HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV619
Name:Holy Cross Parish Church, Crediton

Summary

A fine cruciform parish church of local red stone, with 12th to 13th century central tower, 13th or 14th century Lady Chapel and the remaining fabric mainly early 15th century. Major restoration works from mid to late 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 836 002
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4877
  • National Monuments Record: 35557
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/4
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 387119
  • Royal Albert Memorial Museum Accession Number: 210/2007

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XII to XIX - 1101 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Swete, R. J. (Revd), 1792-1801, 564M 'Picturesque Sketches of Devon' by Reverend John Swete, 13/143 (Record Office Collection). SDV337942.


King, R. J., 1874, The Birthplace of Wynfrith or St. Boniface, 73 (Article in Serial). SDV124364.


Kerslake, T., 1877, Traces of the Ancient Kingdom of Dumnonia outside Cornwall, 427-8 (Article in Serial). SDV5885.

The author traces the history of the church back through an earlier dedication to St Gregory to an even earlier time when Crediton may have derived its name from the early British saint St Criede and may have been a very early missionary centre.


Davidson, J. B., 1882, On Some Further Documents Relating to Credition Minster, 265 (Article in Serial). SDV57916.


Smith, Rev. P., 1882, The Early History of Crediton, 193-5 (Article in Serial). SDV337632.


Unknown, 1882 - 1902, Untitled Source (Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry). SDV58754.

Church of the Holy Cross, Crediton. Nave and chancel, both with north and south aisles; an east Lady Chapel; and a central tower. Rood loft and screen stood behind the nave and chancel: screen front was richly panelled, loft above splayed-out on coved arches and ribs - woodwork painted. Rood rose from loft. Stone altar with covering slab about 150 millimeters thick; the lower half chamfered. Smith thinks that there was an early Saxon church on the site of the present building. Leland disagrees, writing in 1840 that "the place where the old cathedrale chirch of Crideton stoode is now occupied with buildings of houses by the new chirche yarde side". See was established about 910 as St. Marys Minster. Following the removal of the See to Exeter in 1050 a body of secular canons was established and a Norman church built, probably on the same site as the Saxon cathedral. No record of this. Dedication to "Church of the Holy Cross and of the Mother of Him Crucified Thereon". See Smith, Davidson and Whitley references.


Risk, J. E., 1896, The Stockleigh parishes, near Crediton, and some of their surroundings, 355 (Article in Serial). SDV339007.

Church of the Holy Cross in Crediton. Gravestone of Thos. Dowrish in the church is dated 1464.


Reichel, O. J., 1898, The Domesday Churches of Devon (Article in Serial). SDV863.


Risk, J. E., 1902, A forgotten episode on Devon county history, 394 (Article in Serial). SDV339008.

Brass of Mary Dowrish died 10th September 1605.


Whitley, H. M., 1902, Inventories of the Collegiate Churches of the Holy Cross, Crediton, 551 (Article in Serial). SDV338976.


Anon, 1908 - 1909, Translation of a charter constituting the Board of Governors of Crediton church, 179-200 (Article in Serial). SDV338965.

King Edward VI granted a charter to the Board of Governors of Crediton church. A translation of the document exists in a manuscript volume belonging to the vicar of Sandford..


Smith-Dorrien, W. M., 1912 - 1913, The early Charters of Crediton, 184-200 (Article in Serial). SDV338967.

A valuable set of seven charters relating to the monastery and cathedral of Crediton form the nucleus of the nineteen Crawford charters now held in the Bodleian Library. The earliest charter was apparently issued in 739. The history of the documents can only be surmised but they probably resided at Crediton from pre-conquest times to the dissolution. See parish files of Crediton, Crediton Hamlets, Newton St Cyres, Upton Pyne, Brampford Speke, Hittisleigh, Drewsteignton, Colebrooke, Morchard Bishop, Sandford, Kennerleigh, Clannaborough, Cheriton Bishop for some details.


Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 457,476,489 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.


