HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV63089
Name:SMELTING HOUSE in the Parish of Dartmoor Forest

Summary

A tin smelting house was in operation at 'bachelors hall' near princetown from 1798-1807. It was erected by t gray in 1795. In the late 1790's john swete described the smelting house as 'on the banks of a small stream which emptied into blackabrook' + had stamping mills. Duchy of cornwall records date from 1798-1804 + indicate that the number of ingots smelted in that period was 223 blocks weighing 27.43 tonnes with a further 1.07 tonnes listed for 1807. In sale particulars of 1828 the smelting house had been converted to a brewery. The site of the brewery is shown on the sale plan as being beside the west bank of the stream where agricultural buildings now stand (greeves).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 601 736
Map Sheet:SX67SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork and walling remains of the late 18th century Bachelor's Hall Tin Mine, Princetown, including remains of a stamping mill and smelting house, leats, stamping floor and a dam

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67SW/33/3
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SMELTING HOUSE (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV234531.

Des=greeves,t. /tin smelting in devon in the 18th + 19th centuries/in newman,p.(ed)/the archaeology of mining + metallurgy in south west britain/(1996)84-90/(mining history:bulletin pdmhs, vol 13 no 2).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV234532.

Gray,t.(ed)/travels in georgian devon: the illustrated journals of the rev j. Swete (1789-1800), vol i/(1997).


Greeves, T. A. P., Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV69961.

A tin smelting house was in operation at 'bachelors hall' near princetown from 1798-1807. It was erected by t gray in 1795. In the late 1790's john swete described the smelting house as 'on the banks of a small stream which emptied into blackabrook' + had stamping mills. Duchy of cornwall records date from 1798-1804 + indicate that the number of ingots smelted in that period was 223 blocks weighing 27.43 tonnes with a further 1.07 tonnes listed for 1807. In sale particulars of 1828 the smelting house had been converted to a brewery. The site of the brewery is shown on the sale plan as being beside the west bank of the stream where agricultural buildings now stand (greeves).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV234531Migrated Record:
SDV234532Migrated Record:
SDV69961Worksheet: Greeves, T. A. P..

Associated Monuments

MDV4735Part of: Bachelors Hall Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM