13m by 4.2m and 11m by 5.8m respectively; the uphill sides are crudely edged by large boulders and notably there are a number of large rectangular dressed granite blocks "lying about". The eroded gully might be the site of a wheel-pit however there is no trace of masonry nor leats either entering or leaving the area. The alleged leat to the w along the hedge/wall is almost certainly an erosion gully extending from a hedging ditch; the leat which is alleged to feed this channel can clearly be traced continuing beyond the hedge line into the inbye. Vis=the footings of a possible store or barn lie across the stream at sx60177375. It is 11m by 5.1m and the walling of boulders, stones and upright slabs is now 0.6m wide and 0.6m high; the e side is overlain by a 1.2m high enclosure wall (probert).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV214864National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV217661Migrated Record: RCHME, CITING GREEVES.
SDV217662Migrated Record:
SDV217664Migrated Record:
SDV217665Migrated Record:
SDV217666Migrated Record:
SDV217667Migrated Record:
SDV217668Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV4735Part of: Bachelors Hall Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM