HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV5737
Name:St Petrock's Parish Church, South Brent

Summary

Parish Church of St Petrock in South Brent with a 12th century west tower. Was rebuilt in the 14th century with aisles added in 15th century and restored in the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 696 602
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615345
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX66SE/47
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))
  • SUNDIAL (XVII - 1650 AD to 1699 AD? (Between))
  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War I to World War II - 1914 AD to 1945 AD (Between))

Full description

Stephen, J., South Brent Ancient and Modern (Pamphlet). SDV145421.


Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica (Monograph). SDV323771.


Reichel, O. J., 1898, The Domesday Churches of Devon, 310 (Article in Serial). SDV863.

It is presumed that the abbey had an oratory here at the time of the Domesday survey.


Baring Gould, S., 1900-1901, St. Petrock, 12 (Article in Serial). SDV19012.

Parish Church of South Brent is dedicated to St Petrock. It belonged to the Abbey of Buckfast.


Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II, 444-5 (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

Rood screen, removed 1870, and has since deteriorated. On the east side are 11 bays, 5 in the nave and 3 in each of the aisles. The groining is missing, and the spandrels are covered with portions of the old carving attached at random.


Baring Gould, S., 1907, The Book of Devon (Monograph). SDV145422.


Stubbs, J., 1908, Some Old Devon Churches (Monograph). SDV145420.


Chanter, J. F., 1910, Christianity in Devon before AD 909, 489, 491 (Article in Serial). SDV870.

South Brent formed part of the lands of Buckfast Abbey. Celtic dedication also noted.


Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 471,487 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.


Chanter, J. F., 1913, Fifth report of the Committee on Church Plate, 112-3 (Article in Serial). SDV312224.

Chalices:
A: Georgian style. Stem circular, with a slight knop, foot circular. Marks 1) maker C. L. in heart shaped shield, pellet under (Joseph Clare, Ent, 1713). 2) Britannia, 3) lion's head erased, 4) date letter 1729, London.
B: modern medieval. Foot circular. Marks; 1) WBJ (Messrs Barnard), 2) leopard's head, 3) lion passant, 4) date letter, 1890 London. Inscription"Irene da Calicera. Agape mirce mi". Given by Mary F S Parker as a thank offering, Easter Day, Mar. 27th, 1910.
Paten; plain, on foot. Marks as on chalice A.
Flagon; tankard shaped, domed lid. Marks 1) maker, WA (Richard Watts), 2) britannia, 3) lion's head erased, 4) date letter, 1717 London inscription"Given by Mrs Eliza Lee daughter of ye Rev Mr John Wilcocks, late vicar of this church, 1717".
Arms; impaled, on a lozenge dexter. Arg. On a Fesse Az. Three leopards' heads. Sinister arg (?) a chief vair, a lion rampant between three crescents.


Clarke, K. M., 1916, The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 4, 316, Plate 9 (Article in Serial). SDV145498.

Font at St Petrock's parish church in South Brent. Modified honeysuckle ornament; the subdivisions of the honeysuckle are separated instead of touching. The bounding lines are single instead of double. There is a wide cable twist below the rim, saw tooth at the foot of the bowl, and it is made of red sandstone. The bowl of the font is decorated with anthemion, or conventional greek honeysuckle, a type of font peculiar to the south west.


Rundle, J., 1922-1923, Sculptured figure at South Brent, 251 (Article in Serial). SDV145431.


Chanter, J. F., 1922-1923, Sculptured figure at South Brent, 304 (Article in Serial). SDV145411.

Some fine fragments of a life-sized recumbent effigy and high tomb of the 15th century, with its original colours of red, green and gold, was found in a wall of the building.


Copeland, G. W., 1942, Eleventh Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 123-4 (Article in Serial). SDV145407.

The parish church was rebuilt in the late 12th century. It is a cruciform church with a central tower planned but not carried out. The bulk of the Norman tower still stands with a 13th century top stage and a transept south of the tower. The present nave has striking arcades built, or rebuilt in the 14th century. Norman font. Remains of a rood screen used as altar rails, across the tower arch and in a war memorial.


Copeland, G. W., 1942, Eleventh Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 123-4 (Article in Serial). SDV145407.

A 12th century Norman font.


Fryer Cornelius, C., 1946, Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot, 129, 133, 144 (Article in Serial). SDV312246.


Fryer Cornelius, C., 1947, Fittings, Furnishings and Finishings of the Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot (Article in Serial). SDV312247.


Anonymous, 1952, Guide to St Petrocks Church, South Brent (Pamphlet). SDV145423.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 264-5 (Monograph). SDV336217.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 347 (Monograph). SDV17562.


Copeland, G. W., 1965, Proceedings at the 103rd Annual Meeting, 27 (Article in Serial). SDV145408.

