HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV61794
Name:Victoria Chambers, 63 High Street, Barnstaple

Summary

Victoria Chambers was built as the Victoria Temperence Hotel in the late 19th century. Five storeys high, it is an outstanding representative of high Victorian building in the High Street. Its corner turret is a local landmark.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 557 333
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/613

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOTEL (XIX - 1889 AD to 1890 AD (Between))

Full description

Timms, S., 16/09/1981, Building (Worksheet). SDV80487.

Victoria Chambers, 63 high street. Built as the Victoria Temperance Hotel. The first section, consisting of stabling for 80-100 horses, lounge, dining hall, kitchens and offices was completed in 1889. The second section, consisting of main stone building facing high street, was completed in 1890 at a cost of £2400. It was sold to Mr Chanter of Torquay in 1896. The building, located at the junction of High Street and Gammon Lane,is currently (1981) included in an application to Devon County Council for demolition and redevelopment of the site.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


Unknown, June 1981, Battle to Save Town Landmark (Article in Serial). SDV351418.


Beacham, P., Nov 1983, Barnstaple Local Public Inquiry. Historic Buildings in Barnstaple Town Centre included in Redevelopment Proposals. Proof Evidence, 2.10 (Report - non-specific). SDV354431.

Victoria Chambers is perhaps the most outstanding representative of high Victorian building in the High Street. Five storeys high, it dominates the street scene in this part of the High Street and the corner turret is a local landmark. The building extends some way back down Gammon Lane with a number of rear extensions. Most of these are in the same local brick at the frontage. The building is of considerable townscape importance, an importance recognised in the development proposals by both the Prudential and Gresham which seek to retain parts of the building. The Prudential proposal involves only the demolition of a small extension to the rear whereas the Gresham application proposes for extensive demolition. It is desirable to retain as much of this building as possible. Consequently, the Prudential proposal, in respect of this building, is the more preferable

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #96864 ]
SDV351418Article in Serial: Unknown. June 1981. Battle to Save Town Landmark. Western Morning News. Newspaper/Magazine Cuttin.
SDV354431Report - non-specific: Beacham, P.. Nov 1983. Barnstaple Local Public Inquiry. Historic Buildings in Barnstaple Town Centre included in Redevelopment Proposals. Proof Evidence. Devon County Council. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.10.
SDV80487Worksheet: Timms, S.. 16/09/1981. Building. Worksheet + Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 7 2014 3:52PM