Cresswell, B. F., 1916 - 1917, Sittings in Churches, 117 (Article in Serial). SDV15403.

Portions of a stone bench, probably dating from 14th century, may be found in the north choir aisle.


Reichel, O. J., 1916 - 1917, Teigngrace Church, 110 (Article in Serial). SDV313042.

Three different dedications to Crediton church referred to.


Cresswell, B. F., 1918 - 1919, Armour etc., in Devon and Cornwall Churches, 85 (Article in Serial). SDV338518.


Chope, R. P., 1918 - 1919, Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches, 71 (Article in Serial). SDV338980.


Cresswell, B. F., 1918-1919, Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches, 6 (Article in Serial). SDV7613.

Two coffin-shaped slabs are the oldest memorials in the church. One is preserved in the south transept. The other which is broken lies outside against the south wall.


A. L. R., 1920 - 1921, Armour, Helmets etc., in Devon and Cornwall, 92 (Article in Serial). SDV15405.

An early 16th century war helmet once hung over the Perriam monument. Also remains of armour in the Governers' Room.


Morris, G. T. W, 1924 - 1925, Will of Symon Slader, 323 (Article in Serial). SDV338970.

Bequest in the will of Symon Slader for repairs to the church in 1536.


Cresswell, B. F., 1927, Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders, 157, 163 (Article in Serial). SDV124362.

Neglect and carelessness allowed original Norman church to dilapidate during 13th and 14th centuries. Sometime between 1523, when the church was described as an utter desolation, and 1540, when it was described as having 'no maner or token of antiquity', the Perpendicular church was constructed. Font and central tower remain from Norman times.


Tapley-Soper, H., 1928 - 1929, Books at Crediton Church, 274 (Article in Serial). SDV338968.

The collection of books at Crediton church is noted.


Watkin, H. R., 1930 - 1934, Seven Hundred Years Ago. AD 1232, 210-1 (Article in Serial). SDV81790.

Three, possibly four Purbeck stone grave slabs exist at Crediton. Exposed to the weather on the north side of the church. Believed by the author to be the graves of family of members of the VI Crusade.


Copeland, G. W., 1945, Fourteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 130 (Article in Serial). SDV339003.

Coins were found in leather bag under the vestry ceiling in the Church of the Holy Cross in Crediton. One of these was a little gold angel of Charles II which had been used as a touch-piece when the king attended service at St Andrew's church in Plymouth.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 94-5 (Monograph). SDV336217.

Pevsner describes architecture of building. He notes straight ambulatory behind altar wall, an unusual feature in Devon, Lady Chapel, clerestory, etc. He records church fittings: Norman font, sedilia, oak chest, money box in south-east porch, and monuments.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 379 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Edward VI dissolved Collegiate Church in 1547. In essence it is a 12th century cruciform church extensively remodelled in late 14th - early 15th century. Fifteenth century clerestory unusual for Devon. The grammar school was kept in the Lady Chapel from foundation in 1547 until 1859.


Radford, C. A. R., 1957, Crediton, Collegiate Church of the Holy Cross, 140-1 (Article in Serial). SDV338136.

Excavations at the east end of the south Quire aisle showed old foundations cut by 13th century sleeper wall. Apse revealed west of Sully tomb.


Everett, A. W., 1959 - 1961, Discovery of a piscina in Credtion church, 148-9 (Article in Serial). SDV338973.


Williams, H. F. F., 1962 - 1964, A Binding in the Library of Crediton Church, 67-8 (Article in Serial). SDV338974.

Books in library discussed.


Department of Environment, 1972, Urban District of Crediton, 1 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV39769.

Fine cruciform Parish Church of local red stone. Transitional central tower. Lady Chapel 13th or 14th century. Remainder mainly early 15th century. Two storey Chapel House on south side of Choir. Monuments. Sedilia. Church library.


Devon Record Office, 1973, An Inventory of Goods Belonging to the Parish Church at Crediton 1559 (Article in Serial). SDV359085.


