HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV58910
Name:Pottery Kiln No. 3, Tuly Street, Barnstaple

Summary

Site of one of several post medieval pottery kilns excavated in the area.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 556 334
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/431/3

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • POTTERY KILN (Post Medieval to XVIII - 1540 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit, 1987, Post Medieval Pottery Kiln (Ground Photograph). SDV361948.

Photos of the excavated kiln showing the brick construction, tiled floor and central pedestal.


Timms, S., 1987, The Archaeology of North Devon Towns, 5 (Un-published). SDV354573.


Egan, G., 1988, Post-Medieval Britain in 1987 (Article in Serial). SDV70998.

Excavation by North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit in Old Castle Lane in 1987 revealed a 17th century pottery kiln. The construction used fired bricks for the firing chamber and flue walls, and large tiles for the chamber floor. These tiles respected a central pedestal within the chamber; a further 2 pedestals set on the tiled floor may have been later additions. Pottery waste filled the kiln and stoke pit - these included fine Sgraffito, suggesting a date of the mid-late 17th century for the last firing.


North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit, 1989, Archaeology in North Devon 1989, 21-3 (Report - non-specific). SDV342315.


North Devon District Council, 1989, Barnstaple Pottery Week and Kiln Build, 225 (Leaflet). SDV356885.

Three 17th century pottery kilns were excavated at Potters Lane between 1985 and 1987. They were some of the last reminders of a thriving industry whose trading network once spanned the Atlantic. The leaflet outlines events commemorating the pottery industry during Barnstaple pottery week including the construction and firing of a full sized replica kiln.


Lovatt, A. M., 1990, Excavations within a Medieval Town: North West Barnstaple 1985-1988, 12-13 (Report - Excavation). SDV64370.


Lovatt, A. M., 1990, The Excavation of Three Post-Medieval Pottery Kilns at Barnstaple 1986-1987, 6 (Report - Excavation). SDV319605.

Kiln 3, located beneath the former house at 6 Tuly Street, at junction with North Walk. Although it had been partially cut away by a well, and one wall of the later building, it was still substantially intact. The structure was sunk into the fills of an earlier ditch, which produced 17th century pot. The kiln consisted of a roughly circular chamber with 2 parallel fireboxes separated by a central pedestal. The combustion chamber survived to a max depth of 0.7 metres (up to 9 courses), and had a floor built from large tiles (0.5 metres by 0.34 metres), which respected the central pedestal. The pedestal, 2.82 metres by 0.2 metres, although partially removed by the later well, ran from the mouth of the fireboxes to within 0.2 metres of the rear wall of the chamber, surviving to a max depth of 0.8 metres (up to 11 courses). Where the pedestal separated the 2 fireboxes, the uppermost course overhung by 0.20 metres on both sides, representing the point from which the arched firebox roofs would have sprung. The fireboxes were paved with large tiles, although those in the eastern box were largely missing, these showed signs of heavy wear at the kiln mouth. The western firebox appears to have been rebuilt on at least one occasion. This was graphically illustrated by the pattern of heavy vitrification on the chamber wall which stopped abruptly at the vertical intersection with the firebox. In addition to the central pedestal, 2 curved side pedestals had been inserted, these sat directly on the chamber floor and may be a later refinement, although they only survived to a depth of 0.24 metres they must have originally helped to support the ware chamber floor. A row of 4 shallow postholes, to the north of the kiln may represent the foundations for some form of shelter over the working area. Kiln and stoke pit had been backfilled with pot waste, amongst which were a high proportion of saggars.


Simco, A., 1998, Monuments Protection Programme. The Clay Industries. Step 1 Report, 50 (Report - non-specific). SDV355880.


ASI Heritage Consultants, 2000, Leaderflush and Shapland Site, Barnstaple: Archaeological Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV70999.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003, Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme: Phase 1: Archaeological Assessment, 6, 12 (Report - Assessment). SDV319631.

A mid to late 17th century pottery kiln, partially truncated by a later well was located beneath the former house of 6 Tuly Street during the North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit Old Castle Lane excavations in 1987 (ND107). It had been backfilled with kiln waste, including a large number of saggars. A row of four shall post-holes may represent the remains of a former shelter.
Castle Lane could refer to Tuly Street or the Castle Lane shown on the Bridge Trust plan to the north of the motte. The 1851 census refers to Potters Lane as Castle Lane.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV319605Report - Excavation: Lovatt, A. M.. 1990. The Excavation of Three Post-Medieval Pottery Kilns at Barnstaple 1986-1987. North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6. [Mapped feature: #37539 ]
SDV319631Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2003. Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme: Phase 1: Archaeological Assessment. Exeter Archaeology Report. 03.62. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6, 12.
SDV342315Report - non-specific: North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit. 1989. Archaeology in North Devon 1989. North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 21-3.
SDV354573Un-published: Timms, S.. 1987. The Archaeology of North Devon Towns. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV355880Report - non-specific: Simco, A.. 1998. Monuments Protection Programme. The Clay Industries. Step 1 Report. English Heritage Report. Digital + A4. 50.
SDV356885Leaflet: North Devon District Council. 1989. Barnstaple Pottery Week and Kiln Build. Leaflet + Digital. 225.
SDV361948Ground Photograph: North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit. 1987. Post Medieval Pottery Kiln. Photograph (Paper) + Digital.
SDV64370Report - Excavation: Lovatt, A. M.. 1990. Excavations within a Medieval Town: North West Barnstaple 1985-1988. North Devon District Council Rescue Archaeology Unit Report. A4 Grip Bound + Digital. 12-13.
SDV70998Article in Serial: Egan, G.. 1988. Post-Medieval Britain in 1987. Post-Medieval Archaeology. 22. Unknown.
SDV70999Report - Assessment: ASI Heritage Consultants. 2000. Leaderflush and Shapland Site, Barnstaple: Archaeological Assessment. ASI Heritage Consultants Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV38774Part of: Post Medieval Pottery Works in Barnstaple (Monument)
MDV50123Related to: Pottery Kiln No. 1, Tuly Street, Barnstaple (Monument)
MDV58911Related to: Pottery Kiln No. 2, Tuly Street, Barnstaple (Monument)
MDV15273Related to: Rendles Pottery, North Walk, Barnstaple (Building)

Associated Finds

  • FDV1359 - POT (XVI to XVIII - 1540 AD to 1749 AD)
  • FDV1358 - PIPE (SMOKING) (XVII to XVIII - 1650 AD to 1720 AD)
  • FDV1361 - GLASS VESSEL (XVIII - 1710 AD to 1749 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV1377 - Excavation of Post-Medieval Pottery Kilns at Barnstaple
  • EDV1378 - Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme Archaeological Assessment

Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2018 3:09PM