HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV63009
Name:Bere Alston Station

Summary

Bere Alston Station opened in 1890 as part of LSWR route from Plymouth to Exeter & closed in 1967

Location

Grid Reference:SX 440 674
Map Sheet:SX46NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBere Ferrers
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBERE FERRERS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX46NW/588

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • RAILWAY STATION (XIX to XX - 1801 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Beddow, Rev. A. J. C., 1975, A History of Bere Ferrers Parish (Pamphlet). SDV325357.


Dyer, M. J. + Manning, P. T., 1998, Objective 5B: Lower Tamar Valley Recreation and Land Management Iinitiative: Cultural Heritage Appraisal, 44-5 (Report - non-specific). SDV319814.

Bere Alston Station opened in 1890 as part of LSWR route from Plymouth to Exeter. Main station range & station house of dressed stone with granite dressings & slate roofs. Important transport link for local market gardening in late 19th - early 20th century. Now privately owned & undergoing conversion. Wooden platform canopy supported on cast-iron pillars. Sheds & wooden signal box disused. Engine sheds in former sidings converted to industrial units.


Smith, J. R., 2006, Bere Alston to Tavistock Railway: Archaeological Assessment, 17 (Report - Assessment). SDV336796.

'Beer Alston Station' was opened by the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction railway on 2nd June 1890. It became known as Bere Alston from 1898. It was the junction for the Callington branch from 1908. The main line was always worked by the LSWR which became part of the Southern Railway in 1923. The line from Bere Alston to Tavistock was closed in 1967 & has gradually returned to nature. Bere Alston Station was still in use in 2005 for the Plymouth to Gunnislake trains to reverse into. The distance from Waterloo is 220 miles 15 chains. The survey in 2005 found most of the major Victorian elements surviving including both platforms, platform canopy, platform shelter, signal box & goods shed. The station master's house was in private ownership. The station has been suggested as a major access point for a new trail. Other details: Figs 1, 2, 5, 6, 38, 41.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV319814Report - non-specific: Dyer, M. J. + Manning, P. T.. 1998. Objective 5B: Lower Tamar Valley Recreation and Land Management Iinitiative: Cultural Heritage Appraisal. Exeter Archaeology Report. 98.60. A4 Stapled + Digital. 44-5.
SDV325357Pamphlet: Beddow, Rev. A. J. C.. 1975. A History of Bere Ferrers Parish. Unknown.
SDV336796Report - Assessment: Smith, J. R.. 2006. Bere Alston to Tavistock Railway: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2006R006. A4 Stapled + Digital. 17.

Associated Monuments

MDV72928Part of: Tavistock to Bere Alston Railway (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4099 - Bere Alston to Tavistock Railway

Date Last Edited:Nov 8 2006 3:32PM