A large and complex structure - two churches in one; the 12th century west tower with its converted south transept, and eastwards a much larger building added in the 14th and 15th centuries. It has 14th century arcades, 15th century windows, transepts, good south porch, and a chancel with chapels.


A. C. + H. E., 1966, An account of the church & parish of South Brent from two different sources (Pamphlet). SDV323982.

The Celtic Christian St Petrock returned to Cornwall c AD550 & died at Padstow. Eleven churches are dedicated to St Petrock in Devon & Cornwall & a tradition exists that he was the founder of Buckfast Abbey. There may have been a Saxon church at South Brent. The present tower was the centre of the cruciform Norman church. The church has six 19C inscribed bells. A list of vicars is given from 1268 to 1950. Late Norman font with honeysuckle design said to be of Greek origin.


A. C. + H. E., 1966, An account of the church & parish of South Brent from two different sources (Pamphlet). SDV323987.

Scanty remains of a once beautiful rood screen at St Petrock's parish church. Other details: 1st Edition 1951.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist (Worksheet). SDV151046.

Sundial at St Petrock's Parish Church in South Brent. Extant. A slate sundial over a south facing window of the parish church, very high up. The sides are scroll shaped and the gnomon is of plain iron. William Crossing (Western Antiquary Jan 1882) states "the dial is placed over the window of the south transept and is formed of a slate slab 2' 4" in width and the same height at the sides but higher by 5" in the centre there being some carved ornamentation in the upper part of it. This carving is carried down the sides of the face but the bottom edge is quite plain. On the higher part of the slab immediately above the figures of the dial is the following inscription:- 'E A 1685 as time and hours pass away so douth y life of man decay'". He points out that this is the same couplet as on the North Huish church.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist, Recorded by G. Wall (Worksheet). SDV151046.

Origins of this church are as a 6th century chantry chapel built on pre-existing religious sites. Possibly original foundation of Petrock. The building itself is an early English reconstruction of a Saxon cruciform building the remains of which are the base of the tower and lower parts of the vestry transept and which extended to a north-south line from the present southern door.
The Norman building was built at a higher level and capitals and arches of Saxon building are still visible in the bell ringing chamber.
Tower: Original Saxon crossing tower now at western end. It rises in four stages and “consists of two kinds of masonry, flat and slate-y below, larger blacks above where a corbel table carries the battlements. No buttresses” (according to Pevsner, 1952). Dean Jeremiah Milles (18th century) mentions a spire. Remains of a clock have recently been found.
Roof: slates on a pitched pine wagon roof.
Windows: perpendicular with three or four cinquefoil heads. Early English with three trefoiled heads and intersecting tracery. Three have stained glass; all Victorian.
1) East window depicting the nativity in memory of John Elliott, Lord of the Manor, died 24/09/1874 aged 24
2) South transept window depicted SS George, Patrick, Andrew, David, Peter and Paul in memory of the Hamlyn family (1896).
3) At the western end of the north aisle depicting the prodigal son in memory of John Elliott, Lord of the Manor, died 1856.
Nave: slate floor from removed headstones with Victorian tiles separated from aisles by tall octagonal granite piers with limestone capitals and doubled chamfered arches. Six bays. Modern oak pews replacing 18th century high box pews.
Pulpit: dates to 1935 and replaces a Gothic stone example of which the steps to the vestry remain. Donated by Mesdames (spelling?) Prince and Latham.
Lectern: 19th century with a brass eagle.
Sanctuary / chancel: 14th century with three seat sedilia. Altar rails remnant of medieval rood screen removed 1870. 14th century piscina. Memorial tablets to Speare-Cole family, Amyatt family, Baker family. Furnishings are 20th century. 1926 in memory of George Vere Hugh. Cholmondeley. Vine design. English altar dating to the 20th century.
Lady Chapel: was restored when the Mothers’ Union was formed. Tudor Altar table. Russian icon – of little value. Other furnishings are 20th century.
War memorial chapel: dates to 1946 with modern furnishings. Decoration behind altar from medieval rood screen. Altar frontal – Jacobean embroidered in gold thread.
The main door is originally medieval with sanctuary handle.


Wall, G., 1978, South Brent (Un-published). SDV178067.

The screen was removed in 1870 at the 'restoration' of the church but several fragments have been used in other parts of the church including the 1914-1918 war memorial chapel altar table, the large beam across the top of the belfry screen, the altar rails on the high altar & the decoration across the back of the 1939-1945 war memorial chapel.


Masson Phillips, E. N. (ed) + Worth, R. H., 1979, Church geology, 169 (Article in Serial). SDV145424.

The Permian red sandstone used in this church is from Roundham, Paignton.


Department of Environment, 1986, South Brent, 54 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV178295.

