HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV55433
Name:Hentor House, Shaugh Prior

Summary

Hentor House shown on early 20th century map and shown as a 'Ruin' on late 19th century map but not shown on mid 19th century Tithe Map. Hen Tor was mentioned in the 14th and 15th centuries

Location

Grid Reference:SX 589 656
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishShaugh Prior
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSHAUGH PRIOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/126/1
  • Old SAM Ref: 24230(P)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XIX to Mid 20th Century - 1850 AD to 1950 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Hentor House (Ruin)' shown on 19th century map.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Hentor House' shown on early 20th century map as an L-shaped building sub-divided into four compartments.

Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 259-260 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Hen Tor was mentioned as 'Hyndetorr' in 1375 and as 'Hyndetorre', 'Hendetorre' and 'Hentorre' in 1474.

Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., 140435 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Presumably the main dwelling of the farmstead at Hentor, though not necessarily the first Medieval house on the farm. The structure is well built and its present outline indicates three phases of construction. The central element is a two compartment long house adjoined by two further rectangular structures. The long house forms the earliest element of the farmhouse. It is well built and although a considerable amount of masonry has tumbled into its interior, especially in the eastern compartment, an inner and outer wall face can be traced around most of the structure, indicating a wall width of 0.9 metres. Up to five courses of drystone masonry survive and tumble scattered beyond the east end is presumably the collapsed gable wall. The structure is divided by a 1.3 metre wide partition wall which may have supported a straight flight of stairs to an upper storey. A 1 metre wide rubble filled gap at the south end of this wall represents a doorway which would have provided access between the two ground floor rooms. Entry from outside was through another gap directly opposite the partition and which would have provided direct access to both compartments. The western compartment measures 6 metres by 3.8 metres and at the west end a small gap faced with regular stones through the wall may be a window embrasure, which was filled in when the west annexe was built. The eastern compartment measures 5.2 metres by 3.8 metres wide and built into its north wall are two small cupboard recesses. One of these may be `Mother Nicholl's Book Place' described to Worth by William Ware of Ditsworthy. A 1.1 metre wide gap faced with regular masonry on the west side of the south wall may be a window embrasure. Attached to the outer south wall of the east compartment of the long house is a small rectangular annexe with internal dimensions of 5.9 metres by 5 metres. The entrance to this structure is through its w wall where a 1.1 metre wide gap survives adjacent to the long house. The drystone construction of this structure is similar to that of the main long house, though it contains some large orthostatic slabs on the outer face of the south wall. A small cupboard recess measuring 0.35 metres wide by 0.25 metres high, is inserted into the south wall. Attached to the west wall of the long house is a further structure which is of cruder construction than the other two parts of the farmhouse. The walls are composed of large irregular stones and its interior measures 7 metres by 3.7 metres. A small recess, square in section and covered by a 0.5 metres long lintel is inserted into the west end of the n wall. An intermittent line of stones 1.1 metres from the inner face of the west end may demarcate a subdivision within the structure. Access must have been through a 0.4 metres wide gap in the south wall, flanked on the west side by a fallen facing and on the east side by an orthostat, which directly abuts the outer wall of the long house. The difference in the construction method between this structure and the others forming the farmhouse may be related to function rather than date.

National Trust and English Heritage, 1994, The Upper Plym Valley: The Management of an Historic Landscape, )233-42, 102.910. (Report - non-specific). SDV166309.

White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Hentor (Un-published). SDV352501.

Hentor site of a farmhouse.

Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Outlines of farmstead shown on modern mapping.

Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 259-260.
SDV166309Report - non-specific: National Trust and English Heritage. 1994. The Upper Plym Valley: The Management of an Historic Landscape. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. 102.130. A4 Comb Bound. )233-42, 102.910..
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 140435.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #95246 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Hentor.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV3430Part of: Hentor Warren Farm (Monument)
MDV55438Related to: Bank (Monument)
MDV55434Related to: BUILDING in the Parish of Shaugh Prior (Building)
MDV55435Related to: BUILDING in the Parish of Shaugh Prior (Building)
MDV55437Related to: BUILDING in the Parish of Shaugh Prior (Building)
MDV55441Related to: BUILDING in the Parish of Shaugh Prior (Building)
MDV64817Related to: BUILDING in the Parish of Shaugh Prior (Building)
MDV24937Related to: Phillips Leat, Shaugh Prior (Monument)
MDV55442Related to: Structure at Hentor Farm (Monument)
MDV55436Related to: Trapezoidal shaped enclosure, Hentor Farm (Monument)
MDV55439Related to: TROUGH in the Parish of Shaugh Prior (Monument)
MDV55440Related to: Yard at Hentor Farm (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8148 - The Upper Plym Valley: The Management of an Historic Landscape
  • EDV8155 - Plym Valley Survey

Date Last Edited:Oct 15 2019 2:03PM