HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV583


Farmhouse built from the remains of a 17th century mansion which was extended in the 18th century. Over the main entrance is a datestone 1629.


Grid Reference:SS 475 375
Map Sheet:SS43NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBraunton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRAUNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS43NE/6
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 98273

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to XIX - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Fairlinch Remains of a Mansion' shown.

Ordnance Survey, 1905, 8SE (Cartographic). SDV17296.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953 - 1954, SS43NE7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV72266.

1. Fairlinch: Remains of Mansion.
2. A farm, the dwelling house of which is the remains of an ancient mansion.
3. Built by Michael Burgoyne in 1629, possibly on the site of a former building and added to in the late 18th century.
4. The building, the main entrance of which consists of a stone tower bearing the date stone 1629, and the eastern part comprising 'the oak room' in which is a coat of arms built in the overmantle with the date 1635, has been considerably modernised and added to on the west side. All in good state of repair.
5. The Deeds date back to 4th June, 24th Elizabeth (ie the 24th year of Elizabeth's reign which is 1583), date on Tower 1629, Oak Room 1635, with MB over the door. The new part was built by the Parminters who bought Fairlinch in 1771.

French, K. + French, C., 1957, Devonshire Plasterwork, 129 (Article in Serial). SDV4676.

Another fine example of ceilings with enriched ribs. The layout of the panels is included in John Abbott's book of designs.

Finberg, H. P. R., 1969, Westcountry Historical Studies, 131-132 (Monograph). SDV140512.

Documented in the Calender of Close Rolls for 1324. Sited on the edge of the Braunton Great Field.

Department of Environment, 1985, Braunton, 10 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV73918.

Farmhouse built 1629 (by porch datestone) extended at rear in late 18th century and rendered extension to front rebuilt in 20th century. Rubble stone, 18th century extension in brick with slate roofs, hipped to left end of main range, gable-ends to extension. Originally single-depth through passage plan with two storey porch to front lateral stack to rear, the rebuilt right-angled extension to front right-end forming L-shaped and the 19th century extension to rear at right angles to left end of main range forming overall Z-shape. Two storeys formerly four window range to main range, the left-side openings now blocked on both floors. Crenellated 2 storey porch with sash 8 over 8 panes with datestone and heraldic shield in stone inset above. Rounded porch archway of dressed stone. Main range contains fine rooms on each floor to left of through passage. Ground floor has 17th century panelling on all 4 walls. Good chimneypiece dated 1635 with 4 carved figures. Enriched plaster mouldings on the two transverse ceiling beams supported at each end on Corinthian pilasters. Initials of M Burgoyne over doorway. The chamber over has rich 17th century ornamental plasterwork ceiling of geometrical strapwork design. Principal room with eared surround to chimneypiece with central plaque with swag decoration over ornate wrought iron hood and grate. Roof structural features. See list for full details. Other details: 7/33.

Child, P., 1999, Stables at Fairlynch, Braunton (Correspondence). SDV349515.

The house was doubled in size in the 18th century with the addition of a rear wing containing a saloon and a grand stair. The original part of the house contains a fine 17th century plaster ceiling and a panelled room.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV140512Monograph: Finberg, H. P. R.. 1969. Westcountry Historical Studies. Westcountry Historical Studies. A5 Hardback. 131-132.
SDV17296Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 8SE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349515Correspondence: Child, P.. 1999. Stables at Fairlynch, Braunton. Letter to Farming and Rural Conservation Agency. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV4676Article in Serial: French, K. + French, C.. 1957. Devonshire Plasterwork. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 129.
SDV72266Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953 - 1954. SS43NE7. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV73918List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Braunton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 10.

Associated Monuments

MDV102392Part of: Fairlinch Farm, Braunton (Monument)
MDV72443Related to: Fairlinch, Well (Monument)
MDV102390Related to: Stables at Fairlynch, Braunton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Aug 4 2016 2:33PM