HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV6120
Name:Waye Barton House, Chagford

Summary

Waye barton, former barton now a house. Early 17th century, rearranged and partly rebuilt in early 19th century, refurbished circa 1982. L-shaped building. The early 19th century interior of the main block is well-preserved and of good quality. The home of the Prouz family in the 16th century and up to 1664. One of the plaster initials probably commemorates one John Prouz.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 688 869
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68NE/11
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX68NE5

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1650 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

L-shaped house shown on the Tithe Map at Waybarton; 355 on the apportionment.


Ormerod, G. W., 1876, A historical sketch of the parish of Chagford, 76 (Article in Serial). SDV259032.

Waye Barton remains of Barton. The house called "Way" at Chagford. Home of the Prous family in the 16th century and up to 1664. In a room worked in plaster on the sloping sides of the ceiling are crowned roses between the letters CR. Other figures and motifs including the date 1636 and the letters IP, possibly indicating John Prowse.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The later 19th century historic map seems to show some changes to the footprint of the building since the earlier Tithe Map depiction.


Department of Environment, 1987, Chagford, 65 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350463.

Waye Barton, former Barton now a house.
Early 17th century, rearranged and partly rebuilt in early 19th century, refurbished circa 1982. Granite stone rubble walls with large dressed granite quoins, the early 19th century section was originally stuccoed but is now exposed; granite stacks with granite ashlar chimney shafts; slate roofs.
L-shaped building. The principal rooms are in the north-east facing early 19th century block which has a two room plan with a central entrance hall and stairs projecting to rear. Each room has a rear lateral stack. Two room plan with a lobby between. The early 19th century block has a symmetrical three window front arranged around a central doorway. The original panelled door, overlight with a pattern of glazing bars, panelled reveals and doorcase with incised pilasters and moulded entablatures. Early 20th century French windows. The early 17th century wing faces south-east and has an irregular four window front. All except one are original with hollow-chamfered granite mullions and contain 20th century rectangular panes of leaded glass.
The early 19th century interior of the main block is well-preserved and of good quality. The earlier block was refurbished circa 1982 but the early 17th century fabric survives substantially intact. Some ornamental plasterwork is dated 1636. The original roof survives comprising a frame trusses. See designation record for further list details.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

House is shown on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

SX 68 NE CHAGFORD - 3/77 Waye Barton - GV II
House, former barton. Early C17, rearranged and partly rebuilt in early C19, refurbished circa 1982. Granite stone rubble walls with large dressed granite quoins, the early C19 section was originally stuccoed but is now exposed; granite stacks with granite ashlar chimney shafts; slate roof.
Plan and development: L-shaped building. The principal rooms are in the north-east facing early C19 block which has a 2-room plan with with a central entrance hall and stairs projecting to rear. Each room here has a rear lateral stack. A wing which is all that remains from the earlier house projects forward from the right (north- eastern) and was converted to service use in the early C19. It has a 2-room plan with a lobby between and end stacks. Behind the rear of this wing is a C19 store. Both blocks are 2 storeys but the early C19 block is taller.
Exterior: The early C19 block has a symmetrical 3-window front arranged around a central doorway; the original panelled door, overlight with a pattern of glazing bars, panelled reveals and doorcase with incised pilasters and moulded entablatures. It is flanked by early C20 French windows built into the original window embrasures. The first floor windows are original, a central 12-pane sash flanked by 16-pane sashes. All these windows have flat concrete architraves put there circa 1969 when the stucco was removed. On the rear the stair turret contains a tall 18-pane sash. Roof is hipped to left, gable-ended to right. The early C17 wing faces south-east and has an irregular 4-window front. All except 1 are original with hollow-chamfered granite mullions and contain C20 rectangular panes of leaded glass. The doorway left of centre is also original; an elliptical arch with broad ovolo-moulded surround. Roof here is gable-ended. Some C20 outshots on rear and C20 back door is made up from pieces of C17 moulded granite found in the garden.
Interior: The early C19 interior of the main block is well-preserved and of good quality. The earlier block was refurbished circa 1982 but the early C17 fabric survives substantially intact. In the left room (adjoining the Georgian block) the crossbeam is soffit-chamfered with scroll stops. The fireplace here is blocked. The partition to the central lobby is an oak plank-and-muntin screen with unusually narrow muntins. The beam here is a replacement and the oak stairs date from circa 1982. In the right room the crossbeam is boxed in but the original fireplace is exposed, built of granite with a soffit-chamfered and late step stopped oak lintel. On the first floor the left end chamber contains some delightful ornamental moulded plasterwork dated 1636. Above a probably blocked fireplace in the end wall there is a rectangular plaque defined by a broad rib enriched with flowers and with small carnation sprays on the corners. It contains a winged cherub head in the middle of the date 1636. Above and below are the initials IP, each separated by a number, 23 and 27. This is very unusual and appears to commemorate ages with initials. Maybe it is a wedding plaque. There is a shield to right but a left one is missing. There is other plasterwork around the room including royal badges with the initials CR, moulded cornices along the purlins, 1 purlin has a frieze along its front, and other floral sprays. In the middle chamber (now a stair landing) there is a late C17 painted plaque with a Biblical (mis)quotation.
The original roof survives comprising A-frame trusses.
The older wing is the remains of a high quality house. It was the home of the Prouz family in the C16 and up to 1664. One of the plaster initials probably commemorates one John Prouz. Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SX6885886972

Sources / Further Reading

SDV259032Article in Serial: Ormerod, G. W.. 1876. A historical sketch of the parish of Chagford. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 8. Unknown. 76.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350463List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Chagford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 65.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #96748 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77265Part of: Wayne Barton farmstead, Chagford (Monument)
MDV33357Related to: Range of outbuildings at Waye Barton, Chagford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 19 2018 12:23PM