Church of St Petrock. Circa 12th century west tower, formerly at the crossing of the originally cruciform church. The west end was demolished early 14th century when the present nave was rebuilt with two transepts. North and south aisles of early 15th century, probably 1436 when three altars were dedicated, restored late 19th century. Granite rubble slate roof. All round the church are thin buttresses with set-offs. Circa 15th century south porch. Perpendicular windows. Five bay north and south arcades plus one was to chancel chapels with double chamfered arches and tall octagonal granite piers with moulded capitals of limestone. Nave transepts and chancel have late 19th century inserted waggon roof. Triple sedilia on south side of chancel with cusped ogee arches, two with shields in the spandrels. Piscina has cusped arch and multifoil bowl. Late 19th century furnishings including carved chair stalls and pulpit and brass eagle lectern.


Brown, S. + Matthews, A., 1997, St Petroc's church, South Brent: archaeological evaluation (Report - Evaluation). SDV145413.

Evaluation in north part of graveyard, in advance of construction of 'garderobe' building, revealed archaeological features of 17th or 18th century, together with some charnel material and a drain of late medieval or early post medieval date. See report for details.


Brown, S. + Matthews, A., 1998, St Petrock's church, South Brent: archaeological excavation (Report - Excavation). SDV152410.


Brown, S. + Matthews, A., 1998, St Petroc's church, South Brent: archaeological evaluation (Report - Evaluation). SDV145414.

Excavations undertaken in 1997 and 1998 uncovered a number of archaeological features dating from 17th - 19th century, overlying or cutting through a late medieval or early post-medieval layer containing human bones from disturbed burials. Earliest feature was a stone land drain from same period set into surface of layer containing skeletal material. Uppermost levels produced architectural fragments and roofing slates originating from medieval fabric. These included at least 6 fragments of a late medieval tomb.


Wall, G., 2005, The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community (Monograph). SDV360849.


Woodcock, A., 2009, Honeysuckle and Red Sandstone: Some Characteristics of Romanesque Stonecarving in South Devon, 77-92 (Article in Serial). SDV361655.

Mid to late 12th century stone carving in Ashprington, Blackawton, Buckfastleigh, Cornworthy, Dartmouth (St Petrox), Denbury, Paignton, South Brent, Thurlestone, Ugborough and Wolborough.


Muriel and Richard Brine, 2015, Devon Heritage, War memorial pages (Website). SDV352499.

War Memorials in South Brent are located in St. Petrock’s Church. The 1914-1918 memorial consists of a plaque reading: “To the Glory of God and in honoured memory of parishioners of South Brent who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919”. Names are listed below.
The 1939-1945 memorial is also included and details of the servicemen, including rank and family connections are detailed (where known).


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England, 1147794 (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

14/74 Church of St Petrock, 9-2-1961 Grade II
Parish church. Circa C12 west tower, formerly at the crossing of the originally cruciform church. The west end was demolished circa early C14 when the present nave was rebuilt with two transepts. North and south aisles of early C15, probably 1436 when three altars were dedicated, restored late C19. Granite rubble slate roofs. All round the church are thin buttresses with set-offs. Nave and north and south aisles under one roof. North aisle has two restored Perpendicular three-light windows and restored three-light window with intersecting tracery and three-light straight-headed windows with C13 blocked doorway below. South aisle has two restored three-light Perpendicular windows three-light window with restored intersecting tracery and hollow-chamfered two-centred arch south doorway with nail-studded plank door with wrought iron strap hinges. Circa C15 south porch with two-centred moulded arch doorway. Chancel has restored Perpendicular windows, three lights to south and four lights to east. North and south transepts with restored four-light Perpendicular north and south windows, north transept has blocked east window. chapels to north and south of chancel in the angles with transepts, with moulded battlement and restored four-light Perpendicular windows. The south chapel has a small chamfered depressed arch down on south side and a rood stair turret with battlements in the angle with south transept. Unbuttressed west tower (originally central) with three string courses and battlements on corbel table, Lancet bell-openings. Blocked tower arches on north and west sides. That on the west side has inserted three-light window with intersecting tracery and restored mullions and a hollow-chamfered two-central arch window below. Vestry in position of original south transept. Interior: Five bay north and south arcades plus one way to chancel chapels with double-chamfered arches and tall octagonal granite piers with moulded capitals of limestone. The arches to the transepts are stilted on the east side to accommodate the screen which has been removed. Double chamfered four-centred chancel arch high up on corbels. Plain two-centred tower arch with imposts and blocked arch on south of tower. Nave, transepts and chancel have late C19 inserted waggon roof. Triple sedilia on south side of chancel with cusped ogee arches, two with shields in the spandrels. Piscina has cusped arch and multifoil bowl. Cusped ogee-arched piscina in north chapel. Late C12 red sandstone font with round bowl with cable moulding around top, wide frieze of palmettes and zigzag below. Base of circa wooden screen used as altar rail. Late C19 furnishings including carved chair stalls and pulpit and brass eagle lectern. Monuments: Johannis Cary 1729 slate tablet in north chapel. Three early-mid C19 wall monument in chancel. Admiral William Cuming, 1824 marble wall monument by Kendall of Exeter with mourning female bent over an urn. At west end of north aisle a painted board to Robert Prowse and wife 1717 with Latin inscription.
Listing NGR: SX6961760254

