HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV56851
Name:Pillow mound north-east of Trowlesworthy Warren House

Summary

One of two pillow mounds 415m and 430m north east of Trowlesworthy Warren House forming part of Trowlesworthy Warren. The northern mound is also rectangular and is 5.5m long, 3.2m wide and 0.6m high. A 1.8m wide and 0.4m deep quarry ditch surrounds the mound.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 571 650
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishShaugh Prior
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSHAUGH PRIOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/240/44
  • Old SAM Ref: 28794

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PILLOW MOUND (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, MIGRATED RECORD - MONUMENT PROTECTION PROGRAMME DATA (Migrated Record). SDV331.

Another mound lies 35.8m to the se (mpp).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV137508.

Des=mpp/140504.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

This monument, which falls into two areas of protection, includes two pillow mounds situated on a north west facing slope of Little Trowlesworthy Tor overlooking the valley of the River Plym. These mounds form part of Trowlesworthy Warren, which includes around 64 pillow mounds and 40 vermin traps scattered along the slopes of Little and Great Trowlesworthy Tors. The boundaries of the warren are denoted by the River Plym, Spanish Lake and Blacka Brook. Trowlesworthy Warren is generally accepted as the oldest surviving warren on Dartmoor, although recently doubt has been expressed concerning its medieval origins. It is however known that the warren existed by 1651 when it was occupied by John Hamblin, a skinner from Plymouth. The warren appears to have remained in constant use from this time until the first half of the 20th century.
The northern mound is also rectangular and is 5.5m long, 3.2m wide and 0.6m high. A 1.8m wide and 0.4m deep quarry ditch surrounds the mound. Other archaeological features surviving within the vicinity of this monument are the subject of separate schedulings. This monument is in the care of the Secretary of State.
(See related record).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV137508Migrated Record:
SDV331Migrated Record: Unknown. MIGRATED RECORD - MONUMENT PROTECTION PROGRAMME DATA. Monument Protection Programme. Unknown.
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV56850Related to: Pillow mound 415 metres north-east of Trowlesworthy Warren House (Monument)
MDV56818Related to: Pillow mound at Trowlesworthy Warren (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7369 - Survey of Granite Loading Bays at Trowlesworthy, Devon

Date Last Edited:Dec 18 2015 9:54AM