HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV57162
Name:Drove roads at Stanlake Farmstead, Walkhampton

Summary

Drove roads lead from the farmstead to the moorland. The most obvious one leads westwards through the infield and survives as a narrow hollow way defined on both sides with revetted banks. This would also have provided direct access to the public highway across walkhampton common. The second leads north and provided access to the rich grazing areas adjacent to the river. The third leads south-east and provided access to the outfield on the east side of the river, and also to the open moorland on Raddick Hill.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 568 709
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Extensive earthwork and structural remains of the late 18th century Devonport Leat, Bronze Age features north-east of Nun’s Cross, Whiteworks Tin Mine and other tinning remains on Walkhampton Common as well as earthworks of Bachelors Hall Mine

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SE/200/11
  • Old SAM Ref: 24105
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • DROVE ROAD (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Gerrard, S., 1997, Stanlake Farmstead, 24 (Article in Serial). SDV257268.

Drove roads lead from the farmstead to the moorland. The most obvious one leads w through the infield and survives as a narrow hollowy defined on both sides with revetted banks. This would also have provided direct access to the public highway across walkhampton common. The second leads n and provided access to the rich grazing areas adjacent to the river. The third leads se and provided access to the outfield on the e side of the river, and also to the open moorland on raddick hill (gerrard).

Sources / Further Reading

  • Article in Serial: Gerrard, S.. 1997. Stanlake Farmstead. Meavy Valley Archaeology. 2. Paperback Volume. 24.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7518 - Survey of the Stanlake Prehistoric Settlement
  • EDV7519 - Survey of Stanlake Farmstead

Date Last Edited:Jun 12 2018 4:28PM