HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV54925
Name:Stone Foundations in Chapple Meadow, Branscombe

Summary

A plan drawn by Hutchinson in 1862 shows the foundations of a building in a field named as Chapel Meadow on the Branscombe Tithe Map and Apportionment (named by Hutchinson as Chapel Close). Possibly the site of Calesdown Chapel or a building associated with it.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 188 912
Map Sheet:SY19SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBranscombe
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRANSCOMBE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY19SE/9/2

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR CITING OS, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV131212.

Vis=20/11/1975 (os) 'chapple close' is centred at sy19009136 so 'chapel meadow' is either centred at sy18899141 or sy18859131. Both are in arable, and there is no obvious indication of building foundations (nmr citing os).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131216.

Dro=z19/36/16.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131217.

Turton, s. D. + weddell. P. J. /archaeological assessment of sww branscombe to gatcombe water main/(1992)3/(emafu report 92.54).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131218.

Nmr=sy19se17.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131219.

Des=dean milles parochial survey/questionnaire/(1747-62)/summary (m. Dodd,2003)/in smr.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1854.

Adjacent to the original line of cross-ridge dyke sy19se/5, which once extended further s than the present remains suggest (turton + weddell).


DEAN MILLES, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV99074.

Respondent to dean milles questionnaire noted the presence of a chapel in 'chapel meadow' (dean milles).


Hutchinson, P. O., 1868, On Hill Fortresses, Sling-Stones, and other Antiquities in South Eastern Devon, 381-382 (Article in Serial). SDV120058.

Hutchinson states that excavations in June 1862 in the field called Chapel Close, opposite the Three Horseshoes, just a few paces from the west hedge and 72 paces from the north hedge, exposed the south-west corner of a building, where ploughing had often been obstructed by stones. The walls were three feet thick. He suggests that some medieval chapel may have stood there. The adjoining field to the west he calls Chapel Meadow and where, near the middle and not far from the road, stones and traces of walls had also been found.


Butler, J., 2000, Travels in Victorian Devon, 158 (Monograph). SDV360682.

Hutchinson records in 1862 that quantities of stone were brought up by ploughing in a field near the Three Horseshoes. Clearance of the stone exposed the foundations of the south-west corner of a building, about 3 feet thick. Hutchinson's plan shows foundations on the west side of Cross Dyke about 72 paces south of the road. He marks the field as called Chapel Close and he suggests that the building was a chapel or cell attached to a religious house. The plan also shows foundations in the adjoining field (named by Hutchinson as Chapel Meadow).


Exeter Archaeology, 2003-2004, East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey, 429 (Archive - Survey). SDV351568.

Field called Chapel Meadow on Tithe Map/Tithe Apportionment (Tithe Apportionment No. 214). Hutchinson (circa 1862) reported stone foundations of possible chapel exposed during ploughing to south of The Three Horseshoes and his plan indicates the remains were in this field.


Torrance, J., 2007, Raddis Lane: Cross-dyke and Chapel, 7-9 (Report - non-specific). SDV347527.

Possibly Calesdown Chapel, referred to in 16th century documents. The chapel itself was likely to have been on the north side of the road, in a field called 'Chapel Close'. The sets of foundations to the south of the road may have been those of buildings associated with it.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV120058Article in Serial: Hutchinson, P. O.. 1868. On Hill Fortresses, Sling-Stones, and other Antiquities in South Eastern Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 2 part 2. A5 Hardback. 381-382.
SDV131212Report - Survey: NMR CITING OS.
SDV131216Migrated Record:
SDV131217Migrated Record:
SDV131218Migrated Record:
SDV131219Migrated Record:
SDV1854Migrated Record: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J..
SDV347527Report - non-specific: Torrance, J.. 2007. Raddis Lane: Cross-dyke and Chapel. A4 Stapled. 7-9.
SDV351568Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003-2004. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material. 429.
SDV360682Monograph: Butler, J.. 2000. Travels in Victorian Devon. Travels in Victorian Devon. Hardback Volume. 158. [Mapped feature: #34699 ]
SDV99074Migrated Record: DEAN MILLES.

Associated Monuments

MDV10790Related to: Field named as Chapple Close, Colyton (Building)
MDV106958Related to: Field named as Lower Chapel Pass, Branscombe (Monument)
MDV54924Related to: Stone Foundations in Higher Chapel Pass, Branscombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 17 2018 4:24PM