Delderfield, E., 1977, Red Sandstone and a Fund of Treasures (Article in Serial). SDV338964.

The Church of the Holy Cross; the original building was erected in the 12th century, but the base of the tower only remains of that period. The Lady Chapel, used as a school for 300 years, dates from the 13th century. The whole edifice was remodelled in the 15th century. The nave has 6 bays. The chancel has modern stalls with carvings of grapes, roses and acorn. A reredos was erected to the memory of Walter Smith-Dorrien who served the church for 25 years. There is a rare panelled Easter Sepulchre, severely mutilated. Square based font with a fine carved oak canopy; Norman. Over the porch is a room with a library of chained books. A great muniment chest with 5 locks made circa 1420. A number of the fine tombs and monumental brasses.


Whittemore, P. J., 1978 - 1981, The Lost Monumental Brasses of Devonshire., 111-2 (Article in Serial). SDV57403.

Lost brasses from Crediton discussed. Inscription given.


Cook, D., 1979, The Church of the Holy Cross, Crediton (Pamphlet). SDV338972.

Illustrated guide contains plan and select bibliography.


Timms, S. C., 1980, Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton (Report - non-specific). SDV354697.


Allan, J. P. + Keen, L., 1983, Medieval Floor Tiles in Exeter Museum, 135-7 (Article in Serial). SDV123604.

32 tile fragments stored for many years at the church, came originally from the chancel floor and were removed in the 19th century. Similar to tiles from Exeter Cathedral and Bradninch Manor.


Griffith, F. M., 1984, DAP/DF, 6-8A (Aerial Photograph). SDV337383.


Henderson, C. G. + Weddell, P. J., 1985, Archaeological Investigations at Crediton Vicarage 1984: Preliminary Report (Report - Assessment). SDV53274.

The early history of the church and minster is discussed.


Griffith, F. M., 1986, DAP/GE, 1-3 (Aerial Photograph). SDV338981.


Weddell, P. J., 1986, The Saxon Minster Collegiate Church and Bishop's Palace at Crediton, 2, 5 (Report - Survey). SDV53415.

The church was known as St. Mary's prior to 1230. The Collegiate Church of Credition was dissolved in 1545 and in 1547 the king granted the church together with the churchyard, vicar's house and school house back to the parishioners of Crediton.


Devon Religious Houses Survey, 1986-7, Devon Religious Houses Survey. Crediton (Archive - Survey). SDV358570.

Includes copies of old maps, plans and elevation drawings.


Griffith, F. M., 1988, Devon's Past. An Aerial View, 67 (Monograph). SDV64198.

The church is built of local new red sandstone; while the earliest parts of the existing fabric date from the 12th century, most of it is 15th century work, retaining the Norman cruciform plan.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 295-7 (Monograph). SDV325629.

No evidence remains for the pre-Conquest cathedral. The church was collegiate from the early 12th century until the Reformation; hence its unusual plan, with an east part as long as the nave, and a tower over the crossing as its main elevational feature. Description includes plan of church.


Reid, R., 1996, The Architectural Work of George Wightwick, 130 (Article in Serial). SDV336171.

Wightwick claimed in 1838 that he was to refit and improve the church but there is no evidence of this work. Repairs were undertaken in 1848.


Borthwick, A., 1999, Land off Mill Street, Crediton: The archaeological and historical implications of development, 3-4 (Report - Assessment). SDV323116.


Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, 2, 3 (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.


English Heritage, 2004, Centre for Archaeology Report Summaries Volume 7: January to June 2004 (Report - non-specific). SDV355621.


2004, Tree ring date lists 2004 (Article in Serial). SDV361593.

The following tree ring dates are listed for the Holy Cross Church, CREDITON, (SS 836002):
(a) Clock chamber floor Felling date range: 1524-37
(b) Clock chamber forked struts Felling date range: 1519-55
(c) Clock chamber ceiling Felling dates: Winter 1535/6; Spring 1537
(d) Bell frame - reused timbers Felling date: 1532
(e) Vestry floor Felling date range: 1447-70
(f) Vestry roof Felling date: Winter 1793/4


Tyers, I., 2004, Tree-ring Analysis of Oak Timbers from Holy Cross Church, Crediton (Report - non-specific). SDV338975.

