HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV5464
Name:Little Duke Mine, Gulworthy

Summary

This mine is thought to have operated until the later 17th century with the Raven Rock work to the north for tin, then being developed for copper in the early 18th century, and subsequently reworked on a number of occasions, up to the early 20th century. Known under a number of names, including Wheal Adam, Wheal Strode, Raven Rock Mine, North Tavy Mine and Little Duke.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 470 694
Map Sheet:SX46NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX46NE/507

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TIN MINE (Constructed, XVII - 1650 AD to 1699 AD (Between))
  • COPPER MINE (Constructed, XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Little Duke Mine (Copper, Disused) marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map. Three shafts are marked with a building to the north-west. Possible related features are shown to the south-east close to the river. Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 1907, 111NE (Cartographic). SDV215706.


Ramsden, J. V., 1952, Notes on the Mines of Devonshire, 97, Fig 1 (Article in Serial). SDV60737.

L 12 Little Duke. Copper and tin.


Smith, J. R., 2006, Bere Alston to Tavistock Railway: Archaeological Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV336796.


Newman, P., 2011, Mining in the Tavy Valley, West Devon. An Assessment of Archaeological Potential, 30-1 (Report - Assessment). SDV347105.

Little Duke was operating but not production in 1815 and may have been closed by 1822. However, it was working again by 1824 when it is recorded as producing 40 tons of copper. Often referred to as Raven Rock Mine and was also known as North Tavy Mine, Little Duke closed in September 1860. However, work appears to have resumed again because it was going through the process of closure again in 1863. The shafts are all marked as old on a map of 1867 suggesting abandonment at this time. Shafts, spoil heaps and a building are shown on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch map of 1882 and an area of possible dressing floors may survive closer to the river as shown on the 1867 map and also on the 1882 Ordnance Survey map. Documentary, cartographic and aerial photographic evidence suggest that surviving features potentially include the remains of a wheelpit, dressing floor and buildings together with earthworks and cuts relating to a tramway, shafts and adits. Fieldwork, however, is needed to establish the extent of the remains. Other details: No. 13. Map object based on this Source.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 176, fig 6.27 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Wheal Adam (later known as the Little Duke)
Apparently worked for tin jointly with a second lode to the north known as the Raven Rock work until the later 17th century, this small mine was developed for copper from the early 18th century and subsequently reworked on several occasions, up to the early 20th century.
Shown on the 1867 Estate Map with multiple old shafts, it has been known by a number of names through its history, including Wheal Strode. Known as Little Duke from the 1890s until 1913. The mine was trialled briefly in the 11816-21 period as part of the Canal Company's mining portfolio as Wheal Adam, but is not thought to have been a success.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV215706Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1907. 111NE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336796Report - Assessment: Smith, J. R.. 2006. Bere Alston to Tavistock Railway: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2006R006. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV347105Report - Assessment: Newman, P.. 2011. Mining in the Tavy Valley, West Devon. An Assessment of Archaeological Potential. SW Landscape Investigations Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 30-1.
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 176, fig 6.27.
SDV60737Article in Serial: Ramsden, J. V.. 1952. Notes on the Mines of Devonshire. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. A5 Hardback. 97, Fig 1.

Associated Monuments

MDV79937Parent of: Building at Little Duke Mine, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV52879Parent of: SHAFT in the Parish of Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV79936Related to: Dressing Floor adjacent to River Tavy, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV79971Related to: Spoilheap in Blackmoorham Wood, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)
MDV5459Related to: Tavy Consols Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4099 - Bere Alston to Tavistock Railway

Date Last Edited:Nov 1 2018 7:38PM