HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV606
Name:St George's Hill Beacon

Summary

Site of a beacon to the north of the road at Georgehill Cross, formerly a low mound which was levelled in the early 20th century. Exact location not known.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 824 009
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSandford
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/16

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BEACON (Unknown date)

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Maps and Apportionments (Website). SDV349463.

Plot 1359 is described in the Crediton tithe apportionment as 'George Hill'.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Plot 1359 (Crediton).


Rose-Troup, F., 1942, Crediton Charters of the Tenth Century, 250 (Article in Serial). SDV38133.


Russell, P., 1955, Fire Beacons in Devon, 283 (Article in Serial). SDV336138.

St. George's Hill, beacon (elevation 142 metres).The low mound on or by which the chapel of St. George stood was cleared away in 1908. The site is on the north side of the old main road to North Devon. Its use as a beacon is attested by John Norden's terrier of 1598, but the hermit from the chapel may well have held the watch here, whilst his post may have been another Saxon 'ward setl' on the great track to North Devon.


Venn, T. W., 1961, History of Crediton, 31 (Un-published). SDV350735.


Finberg, H. P. R., 1968, Some Crediton documents re-examined with some observations on the criticism of Anglo-Saxon charters, 67 (Article in Serial). SDV38145.

The site is described as 'a look-out post' in a charter of 930.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1993, Archaeological assessment of SWW Crediton area water supply: Stage II, 2 (Report - Assessment). SDV337624.

Before being levelled in 1908, the site could be identified as a flat-topped, dry-ditched earthwork called 'The Mound', 6 feet high and circa 6 feet in circumference (citing Venn). Presently under arable cultivation. No surface remains visible. The feature mentioned in 10th century charters (see Finberg) was probably located further west, near Aller Barton.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336138Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1955. Fire Beacons in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 283.
SDV337624Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1993. Archaeological assessment of SWW Crediton area water supply: Stage II. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 93.79. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV349463Website: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Maps and Apportionments. http://devon.gov.uk. Website.
SDV350735Un-published: Venn, T. W.. 1961. History of Crediton. 31.
SDV38133Article in Serial: Rose-Troup, F.. 1942. Crediton Charters of the Tenth Century. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 74. A5 Hardback. 250.
SDV38145Article in Serial: Finberg, H. P. R.. 1968. Some Crediton documents re-examined with some observations on the criticism of Anglo-Saxon charters. Antiquaries Journal. 48. Unknown. 67.

Associated Monuments

MDV607Related to: St George's Chapel (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 11 2012 9:08AM