HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV62763
Name:Tetcott Mill


Corn mill depicted on 19th century mapping. Constructed in 1603, a rare and little-altered example of an early-17th century watermill, although little survives of the working parts. Part of Tetcott Estate.


Grid Reference:SX 329 952
Map Sheet:SX39NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTetcott
Ecclesiastical ParishTETCOTT

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Tetcott Mill and leat, which dates from the early 17th century

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX39NW/524

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CORN MILL (Built 1603, XVII - 1603 AD to 1700 AD (Throughout))
  • WATERMILL (Built 1603, XVII - 1603 AD to 1700 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

A probable structure depicted in this location appears to comprise two circular features, linked by two parallel lines.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

’Tetcott Mill (corn)’ shown as a rectangular building with a leat to the east. Further buildings are shown to the west and south.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Tetcott Mill (Disused)' shown.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 29, 80-81 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

'Tetcott Mill' on the River Tamar. Bodman also gives this grid reference for 'Luffincott Mill'.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 217 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Knight, S., 2013-2015, Land Management Case Work (Personal Comment). SDV351543.

A site visit on the 22nd April 2014 found the mill building to be weatherproof, although threatened by tree growth and lack of maintenance. It apears to have had two waterwheels, one at the north and one at the south end, which suggests that the building has been depicted stylistically rather than in plan on the Tithe map. There are several bricked up former openings and it is clear that some alteration has occurred, including possible reinforcement of the interior face of the northern wall. Some internal fixtures survive, such as a possible wooden launder and stone socket. Large granite quoins and lintels indicate a relatively high status, and this suggests that this structure may have been an estate mill.

Martin Watts, 2014, Tetcott Mill, Tetcott, Devon: Historic Building Appraisal and Management Recommendations (Report - non-specific). SDV358444.

A little-altered example of an early 17th century watermill, with two waterwheels; each drove one or possibly two pairs of millstones, perhaps using treble gearing. Many watermills were rebuilt and re-modelled in the late 18th and 19th centuries and mill buildings which represent a pre-industrial phase are uncommon survivals, both locally and nationally.
Mill orientated north-south, principal elevation facing west, the east side built into the slope. 13.5m by 6m and two storeys, although the first floor did not extend the full length of the building. Local rubble stone, with some granite and dressed stone quoins; timber lintels to door and window openings. Gable ends have stone walling up to about 1.6m, above this north gable infilled with timber studs and corrugated iron sheet, south gable built up to eaves level in brickwork, with corrugated iron above. Remains of slate hang on the external brickwork of the south gable. Little evidence of the working parts of the mill: formerly waterwheels on north and south gable ends. Both wheels probably overshot, presumably fed by launders from the leat along east side of the building. Both wheelpits now filled and overgrown. Tailwater appears to have run into channel to the west, which is now overgrown and waterlogged. Openings for waterwheel shafts are blocked up, visible inside the gable end walls. Slightly arched granite lintel at south end, both internal cog pits filled to uneven floor level. Decayed timber cill beam at north end. Masonry cill at about floor level against the west end with a granite block set horizontally. This has a rectangular mortise cut into it, in which the foot of a timber post would have been located. Both of the end walls have internal beam cills to support horizontal timbers, the rear upper beams of the hurst frames supporting the millstones. Large fireplace with timber lintel north of the central doorway on the west side, with a lateral chimney stack. Some brick patching on the north return and in the west wall may indicate the position of an oven. Windows on the west side closed with corrugated sheets and double vertically-boarded central doors in place. The first floor extended only over the central part of the mill; 11 cross beams. No floor boards. Small window opening with splayed reveals at high level in the east wall towards the north end and a larger opening in the central bay, gave access onto the first floor platform from the east. Five bay roof: four relatively modern softwood A-frame trusses carry three rows of purlins and ridge purlins. Truss positions may reflect earlier configuration. Clad with corrugated iron sheets and relatively weatherproof.
A stone bearing the date 1603 was moved from the mill to Tetcott House when the latter building was renovated. 1603 construction date supported by documentary research referencing Mary and Edmund Arscott. It is not clear where the stone was located on the mill, although some rebuilding of the stonework above the main entrance on the west elevation is apparent.
The building is relatively sound, although isolated, but management of surrounding trees and overgrowth required to allow it to breathe and reduce potential damage from falling trees and branches. Also drainage of waterlogged ground on the west side. Recommendations made to remove ivy and shrubs from the building, remove the small tree from the chimney stack, treat roots and make stonework good, cut down trees on the mill side of the track, remove shrubby growth immediately to the rear of the mill and cut down several trees in front of the mill; monitor further trees for instability.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 29, 80-81.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 217.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV351543Personal Comment: Knight, S.. 2013-2015. Land Management Case Work.
SDV358444Report - non-specific: Martin Watts. 2014. Tetcott Mill, Tetcott, Devon: Historic Building Appraisal and Management Recommendations. Martin Watts. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV69601Related to: Tetcott Mill Leat, Tetcott (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events


Date Last Edited:Jun 12 2015 7:08PM