Tree-ring analysis undertaken in 2003 revealed that timbers felled in the 1530s are present in the clock tower. The 'Governors Room' had timbers from the mid 15th and late 18th century.


WSP Environmental Ltd, 2005, Mill Street, Crediton: Archaeological Assessment, Appendix 1 (Report - Assessment). SDV338960.

15th century church with later alterations. Possibly occupies the site of a Saxon monastery and cathedral. Excavations revealed a 13th century sleeper wall and apse. Also Lady Chapel of 13th or 14th century.


Gent, T. H., 2007, Review of the Archaeological Evidence for the Location of the Saxon Minster at Crediton (Report - Assessment). SDV339904.

A geophysical survey undertaken in 2007 investiagated an area of approximately 2.8 hectares centred on the Church of the Holy Cross in Crediton. No physical evidence for the site of the Saxon minster was identified. The study established the presence of significant features not associated with the Saxon church.


GSB Prospection, 2007, The Search for Saxon Crediton (Report - Geophysical Survey). SDV344212.

The geophysical survey in 2007 suggested that the Saxon cathedral shared the same footprint as the present church. There do not appear to be any substantial structural remains in the grounds apart from small burial vaults and possibly the remains of former buildings which the churchyard later encompassed. Anomalies within the south aisle and St Nicholas's Chapel inside the church correlate well with Norman sections of the church walls which may overlie the Saxon remains. Anomalies within the nave appear to have an orientation different to the present church suggesting they may not be of ecclesiastical origin.


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 610, (Vol 5), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Crediton Church SS836002
A wooden cross stood near the altar in Crediton Church. It was displayed during the flower festival (June 2010). The cross is of rectangular section, made from wood and intricately carved, with the tinners’ rabbits symbol at the top of the cross head. The cross was made by Paul Cook of Woodart Words.
Cross height 1.9 metres, span 1.21 metres.


National Monuments Record, 2010, 35557, SS80SW9 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV338977.

A largely 15th century church with later restorations, which may be on the site of a Saxon monastery and cathedral. A fine cruciform parish church of local red stone, with Transitional Period central tower, 13th or 14th century Lady Chapel and the remaining fabric mainly early 15th century. The church was collegiate from the 12th century until the Reformation.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Parish Church of the Holy Cross in Crediton. Bulk of the building early 15th century with some fabric of the 12th and 13th century; major restoration 1848-1877 by John Hayward of Exeter, further work by Hayward and Blomfield 1887-9, and in 1913 by William Weir. Local volacanic trap and red sandstone ashlar, the 13th century masonry rubble, the medieval dressings volcanic trap and Beerstone, the 19th century Bathstone. Roof concealed behind parapets, probably lead.
Plan: Long east end reflects the collegiate status of church from the 12th century to the Reformation. 2-bay chancel with chancel aisles; east end 3-bay Lady Chapel; 6-bay aisled nave with clerestory and transepts; central crossing tower; south east chapter house; south porch. Lower parts of crossing tower mid 12th century, upper stages 13th century. Lady Chapel and south-east Chapter House 13th century; church described as "ruinous" in 1413, nave rebuilt early 15th century.
Exterior: south side is the show front with coped embattled parapets to aisle and clerestory; aisle buttresses with moulded set-offs and copings. 4-light Perpendicular traceried windows to the aisle, 3-light to west and east ends; tall 3-light Perpendicular traceried clerestory windows, 4-light to the choir clerestory. Grand 2-storey south porch in 3rd bay from the west, the merlons of the embattled parapet decorated with blind quatrefoils in Beerstone panels. Moulded volcanic trap outer doorway below a 2-light square-headed window with cinquefoil-headed lights. The porch is stone vaulted with carved foliage bosses and vaulting shafts with shallow-carved capitals. Moulded inner doorway with a foliage-carved arch. Unusual, possibly 18th century wrought iron gate to outer doorway. The buttressed south transept has a plain coped parapet; 6-light Perpendicular traceried south window with a king mullion, 4-light window on east return. The semi-circular embattled stair turret to north west corner with a small, flat-roofed porch to the south with a north doorway were added to the designs of George Wightwick, plans dated 1836. Chapter House 2 bays on beyond the transept with a 5-sided south-west stair turret. The chapter house has diagonal buttresses and is partly stone rubble; 3 storeys with a plain parapet above a moulded string which rises to form the hoodmould of a pair of triple lancets in the second floor centre, flanked by single lancets, all by John Hayward 1864. 2 first and 3 ground floor square-headed windows, the ground floor windows with relieving arches. The west side has 2 square-headed and one lancet window and a moulded 2-centred doorway with a hoodmould and a probably late 17th century studded door with Y panelling. The moulded string below the parapet on the east rises as an ogee arch; scattered fenestration of small square-headed windows, 2 with mullions. The south aisle has a 3-light east end window. The Lady Chapel, projecting beyond the chancel to the east, is rubble masonry with a plain parapet; 2 3-light 19th century Perpendicular style windows to the south and north sides and a blocked doorway on the south to the east. The east end of the chapel has a 4-light Perpendicular window, the wall surface above thickens and is corbelled out on either side of the window. The north choir aisle has 2 3-light windows to the east, then 5 similar windows westwards to the transept. The window in the third bay from the transept is shorter to accommodate a moulded north doorway with steps up, late 17th century studded door with Y-panelling and an early 19th century overthrow with a lamp. North transept matches the south, including a semi-circular stair turret and porch block by Wightwick, but retains some rubble masonry on the west side. 6-bay north aisle, windows matching the south aisle. 3rd bay from the west is blind above a wide crank-arched doorway carved with ball flowers. Grand west end ensemble, the ends of the aisles flush with the nave which has a massive 8-light Perpendicular traceried window with a king mullion above a moulded doorway with a pair of 19th century doors. 3-stage embattled crossing tower with a clasping north-west stair turret. Round-headed windows to the second stage indicate 12th century origins; the belfry stage has pairs of very tall, louvred lancets flanked by blind trefoil-headed recesses. Embattled parapet is corbelled out with big octagonal embattled pinnacles with crocketted finials crowned with crosses.
Interior: Unplastered walls since the Hayward restoration, the internal masonry mauve volcanic trap and very unusual in colouring. Early 15th century nave arcades with moulded arches, the moulding carried down through the piers which moulded bases and engaged corner shafts with foliage-carved capitals. Moulded string with fleurons above the arcade, punctuated with carved corbels supporting the shafts to the 19th century (Hayward) tie beam roof with arched braces, pierced spandrels and plainer intermediate ties. Moulded ridge and purlins with moulded diagonal ribs to each bay and carved bosses at the intersections. Clerestory windows have deep, hollow-chamfered rere arches and shafts carried down to the string course. Aisle windows similarly treated, the shafts carried down to the level of low seats. Flat 19th century (Hayward) aisle roofs with moulded ribs and carved bosses. The west end has an unusual internal treatment: the projecting, foliage carved sill forms a continuous cornice across the west end with moulded stub walls flanking the west doorway forming recesses with seats to north and south. Plain double arch to tower, the piers with engaged shafts, capital carving includes scallops; plain, tall, 2-centred arches from the aisle into the crossing. Tall ashlar walls divide the choir from the choir aisles. On the south side a pair of tall blocked arches in the south wall, probably leading to a former chapel on the ground floor of the Chapter House. The choir has an enriched version of the nave roof, the wall surface is similar to the nave but the vaulting shafts are carried right down to the capitals of the pier shafts. Chancel stepped up with a 1924 reredos by Fellowes Prynne; 14th century piscina in the east wall with a cusped head and sexafoil in the gable, the surface dressed back to the wall plane. The south wall contains an early 15th century triple sedilia, very damaged, with Lierne vaulting. The rear, to the aisle, includes a tomb chest with a vaulted recess and remains of high quality figure carving and original colour. Fine 13th century Lady Chapel with north and south doorways from the aisles with triple chamfered arches on big half shafts with bell capitals. The windows have deep internal splays, the inner arches with shafts carried down to shallow seats below the sills, the east and 2 eastern windows in the north and south sides with internal hoodmoulds. Blocked doorway on the west wall. Late 13th century double-gabled piscina with trefoil-headed arches, re-sited, on the south wall. 19th century roof, a simplified version of the others. The transepts also have 19th century roofs. Governors' Room on the first floor of the Chapter House has a chamfered cross beam and closely-spaced joists; a fireplace with chamfered granite lintel and jambs; wide floorboards.
Fittings: Norman font with cover by Caroe of 1904; 19th century Perpendicular drum pulpit on a wine glass stem, carved with figures of saints. Choir stalls 1877-87 by Hayward; nave benches and governors' stalls in the choir 1900. 19th century floors throughout.
Monuments: Numerous, include tomb chest at the east end of the south choir aisle, said to be Sir John Sully, died 1387 and his wife. In the chancel a standing wall monument to Sir William Perriam, died 1605, has pilasters with an entablature and achievement. The figure of Sir William, leans on one elbow with his family in relief, kneeling on the chest below. 1630 monument, admired by Pevsner, to John and Elizabeth Tuckfield, her figure seated and flanked by medallions with busts of the husband and son, bay divided by black Ionic columns; broken alabaster pediment above. Spectacular monument of 1911 by Caroe, executed Dart and Francis of Crediton, to Sir Redvers Buller, covers the tower arch, facing the nave. Terra cotta sculpted figures, decorated with mosaic; iconography of the memorial thoroughly military with warrior saints and a frieze of Victoria crosses.
Stained Glass: Several good windows by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake; 1913 window in north aisle by Hugh Arnold; armorial window in south transept by Horace Williamson, 1926.
There was a pre-Conquest Cathedral on the site, before Exeter became the centre of the See. After the Reformation, the church was purchased by a group of Crediton worthies and is still run by a committee of self-electing Governors. One of the 2 largest and grandest parish churches in Devon, the other being Ottery St.Mary. The church is well documented: recent unpublished accounts of the building and its fittings are mostly available in the archives of the Devon Nineteenth-Century Churches Project.