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145407Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1942. Eleventh Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 74. A5 Hardback. 123-4.
SDV145408Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1965. Proceedings at the 103rd Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 97. A5 Hardback. 27.
SDV145411Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1922-1923. Sculptured figure at South Brent. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. 304.
SDV145413Report - Evaluation: Brown, S. + Matthews, A.. 1997. St Petroc's church, South Brent: archaeological evaluation. Stewart Brown Associates Report. A4 Unbound.
SDV145414Report - Evaluation: Brown, S. + Matthews, A.. 1998. St Petroc's church, South Brent: archaeological evaluation. Stewart Brown Associates Report. A4 Unbound.
SDV145420Monograph: Stubbs, J.. 1908. Some Old Devon Churches. Some Old Devon Churches.
SDV145421Pamphlet: Stephen, J.. South Brent Ancient and Modern. South Brent Ancient and Modern. Unknown.
SDV145422Monograph: Baring Gould, S.. 1907. The Book of Devon. The Book of Devon.
SDV145423Pamphlet: Anonymous. 1952. Guide to St Petrocks Church, South Brent. Guide to St Petrocks Church, South Brent. Unknown.
SDV145424Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N. (ed) + Worth, R. H.. 1979. Church geology. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 111. A5 Paperback. 169.
SDV145431Article in Serial: Rundle, J.. 1922-1923. Sculptured figure at South Brent. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. Unknown. 251.
SDV145498Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1916. The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 4. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 48. Unknown. 316, Plate 9.
SDV151046Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist. South Brent Parish Checklist. A4 Single Sheet. Recorded by G. Wall.
SDV152410Report - Excavation: Brown, S. + Matthews, A.. 1998. St Petrock's church, South Brent: archaeological excavation. Stewart Brown Associates Report. Digital.
SDV15387Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 471,487.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 347.
SDV178067Un-published: Wall, G.. 1978. South Brent. Parish Checklist.
SDV178295List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. South Brent. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 54.
SDV19012Article in Serial: Baring Gould, S.. 1900-1901. St. Petrock. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 1. Unknown. 12.
SDV312224Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1913. Fifth report of the Committee on Church Plate. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 45. A5 Hardback. 112-3.
SDV312246Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1946. Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 78. A5 Hardback. 129, 133, 144.
SDV312247Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1947. Fittings, Furnishings and Finishings of the Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 79. A5 Hardback.
SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown.
SDV323982Pamphlet: A. C. + H. E.. 1966. An account of the church & parish of South Brent from two different sources. St Petrock's Church, South Brent.
SDV323987Pamphlet: A. C. + H. E.. 1966. An account of the church & parish of South Brent from two different sources. St Petrock's Church, South Brent.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 264-5.
SDV352499Website: Muriel and Richard Brine. 2015. Devon Heritage. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website. War memorial pages.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #95800 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1147794.
SDV360849Monograph: Wall, G.. 2005. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. Hardback Volume.
SDV361655Article in Serial: Woodcock, A.. 2009. Honeysuckle and Red Sandstone: Some Characteristics of Romanesque Stonecarving in South Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 141. Paperback Volume. 77-92.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital. 444-5.
SDV863Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1898. The Domesday Churches of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 30. A5 Paperback. 310.
SDV870Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1910. Christianity in Devon before AD 909. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 42. A5 Hardback. 489, 491.

Associated Monuments

MDV121536Related to: Bakers Tenement, South Brent (Monument)
MDV121538Related to: Island House and Island Cottage, South Brent (Building)
MDV13253Related to: Lych gate at St Petrock's Parish Church, South Brent (Monument)
MDV5760Related to: South Brent, The Manor House (Building)
MDV38018Related to: St Petrock's Parish Church, Boundary Wall (Monument)
MDV38015Related to: St Petrock's Parish Church, Chest Tomb (Monument)
MDV38016Related to: St Petrock's Parish Church, Chest Tomb (Monument)
MDV38017Related to: St Petrock's Parish Church, Chest Tomb (Monument)
MDV5739Related to: St Petrock's Parish Church, Stone Pillar (Monument)

Associated Finds

  • FDV3229 - CHURCH PLATE (XVIII to XX - 1750 AD to 1950 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV2970 - St Petroc's church, South Brent: archaeological evaluation
  • EDV7092 - Excavation to the north of St. Petrock's Church, South Brent

Date Last Edited:Aug 2 2018 8:50AM