HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV58456
Name:St David's House, Commercial Wharf, Bideford

Summary

St. David's House. Early 19th century with additions to left and at rear. The most architecturally distinguished building on the Commercial Wharf site.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 453 261
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/275/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Torridge District Council, Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999, 17 (Un-published). SDV345901.

Unoccupied since the 1980s, but currently wind and water tight with window and door openings blocked. It is the key building in the New Road/Torridge Hill area.

Considered to be 'seriously at risk', and is identified as a target building. Photo included.


Department of National Heritage, 19/04/1993, Bideford (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338459.

Formerly known as Tree-Hurst, New Road. House. Early 19th century with additions to left and at rear. Solid rendered walls. Rear addition of exposed stone rubble. Hipped slate roofs. 3 rebuilt red-brick chimneys. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Addition to left single-storeyed and 1 window wide. Doorway to main house round-arched with moulded architrave having a mask-keystone. 4-panelled door, the 2 bottom panels much the smaller; reeded letterbox; elaborately patterned fanlight. Porch with fluted Ionic columns; entablature enriched with dentils and egg-and-dart. Windows have raised surrounds with 8-paned sashes in box-frames, except that the sashes in the middle of the second storey are 6-paned. Small boxed eaves cornice. Side-windows to right have matching sashes. Addition to left has plain triple-sashed window in front: on left side a 4-panelled door and 2 windows with 6-paned sashes. Interiors not inspected, but ground-floor front windows of main house have panelled shutters.


Parker, R. W. + Collings, A. G., 1997, Archaeological Assessment of Wooder Wharf, Bideford, 3, 6 (Report - Assessment). SDV15241.

Building 3. The most architecturally distinguished building on the Commercial Wharf site. It probably dates from around 1830. The interior has been extensively stripped, with the wholesale removal of the fireplaces and other internal fixtures and fittings. In addition, many of the floors and floor-joists have been removed to deter squatters. The building is now in extremely poor condition, and only a limited survey of the interior could be attempted.

The Tithe Map of 1839 shows a garden (no 1607), seemingly the front garden of what became St David's House. John Wood's of 1842 map shows the property occupied by 'Mr Howe'. Pigot's directory of 1844 lists John How as a corn and timber merchant.

Rogers quotes the recollection of a local inhabitant, probably dating to this time, referring to timber being unloaded from vessels in Appledore Pool and formed into rafts 100 foot or 200 foot long, to be steered up to How's Yard.

The 1929 Valuation List shows the site both owned and occupied by John How and Company Limited, the house and offices shared with Ernest Wills, with Thomas Elston occupying the cottage, presumably identifiable with the bungalow. In the 1930 Kelly's directory, Ernest Wills was listed as a private resident and the house was called 'Trehurst'.

Very poor condition, and only a limited survey of the interior could be attempted. The front garden was very much reduced by the widening of New Road.


Exeter Archaeology, 2001, Archaeological Assessment of a Proposed Residential Development at New Road, Bideford, 6 (Report - Assessment). SDV13528.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV13528Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2001. Archaeological Assessment of a Proposed Residential Development at New Road, Bideford. Exeter Archaeology Report. 01.33. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6.
SDV15241Report - Assessment: Parker, R. W. + Collings, A. G.. 1997. Archaeological Assessment of Wooder Wharf, Bideford. Exeter Archaeology Report. 97.57. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3, 6.
SDV338459List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 19/04/1993. Bideford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV345901Un-published: Torridge District Council. Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 17.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #96074 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV58455Parent of: Commercial Wharf, Bideford (Monument)
MDV43275Related to: Ford Timber Yard, Bideford (Monument)
MDV58457Related to: Shed attached to St David's House, Commercial Wharf, Bideford (Building)
MDV43274Related to: Wooder Wharf, Bideford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4517 - Archaeological Appraisal of River Torridge Pipeline Routes, Bideford, Devon

Date Last Edited:Aug 8 2012 11:54AM