HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV54924
Name:Stone Foundations in Higher Chapel Pass, Branscombe

Summary

A plan drawn by Hutchinson in 1862 shows the foundations of a building in a field named as Higher Chapel Pass on the Branscombe Tithe Map and Apportionment (named by Hutchinson as Chapel Meadow). Possibly the site of Calesdown Chapel or a building associated with it.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 187 912
Map Sheet:SY19SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBranscombe
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRANSCOMBE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY19SE/9/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131224.

Dro=z19/36/16.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131225.

Turton, s. D. + weddell. P. J. /archaeological assessment of sww branscombe to gatcombe water main/(1992)3/(emafu report 92.54).


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1854.

Adjacent to the original line of cross-ridge dyke sy19se/5, which once extended further s than the present remains suggest (turton + weddell).


South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Field (213) named as Higher Chapel Pass on the Branscombe Tithe Apportionment.


Hutchinson, P. O., 1868, On Hill Fortresses, Sling-Stones, and other Antiquities in South Eastern Devon, 381-382 (Article in Serial). SDV120058.

Hutchinson records that excavations in June 1862 in the field called Chapel Close, opposite the Three Horseshoes, just a few paces from the west hedge and 72 paces from the north hedge, exposed the south-west corner of a building, where ploughing had often been obstructed by stones. The walls were three feet thick. He suggests that some medieval chapel may have stood there. The adjoining field to the west he calls Chapel Meadow and where, near the middle and not far from the road, stones and traces of walls had also been found.


Butler, J., 2000, Travels in Victorian Devon, 158 (Monograph). SDV360682.

A plan drawn by Hutchinson in 1862 shows foundations of a building in a field which he names as Chapel Meadow. The plan also shows foundations in the adjoining field, named by Hutchinson as Chapel Close, stones from which had been brought to the surface by ploughing. Map object approximate, based on this source.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003-2004, East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey, 428 (Archive - Survey). SDV351568.

Field called Higher Chapel Pass on Tithe Map/Tithe Apportionment (Tithe Apportionment No. 213). Hutchinson (circa 1862) reported stone foundations of possible chapel exposed during ploughing to south of The Three Horseshoes. Lies adjacent to line of cross ridge dyke.


Torrance, J., 2007, Raddis Lane: Cross-dyke and Chapel, 7-9 (Report - non-specific). SDV347527.

Possibly Calesdown Chapel, referred to in 16th century documents. The chapel itself was likely to have been on the north side of the road, in a field called 'Chapel Close'. The sets of foundations to the south of the road may have been those of buildings associated with it.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV120058Article in Serial: Hutchinson, P. O.. 1868. On Hill Fortresses, Sling-Stones, and other Antiquities in South Eastern Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 2 part 2. A5 Hardback. 381-382.
SDV131224Migrated Record:
SDV131225Migrated Record:
SDV1854Migrated Record: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J..
SDV347527Report - non-specific: Torrance, J.. 2007. Raddis Lane: Cross-dyke and Chapel. A4 Stapled. 7-9.
SDV351568Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003-2004. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material. 428.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360682Monograph: Butler, J.. 2000. Travels in Victorian Devon. Travels in Victorian Devon. Hardback Volume. 158. [Mapped feature: #34698 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV10790Related to: Field named as Chapple Close, Colyton (Building)
MDV106958Related to: Field named as Lower Chapel Pass, Branscombe (Monument)
MDV54925Related to: Stone Foundations in Chapple Meadow, Branscombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 17 2018 4:26PM