See important
guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
| HER Number: | MDV58736 |
|---|
| Name: | Barn to south-east of Upcott Barton, Beaford |
|---|
Summary
Late 18th or early 19th century barn with adjoining mid 19th century horse engine house and linhay.
Location
| Grid Reference: | SS 564 154 |
|---|
| Map Sheet: | SS51NE |
|---|
| Admin Area | Devon |
|---|
| Civil Parish | Beaford |
|---|
| District | Torridge |
|---|
| Ecclesiastical Parish | BEAFORD |
|---|
Protected Status
Other References/Statuses
- Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51NE/21/1
- Old Listed Building Ref (II)
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- BARN (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- HORSE ENGINE HOUSE (Built, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- LINHAY (Built, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
Full description
Department of Environment, 1989, Beaford, 22 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV321165.
Barn and adjoining horse engine house and linhay approx 20m to south-east of Upcott Barton. Late C18 or early C19 barn with mid to late C19 alterations. Adjoining mid C19 horse engine house and linhay. Barn of cob on uncoursed stone rubble plinth with gable ended corrugated iron roof. Horse engine house of uncoursed stone rubble, also with gable ended corrugated iron roof. Linhay with uncoursed stone rubble ground floor, cob to loft and gable ended scantle slate roof. First floor piers rebuilt in C20 concrete block (probably replacing timber posts).
Plan: double barn aligned north-south with two pairs of opposed cart entrances. Mid to late C19 horse engine house projecting between entrances to east and mid to late C19 linhay adjoining south end of barn, also projecting to east.
Exterior: cart entrances have pairs of large boarded doors and wooden lintels. Entrances to east have shallow pent roofed porches. Old drive belt below porch to north-east entrance, to left of doorway (left hand support of porch was removed in the later C19 when the horse engine house was added). Minor late C19 lean-to additions to west. Gabled horse engine house to east with open north side and pairs of openings with wooden lintels in the gable end and the s side. Linhay has five bay open front with loft supported on circular stone piers.
Interior: barn has probably early C19 10-bay roof with trusses consisting of straight principals and nailed collars and pairs of purlins. Two openings into horse engine house. Some old line shafting associated with horse engine house, with belt wheels of various sizes. Horse engine house has large longitudinal wooden beam and belt wheels, formerly driving belt wheel under ne porch. Section of old drive shaft and its support also survives.
Child, P., 2000, Countryside Stewardship: Upcott Barton, Beaford (Correspondence). SDV366739.
The linhay is a traditional two storey building which has been partly absorbed by later buildings.
Ordnance Survey, 2026, Mastermap 2026 (Cartographic). SDV366713.
Sources / Further Reading
| SDV321165 | List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Beaford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 22. |
| |
| | |
| SDV366713 | Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2026. Mastermap 2026. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #96157 ] |
| |
| | |
| SDV366739 | Correspondence: Child, P.. 2000. Countryside Stewardship: Upcott Barton, Beaford. Countryside Stewardship Advice Letter. Letter + Digital. |
Associated Monuments
| MDV11953 | Related to: Farmhouse and Outbuildings, Upcott Barton, Beaford (Building) |
Associated Finds: none recorded
Associated Events: none recorded
| Date Last Edited: | Jan 29 2026 9:58AM |
|---|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.