HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV6176
Name:Cross head at Holy Street, Chagford

Summary

No longer extant, remains of a cross was marked here on the late 19th/early 20th century historic maps by the Ordnance Survey but it could not be found in 1974. Ormerod (1873) and Masson Philips (1937) record the head and arms of a market cross from Chagford was removed to Holy Street farmyard and later built into a wall to preserve it. When the Chagford war memorial was erected in 1928, this part was used along with a modern shaft and base from another cross. See related records. Possible shaft nearby at SX6895 8767.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 688 877
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX 68 NE 3
  • National Monuments Record: 443477
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68NE/54
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX68NE3

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ormerod, G. W., 1873-1874, Wayside Crosses in the District bordering the east of Dartmoor, 391 (Article in Serial). SDV346648.

A market cross formerly stood on the north side of the market place in Chagford, under a tree, and was removed to Holy Street Farm by the owner, Mr Southmead, where it lay in the farmyard for many years. It was later built into a wall to preserve it, the remains consisting of a simple, much-worn cross with an incised Latin Cross at the centre, the total height being approximately 3 feet, the width across the arms approximately 27 inches.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Stone Cross (Remains of)' marked on the late 19th century historic maps.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 324 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.

Masson Philips records that the war memorial in Chagford churchyard (erected 1928) is constructed from parts of two medieval crosses with a modern shaft added, including the head and arms, 'of an ancient cross (a) of rough rectangular section. On the face, between the arms, there is an incised cross. This cross was formerly built into a wall at Holy Street, and prior to that is said to have stood in or near the market-place at Chagford'.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950/1974, SX68NE3 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV275185.

Remains of a stone cross marked on 1906 map at SX6886 8773 (07/06/1950).
(Visited 05/07/1974) There is now no trace of a cross at this map reference.


Starkey, F. H., 1983, Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks, 131-2 (Monograph). SDV345128.

This has since been reused as the Chagford War Memorial, attached to a medium shaft. The location of the rest of the cross is unknown.


National Monuments Record, 2019, Pastscape, accessed 12/07/2019, 443477 (Website). SDV362732.

An old gate-post/tethering stone, 1.5 metres high at SX 6895 8767 is considered, locally, to be the possible remains of this cross (citing Ordnance Survey Field Investigators Comments, 28/06/1978).


Richards, A. F., 2019, Two crosses near Leigh Bridge, Chagford (Personal Comment). SDV363109.

In 2013, this record (Then named 'Leigh Bridge Cross') was updated with a note about part of the restored cross having been removed by Dartmoor National Park Authority. However, this comment appears to have related to MDV6177 (then known as 'Cross at Leigh Bridge'). This record refers to the remains of a cross marked by the Ordnance Survey on historic maps that has not be seen in this location since the early 20th century (and appears likely to have been built into the Chagford war memorial in 1928); see MDV8236.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 324.
SDV275185Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950/1974. SX68NE3. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #39580 ]
SDV345128Monograph: Starkey, F. H.. 1983. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Paperback Volume. 131-2.
SDV346648Article in Serial: Ormerod, G. W.. 1873-1874. Wayside Crosses in the District bordering the east of Dartmoor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 6. A5 Hardback. 391.
SDV362732Website: National Monuments Record. 2019. Pastscape. https://www.pastscape.org.uk/. Website. accessed 12/07/2019, 443477.

Associated Monuments

MDV8236Related to: Chagford Churchyard Cross and War Memorial (Monument)
MDV107152Related to: Holy Street Farm, Chagford (Monument)
MDV6177Related to: Leigh Bridge Cross, Chagford (Monument)
MDV126034Related to: Possible cross shaft south of Holystreet Manor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 12 2019 12:52PM