HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV58737
Name:Coach House and Stables, Upcott Barton, Beaford

Summary

Coach house and stables of probable late 18th century date, enlarged in the late 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 563 154
Map Sheet:SS51NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBeaford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBEAFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51NE/21/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD (Between) to 1900 AD (Between))
  • COACH HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD (Between) to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1989, Beaford, 21 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV321165.

Coach house and stables approx 10m west of Upcott Barton. Probably late C18, enlarged in the late C19. Roughly squared and coursed stone with cob to first floor. Corrugated iron cladding to front and corrugated iron roof, gable ended to front and back. Late C19 additions of uncoursed stone rubble with some red brick dressings and gable ended welsh slate roofs.
Plan and development: former coach house to right, gable ended to front and back (facing south). Blocked doorways in side walls. The building possibly served another function, possibly formerly stables. Probably converted into coach house when two ranges of stables were added at right angles to left in the late C19. One storey and loft with one storey stable ranges.
Exterior: gable end to front has boarded loft door with C19 red brick dressings and wide ground floor entrance with wooden frame. Small narrow ground floor vents in left hand side wall with stone lintels. Rear gable end has first floor C19 3-light mullioned wooden window with wooden lintel, inserted in former loft doorway. Ground floor boarded door to left with wooden lintel and three small ground floor vents with stone lintels, left hand one blocked and right hand one partly blocked. Part of rear corner rebuilt. Late C19 stables have boarded doors with wooden lintels and inserted windows.
Interior: blocked ground floor side doorways with splayed jambs. Narrow vents also with splayed jambs. Loft supported on cross beams.

Child, P., 2000, Countryside Stewardship: Upcott Barton, Beaford (Correspondence). SDV366739.

Two single storey stable buildings on the north and south sides of a small yard. That on the south side has an adjacent shippen/granary at its east end.

Ordnance Survey, 2026, Mastermap 2026 (Cartographic). SDV366713.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV321165List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Beaford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 21.
SDV366713Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2026. Mastermap 2026. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #96158 ]
SDV366739Correspondence: Child, P.. 2000. Countryside Stewardship: Upcott Barton, Beaford. Countryside Stewardship Advice Letter. Letter + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV11953Related to: Farmhouse and Outbuildings, Upcott Barton, Beaford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 29 2026 11:42AM