HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV608
Name:Chapel of St Lawrence, Crediton

Summary

Chapel with early 13th century origins, said to be in ruins after a fire in 1743, and restored in the 1920s.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 825 004
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5444
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/14
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 387068
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS80SW4

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XIII to XX - 1201 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Davidson, J. B., 1882, On Some Further Documents Relating to Credition Minster, 271 (Article in Serial). SDV57916.

Footnote refers to Dr. Oliver's Monasticum (78-9). 'The Chapel of St Lawrence's Hospital, at the west end of town, still remaining, in ruin, to which was annexed a cell for a recluse.'.


Smith, Rev. P., 1882, The Early History of Crediton, 196 (Article in Serial). SDV337632.

Chapel of St. Lawrence, at the west end of the town, the east and west gables of which are still standing, is mentioned for the first time in a deed of Bishop Brewere, dated at Crediton, December 3rd, 1242, and relating to the founding of a cell for a recluse near the chapel.


Windeatt, E., 1882, The Third Report of the Committee to Obtain Information as to Peculiar Tenures of Land, 182 (Article in Serial). SDV350736.


Reichel, O. J., 1922, The Manor and Hundred of Crediton, 169-170 (Article in Serial). SDV40070.

The lands belonging to St. Lawrence chapel at the dissolution amounted to over 262 acres. The chapel was 48 feet by 24 feet, and the east and west windows are still to be seen.


Montague, L. A. D., 1940 - 1941, Notes on Old Crediton, 33-34 (Article in Serial). SDV337762.

St Lawrence's Chapel, built in the early 13th century, fell into ruin after the fire of 1743. After being used as two dwellings, it was restored in 1920 and reconsecrated, and is now in use again as a chapel.


Venn, T. W., 1955, An Introduction to Crediton, alias Kirton or sometimes Critton, 26 (Article in Serial). SDV58742.


Clay, R. M., 1966, Medieval Hospitals of England, 112, 123, 277, 286 (Monograph). SDV176564.

Slight architectural remains of the medieval hospital.(These may however, probably be part of the disused St. Lawrence chapel). Mention is frequently made of chapels 'within the dormitory' or 'in the infirmary'.


Knowles, D. + Hadcock, R. N., 1971, Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales, 318, 354 (Monograph). SDV323253.


Department of Environment, 1972, Urban District of Crediton, 25 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV39769.

Originally circa 1200. Ruinous after the fire in C18. Restored 1920-21 by Mrs Drake of Winswood, Sir Charles Nicholson, architect. Used as school chapel. Roughly coursed red stone with fine dressings, good grouped lancet windows at each end.


Timms, S. C., 1980, Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton (Report - non-specific). SDV354697.

St. Lawrence's Chapel dates to circa 1200 and was formerly attached to a medieval hospital. It defines the western lilmits of the historic plan of West Town.


Wessex Archaeology, 2000, Alexandra Road, Crediton: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV323105.


Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, 2, 5 (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.

Has attractive red clay tile roof.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Chapel of St. Lawrence.
Chapel. Early 13th century origins, said to have been left ruinous after the 1743 fire of Crediton (old list description), used as a cottage at one time until thoroughly restored 1920-21 by Sir Charles Nicholson, restoration paid for by Mrs Drake of Winswood. Now used infrequently by Queen Elizabeth School. Local volcanic trap and sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; pantile roof. Early English Exterior: Largely rebuilt. plain clasping buttresses. East end has a triple lancet with double-chamfered lights and a hoodmould. West end similar with a moulded string at sill level. The north side appears to contain more original wall masonry than the south. North door with a double-chamfered 2-centred doorway with a hoodmould with label stops, flanked by lancet windows with chamfered frames and hoodmoulds with label stops. Blocked opening below western lancet. The south side is similar but with 3 chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds and label stops;dooray matches that on the north side.
Interior: Plastered walls; windows with deep internal splays. Detail largely 1920s, all fittings 1920s. A segmental-headed chamfered recess on the north wall of the chancel has medieval masonry on the west side with a short section of original moulded stone string. Internal splays of east and west windows have medieval chamfers and stops.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, SS80SW4 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV350737.

St Lawrence's Chapel (restored) - in use.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV176564Monograph: Clay, R. M.. 1966. Medieval Hospitals of England. Medieval Hospitals of England. Unknown. 112, 123, 277, 286.
SDV323105Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2000. Alexandra Road, Crediton: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 48168.01. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV323253Monograph: Knowles, D. + Hadcock, R. N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales. Unknown + Digital (part). 318, 354.
SDV337632Article in Serial: Smith, Rev. P.. 1882. The Early History of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 14. A5 Hardback. 196.
SDV337762Article in Serial: Montague, L. A. D.. 1940 - 1941. Notes on Old Crediton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 21. Unknown. 33-34.
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2, 5.
SDV350736Article in Serial: Windeatt, E.. 1882. The Third Report of the Committee to Obtain Information as to Peculiar Tenures of Land. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 14. 182.
SDV350737Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SS80SW4. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV354697Report - non-specific: Timms, S. C.. 1980. Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV39769List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Urban District of Crediton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 25.
SDV40070Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1922. The Manor and Hundred of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 54. A5 Hardback. 169-170.
SDV57916Article in Serial: Davidson, J. B.. 1882. On Some Further Documents Relating to Credition Minster. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 14. A5 Hardback. 271.
SDV58742Article in Serial: Venn, T. W.. 1955. An Introduction to Crediton, alias Kirton or sometimes Critton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 26.

Associated Monuments

MDV106678Parent of: Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Roll of Honour 1914 - 1918 (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 14 2017 2:50PM