Unknown, Unknown, A Short Guide to Crediton Parish Church (Pamphlet). SDV354688.

The church stands on the site of Devon's first Saxon cathedral and an ealier monastic settlement. Most of the present structure dates from the 15th century although the lower sections of the tower are thought to be circa 1100 and the Lady Chapel and Chapter House circa 13th century. Many alterations were made n the 19th century including removing box pews, renewing the nave roof and revealing internal walls which had been previously covered in plaster and whitewash.
The church is unusual in that it is a church Peculiar. It has been owned by 12 church governors ever since 1547 when the townspeople bought the church from Henry VIII.
Features mentioned in the pamphet include the Norman font, the wrought iron gates to the south porch which are thought to be the work of the 17th century Crediton blacksmith, Simon Leach and the memoiral to Sir Redvers Buller which covers the west arch of the tower and dates from 1911. The organ occupies the north transept and is a memorial to those who died in the First World War. It was built in 1921 and replaced an earlier organ dating from 1822. The eight old bells dating from 1774 were recast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in 2004 and reinstalled with a new frame.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338960Report - Assessment: WSP Environmental Ltd. 2005. Mill Street, Crediton: Archaeological Assessment. WSP Report. 12262065. A4 Stapled + Digital. Appendix 1.
SDV15405Article in Serial: A. L. R.. 1920 - 1921. Armour, Helmets etc., in Devon and Cornwall. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 11.1. Unknown. 92.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 295-7.
SDV338970Article in Serial: Morris, G. T. W. 1924 - 1925. Will of Symon Slader. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 13. Unknown. 323.
SDV338977National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 35557. National Monuments Record Index. Website. SS80SW9.
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV339904Report - Assessment: Gent, T. H.. 2007. Review of the Archaeological Evidence for the Location of the Saxon Minster at Crediton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.69. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV53415Report - Survey: Weddell, P. J.. 1986. The Saxon Minster Collegiate Church and Bishop's Palace at Crediton. Devon Religious Houses Survey. 6. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2, 5.
SDV338136Article in Serial: Radford, C. A. R.. 1957. Crediton, Collegiate Church of the Holy Cross. Archaeological Journal. 114. Unknown. 140-1.
SDV344212Report - Geophysical Survey: GSB Prospection. 2007. The Search for Saxon Crediton. GSB Prospection Report. 2007/38. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV57403Article in Serial: Whittemore, P. J.. 1978 - 1981. The Lost Monumental Brasses of Devonshire.. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 34. Unknown. 111-2.
SDV863Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1898. The Domesday Churches of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 30. A5 Paperback.
SDV15403Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1916 - 1917. Sittings in Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 9: Part 1. Unknown. 117.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 94-5.
SDV337942Record Office Collection: Swete, R. J. (Revd). 1792-1801. 564M 'Picturesque Sketches of Devon' by Reverend John Swete. Devon Record Office Collection. Unknown + Digital. 13/143.
SDV338518Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1918 - 1919. Armour etc., in Devon and Cornwall Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 10 Part 1. Unknown. 85.
SDV124364Article in Serial: King, R. J.. 1874. The Birthplace of Wynfrith or St. Boniface. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 20. Unknown. 73.
SDV313042Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1916 - 1917. Teigngrace Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 9 Part 1. Unknown. 110.
SDV336171Article in Serial: Reid, R.. 1996. The Architectural Work of George Wightwick. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 128. A4 Stapled. 130.
SDV338965Article in Serial: Anon. 1908 - 1909. Translation of a charter constituting the Board of Governors of Crediton church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 5 Part 1. Unknown. 179-200.
SDV338973Article in Serial: Everett, A. W.. 1959 - 1961. Discovery of a piscina in Credtion church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 23. Unknown. 148-9.
SDV124362Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1927. Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 157, 163.
SDV337383Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1984. DAP/DF. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 6-8A.
SDV5885Article in Serial: Kerslake, T.. 1877. Traces of the Ancient Kingdom of Dumnonia outside Cornwall. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 427-8.
SDV338968Article in Serial: Tapley-Soper, H.. 1928 - 1929. Books at Crediton Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 15. Unknown. 274.
SDV338976Article in Serial: Whitley, H. M.. 1902. Inventories of the Collegiate Churches of the Holy Cross, Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 34. A5 Hardback. 551.
SDV53274Report - Assessment: Henderson, C. G. + Weddell, P. J.. 1985. Archaeological Investigations at Crediton Vicarage 1984: Preliminary Report. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. Occasional Paper. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 379.
SDV337632Article in Serial: Smith, Rev. P.. 1882. The Early History of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 14. A5 Hardback. 193-5.
SDV338974Article in Serial: Williams, H. F. F.. 1962 - 1964. A Binding in the Library of Crediton Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 29. Unknown. 67-8.
SDV338980Article in Serial: Chope, R. P.. 1918 - 1919. Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 10 Part 1. Unknown. 71.
SDV64198Monograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1988. Devon's Past. An Aerial View. Devon's Past. An Aerial View. Paperback Volume. 67.
SDV7613Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1918-1919. Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 10.1. Unknown. 6.
SDV123604Article in Serial: Allan, J. P. + Keen, L.. 1983. Medieval Floor Tiles in Exeter Museum. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 41. Paperback Volume. 135-7.
SDV323116Report - Assessment: Borthwick, A.. 1999. Land off Mill Street, Crediton: The archaeological and historical implications of development. Alison Borthwick & Associates. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3-4.
SDV338964Article in Serial: Delderfield, E.. 1977. Red Sandstone and a Fund of Treasures. Express & Echo. Cutting + Digital.
SDV338972Pamphlet: Cook, D.. 1979. The Church of the Holy Cross, Crediton. Unknown.
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2, 3.
SDV81790Article in Serial: Watkin, H. R.. 1930 - 1934. Seven Hundred Years Ago. AD 1232. Transactions of the Torquay Natural History Society. 6. Unknown. 210-1.
SDV15387Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 457,476,489.
SDV338967Article in Serial: Smith-Dorrien, W. M.. 1912 - 1913. The early Charters of Crediton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 7 Part 1. Unknown. 184-200.
SDV338975Report - non-specific: Tyers, I.. 2004. Tree-ring Analysis of Oak Timbers from Holy Cross Church, Crediton. Centre for Archaeology Report. 32. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV338981Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1986. DAP/GE. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1-3.
SDV57916Article in Serial: Davidson, J. B.. 1882. On Some Further Documents Relating to Credition Minster. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 14. A5 Hardback. 265.
SDV58754Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry: Unknown. 1882 - 1902.
SDV339003Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1945. Fourteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 77. A5 Hardback. 130.
SDV39769List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Urban District of Crediton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 1.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #96900 ]
SDV339007Article in Serial: Risk, J. E.. 1896. The Stockleigh parishes, near Crediton, and some of their surroundings. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 28. A5 Hardback. 355.
SDV339008Article in Serial: Risk, J. E.. 1902. A forgotten episode on Devon county history. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 34. A5 Hardback. 394.
SDV355621Report - non-specific: English Heritage. 2004. Centre for Archaeology Report Summaries Volume 7: January to June 2004. English Heritage Centre for Archaeology Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV354688Pamphlet: Unknown. Unknown. A Short Guide to Crediton Parish Church. A5 Stapled.
SDV354697Report - non-specific: Timms, S. C.. 1980. Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV358570Archive - Survey: Devon Religious Houses Survey. 1986-7. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Crediton. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV359085Article in Serial: Devon Record Office. 1973. An Inventory of Goods Belonging to the Parish Church at Crediton 1559. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 610, (Vol 5), sketch.
SDV361593Article in Serial: 2004. Tree ring date lists 2004. Vernacular Architecture. 35. Unknown.

