HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV57544
Name:Smythes Mill, Axminster

Summary

Mill House and Mill Cottage in Vale Lane were once part of Smythes Mill a grist mill which ceased operating in the mid 19th century. It was converted to a foundry which closed in 1921. The waterwheel was removed in the 1930s or 40s. A millstone from Smythes Mill now covers a well in Pennys Field.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 295 986
Map Sheet:SY29NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAxminster
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishAXMINSTER

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY29NE/318

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (XVI to XXI - 1501 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Buildings depicted but not named on 1880s to 1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Godwin, A. P. D., 1992, A Study of Three Watermill Sites along the River Axe (Un-published). SDV348704.

Mill House and Mill Cottage. There is a reference to a mill leat in 1533. Formerly Smythe's Mill. Smythe's mill ceased to operate as a gristmill in the mid 19th century and the machinery was converted to operate as a foundry. It closed in 1921 and the waterwheel, which was undershot, was removed in 1930's or 40's. The wheel pit can still be seen in the bed of the stone and brick lined mill stream. Mill Cottage was the mill storage and working area. Both properties have rear extensions over the mill stream, supported on cut-stone pillars. The arch nearest Mill House contains the remains of the cog pit which once housed the pitwheel. Both properties are of rendered rough stone, traditionally thought to have come from the castle. They are now slate roofed but originally thatched. The Mill House roof is of cruck construction. The mill was formerly entered from Vale Lane through an archway into Mill Cottage. The archway, now infilled, is visible as a raised area along the wall. A millstone from Smythe's Mill now covers a well in Pennys Field adjacent to the A358 and Fairy Lane.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348704Un-published: Godwin, A. P. D.. 1992. A Study of Three Watermill Sites along the River Axe. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #95842 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV81026Related to: Town Mill Leat, Axminster (Monument)
MDV18625Related to: Town Mill, Axminster (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 19 2012 10:44AM