HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV61684
Name:Pumping Engine House, South Hooe Mine

Summary

The remains of the pumping engine house, probably erected in the 1830s, are well preserved and relatively stable.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 424 655
Map Sheet:SX46NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBere Ferrers
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBERE FERRERS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX46NW/508/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ENGINE HOUSE (XIX - 1835 AD to 1836 AD (Between))

Full description

Nance, R. W. + Nance, R. D., 1996, A Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon, 109-122 (Article in Serial). SDV241746.

Remains of South Hooe Mine buildings. Several have been converted into outbuildings of a property centred on the mine captain's house. Ruinous buildings include the pumping engine house built into the cliff on the bank of the Tamar. This is largely intact, although nothing remains of the boiler house. Only the base of the separate stack remains, above and to the northwest of the engine house.


Nance, R. D., 1996, Project Design for a Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon (Report - Assessment). SDV222663.


Buck, C., 1998, Preliminary Assessment of Industrial Sites of Archaeological Importance in the Tamar Valley, 58 (Report - Assessment). SDV336795.


Buck, C., 2009, South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, Devon: Archaeological Assessment, 30 (Report - Assessment). SDV344692.

The engine house was probably erected in 1835/6, when the company first started. It is shown on the 'Bereferris Manor Map' of 1844, and all subsequent maps. The engine would have been pumping Engine Shaft and all the related levels of the mine to a depth of 250 fathoms. The chimney was originally at the rear of the engine house, but was subsequently replaced by one on the hillside above, connected by a flue. The building is partially extant, the ivy which has covered it for years has been removed to reveal a relatively stable and well preserved structure. It is 9.5 metres long, 6.4 metres wide and 10 metres high. All of the main timber lintels have rotted and many have gone, causing masonry above to collapse, including both sides of the northern part of each wing wall, and the rear wall to the ground level of the back of the engine house. Both east and west elevations have a doorway at ground level, the western side retaining the original timber lintel. In addition another doorway is set into the back of the east wall. Two granite stones, set on the bob wall, would have provided additional stability for the placement of the iron fulcrum housing to locate the heavy 10 ton bob. Internally, many of the windows are splayed, with evidence of a number of joist holes and the steam pipe opening from the adjacent boiler house. Behind the rear of the building is a concrete slab, covering a septic tank, which appears to be on the site of the original chimney. Other details: Figures 4-8, 11-13, 15, site 1.


Gould, R., 2009, South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, West Devon: A Report on the Results of a Desktop Study and a Surface Reconnaisance Inspection in Relation to Past Metalliferous Mining Activity, 7, 10, 13 (Report - non-specific). SDV347326.

A substantially intact engine house, but in a poor state of repair. The north wall has been demolished and most of the masonry of the chimney removed. The other three sides are intact, however there is a degree of uncertainty concerning the stability of the front (bob) wall, as the location and condition of Engine Shaft have not been properly assessed. Other details: Figures 7-10; photos 1-3.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.


Buck, C., 2010, South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, Devon: Report on Building Conservation Works, 13-14, 18-24 (Report - Watching Brief). SDV345594.

General building works to the extant building were undertaken after ivy and unstable sections of upper walling were removed. Removal of a large build up of earth and rubble from the rear of the interior revealed another doorway to the engine house on the west side and the concrete block side of a sewage sump in the cylinder door opening. Second hand horizontal timber sleepers were used to structurally retain the higher ground and features in front of each opening. Rotted lintel timbers on three sides of the building were removed and replaced with tanalised wood. Wall capping and repointing of masonry with lime mortar was undertaken where appropriate. Following removal of the interior earth and rubble fill from the inside of the rear of the engine house, and given the existing ground levels outside the rear north wall, a steep drop into the engine house was a severe safety hazard which necessitated the construction of a timber post and rail fence. In addition, second hand granite steps were installed to replace steep timber steps, in order to form safe passage around the north side of the engine house. Other details: Figures 2-17.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV222663Report - Assessment: Nance, R. D.. 1996. Project Design for a Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon. Project Design for a Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon. Unknown.
SDV241746Article in Serial: Nance, R. W. + Nance, R. D.. 1996. A Survey of Engine Houses on the Mines of South Devon. Mining History: Bulletin PDMHS. The Archaeology of Mining and Metallurgy in South-West Britain. 13, Number 2. A4 Paperback. 109-122.
SDV336795Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 1998. Preliminary Assessment of Industrial Sites of Archaeological Importance in the Tamar Valley. Cornwall Archaeological Unit Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 58.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #96848 ]
SDV344692Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2009. South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, Devon: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2009R077. A4 Stapled + Digital. 30.
SDV345594Report - Watching Brief: Buck, C.. 2010. South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, Devon: Report on Building Conservation Works. Cornwall County Council Report. 2010R124. A4 Stapled + Digital. 13-14, 18-24.
SDV347326Report - non-specific: Gould, R.. 2009. South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, West Devon: A Report on the Results of a Desktop Study and a Surface Reconnaisance Inspection in Relation to Past Metalliferous Mining Activity. Frederick Sherrell Report. 3403. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7, 10, 13.

Associated Monuments

MDV5441Part of: South Hooe Silver and Lead Mine, Bere Ferrers (Monument)
MDV77863Related to: Boiler House, South Hooe Mine (Monument)
MDV77867Related to: Engine Shaft, South Hooe Mine (Monument)
MDV77885Related to: Incline Plane Shaft, South Hooe Mine (Monument)
MDV77868Related to: Row of Mine Buildings, South Hooe Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4752 - Archaeological Assessment of South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, Devon
  • EDV4753 - Field Survey of South Hooe Mine, Bere Alston, Devon
  • EDV4944 - Watching Brief on Building Conservation Works at South Hooe Mine

Date Last Edited:Jun 13 2011 3:07PM