Associated Monuments

MDV615Parent of: Church of the Holy Cross, Sundial (Monument)
MDV616Parent of: Cross Shaft, Church of the Holy Cross (Monument)
MDV618Parent of: Sully Memorial, Church of the Holy Cross (Monument)
MDV104339Parent of: War Memorial Organ, Holy Cross Church (Monument)
MDV73887Related to: Church of the Holy Cross, Buller Memorial (Building)
MDV73886Related to: Churchyard Boundary Walls, Railings, Gate Piers and Gates (Building)
MDV108083Related to: Cobbled Pathways at Holy Cross Churchyard (Monument)
MDV12611Related to: Collegiate Buildings, Holy Cross Church, Crediton (Building)
MDV17295Related to: Collegiate Church in Crediton (Monument)
MDV60864Related to: Former Vicarage Garden (Monument)
MDV614Related to: Libbet's Well, Priory Cottage, Crediton (Building)
MDV23393Related to: Palace Cottage, Blagdon, Crediton (Building)
MDV620Related to: Remains of Town Cross, Holy Cross Churchyard, Crediton (Monument)
MDV17296Related to: Saxon Minster at Crediton (Monument)
MDV13969Related to: St Gregory's Cathedral, Crediton (Monument)

Associated Finds

  • FDV3027 - COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV4270 - Mill Street, Crediton
  • EDV4348 - Assessment of a Survey Searching for the Saxon Minster in Crediton
  • EDV4587 - Geophysical Survey around Holy Cross Parish Church, Crediton

Date Last Edited:Jul 19 2018 4:30PM