HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV54866
Name:MINE in the Parish of Bideford

Summary - not yet available


Grid Reference:SS 471 262
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork remains and structures associated with Chapel Park Coal Mine dating from the late 18th century, including and engine house and Chapel Park Quarry dating to the 19th century or earlier

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/253

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MINE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

SEE SUBSHEETS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV3682.

'mine' marked on os 6" (1963) map. Position of shafts also marked on 6" 1963) and 6" (1903) maps (see subsheets) (os).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV3685.

Des=os 6" (1963).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV3686.

Des=os 6" (1903)19ne.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV3687.

Claughton, p. /pmmc journal/7.1(1976)/coal mining in north devon.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV3688.

Des=claughton, p. /a list of mines in north devon and west somerset/(1993)019/in smr.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV3689.

Ea/archaeological assessment of the dcc bideford east-the-water industrial link road/(1996)4,7/(ea report 96.71).

Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV3690.

Aph=dap/ace 8-15/(26/7/1999).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV3691.

Des=christie, p. /north devon heritage jnl/no 2(1990)2-3/north devon coal!/in smr.

CLAUGHTON, 1993, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV65511.

Bideford black mine. Inclined shafts + adits in cleave wood, extending e a quarter to half mile. Site of earlier anthracite mine (see subsheet 5). Paint seam to s of culm seams opened 1919-20; worked until 1960's (claughton, 1993).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79.

The 1963 6" map shows the buildings of a mine at this point. Not shown as such on earlier 6" maps but shafts shown in vicinity. Can be identified as bideford black mine, which survived in various guises, finally supplying the cosmetics industry until late 1960s. Now a scrapyard (ea).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV3682Migrated Record: SEE SUBSHEETS.
SDV3685Migrated Record:
SDV3686Migrated Record:
SDV3687Migrated Record:
SDV3688Migrated Record:
SDV3689Migrated Record:
SDV3690Aerial Photograph:
SDV3691Migrated Record:
SDV65511Migrated Record: CLAUGHTON, 1993.
SDV79Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV50850Related to: Chapel Park Coal Mine, Bideford (Monument)
MDV50852Related to: Shaft associated with Broadstone Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4320 - Archaelogical Assessment at Bideford East the Water

Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM