HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV63127
Name:Belstone Consols Mine Wheelpit

Summary

Wheelpit for a pumping wheel at belstone consols copper mine. One of the largest waterwheels in the country of 21.3 metres diameter was installed in around 1878. This eventually fell into decay after the mine's closure and was broken up for scrap during the First World War.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 632 939
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBelstone
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBELSTONE
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH TAWTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SW/341

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WHEEL PIT (XIX to XX - 1878 AD to 1919 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Wheel pit depicted.


Greeves, T. A. P., 1991, An Assessment of Copper Mining in Devon (Copper, Brass, Tin), 9, 15 + 2 (Report - Assessment). SDV60709.

Wheelpit for a pumping wheel at Belstone Consols copper mine. One of the largest waterwheels in the country of 21.3 metres diameter was installed in approximately 1878 - see Hamilton Jenkins.


Hedley, L. and Cranstone, D., 1995, Monuments Protection Programme, Zink, Copper, Minor Metals, Step Three: The Copper Industry, Introduction to Step 3 Assessments, 18 (Report - non-specific). SDV357718.

7. Belstone Consols wheelpit SX 6329 9390
Site not of national importance.


Hamilton Jenkin, Dr. A. K., 2005, Mines of Devon, 102-103 (Monograph). SDV282410.

Belstone Consols huge 70 foot diameter waterwheel (largest ever erected on mainland Britain) was erected to drain the mine sometime around 1878. The pit in which the wheel turned is still visible just below Higher Sticklepath. Apparently the wheel was painted bright red and was an object of such terror to horses that it was almost impossible to ride or drive them past it.
After the closure of the mine in 1891, the wheel gradually fell into decay and was eventually broken up for scrap in Finch’s Foundry at Sticklepath during the First World War.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV282410Monograph: Hamilton Jenkin, Dr. A. K.. 2005. Mines of Devon. Mines of Devon. Paperback Volume. 102-103.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #97225 ]
SDV357718Report - non-specific: Hedley, L. and Cranstone, D.. 1995. Monuments Protection Programme, Zink, Copper, Minor Metals, Step Three: The Copper Industry, Introduction to Step 3 Assessments. English Heritage. A4 Bound. 18.
SDV60709Report - Assessment: Greeves, T. A. P.. 1991. An Assessment of Copper Mining in Devon (Copper, Brass, Tin). A4 Stapled + Digital. 9, 15 + 2.

Associated Monuments

MDV6879Part of: Belstone Consols Mine at Greenhill (Monument)
MDV105137Related to: Buildings associated with Belstone Consols Mine Leat (Building)
MDV105134Related to: Leats supplying Belstone Consols Mine (Monument)
MDV102811Related to: Weir at Belstone Cleave (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2015 1:05PM