HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV54855
Name:Tawstock Court Park and Gardens

Summary

Informal gardens, parkland and woodland, 18th century, improved in early 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 558 299
Map Sheet:SS52NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTawstock
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAWSTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS52NE/12/12

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LANDSCAPE PARK (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon Gardens Trust, 1995, Tawstock Court (Worksheet). SDV66475.

Tawstock court. Now St Michael's School, rebuilt 1787, 16th century gatehouse, 18th century cottage ornee. Informal gardens, parkland and woodland.


Devon Gardens Trust, 1999, Devon Local Register, 138 (Un-published). SDV170167.


Devon Gardens Trust, 2013, Devon Gazetteer of Parks and Gardens of Local Interest (Reg/Local list of Historic Parks and Gdns). SDV354335.


Clark, J. + Richardson, D., 2013, Tawstock Court (Un-published). SDV358312.

In a magnificent position above the church, overlooking the Taw valley. Only the gatehouse remains of the mansion held by the Bourchiers, earls of Bath. The mansion was destroyed by fire in 1787 and rebuilt by Sir Bourchier Wrey. Polwhele wrote in 1806 that after the fire 'it has since been rebuilt and the grounds much improved. White (1850) noted that it was 'a large and handsome mansion delightfully situated in an extensive and well-wooded park, on the western side of the river ... The park abounds in beautiful scenery and fine aged oaks, and the high grounds command rich and extensive views over the bay and town of Barnstaple.' Stockdale described it as 'one of the most desirable & valuable estates in the county. The mansion was built about the year 1788 & is a very handsome structure surrounded by extensive woods and park, commands a beautiful prospect of the distant country.' Close to the west entrance, two stable blocks face each other, both pedimented. Good gate-piers. Near the entrance to the drive is a delightful rustic lodge with tree-trunk veranda and Gothic windows. The circular folly tower also has Gothic windows. The garden structures include terraces, garden walls and summer houses. The property has been a school since 1940

Sources / Further Reading

SDV170167Un-published: Devon Gardens Trust. 1999. Devon Local Register. Devon Local Register of Parks and Gardens of Local Historic Interest. A4 Stapled + Digital. 138.
SDV354335Reg/Local list of Historic Parks and Gdns: Devon Gardens Trust. 2013. Devon Gazetteer of Parks and Gardens of Local Interest. Historic Parks and Gardens - Register and Local List. Digital.
SDV358312Un-published: Clark, J. + Richardson, D.. 2013. Tawstock Court. Devon Local Register of Parks and Gardens of Local Historic Interest. Digital.
SDV66475Worksheet: Devon Gardens Trust. 1995. Tawstock Court. Devon County Sites and Monuments Register. Worksheet + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV96323Parent of: Courtyard Wall with Entrance, Tawstock Court (Building)
MDV96321Parent of: Summerhouse in Garden at Tawstock Court (Building)
MDV37699Parent of: Summerhouse in Garden of Tawstock Court (Building)
MDV37691Parent of: Walled Garden at Tawstock Court (Building)
MDV11996Related to: St Michael's School, Tawstock Court (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 9 2016 9:05AM